Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm a new potential 7.3 owner. My wife and I are moving to Wisconsin from Illinois and will need a truck to haul building equipment and most likely a camper at some point in our lives. We're both in our late 20's and I have nostalgia for the OBS Fords along with good memories of diesels; a truck like this should serve us well provided my mechanic skills stay good. I'm looking at a 1997 7.3l out of state that is an absolute beauty. The dealer has offered to fly me out there to take a look and buy it. I've never bought or committed to buy anything sight unseen before, so the whole ordeal is fairly stressful.

Seeing as I'd fly out in the morning and drive it back the same day ~7hr trip home, what should I be looking at to make sure it's worth my while? I've read up a few things on this forum already, just checking out seals, leaks, play in the hubs & joints, etc. I'd love to have an in depth look at the turbo also, but can't spend all day inspecting it nor will I have my tools to do so.

The other bit of this is the salvage title. It was rear ended in '03, rebuilt, and has been titled in another, the current, state it resides in under 2 subsequent owners. Any issues you foresee with driving it back to Illinois and registering it here?

Other specs: 269,000 miles, 4x4, supercab w/ 8' bed, 4.10 rear, dealer is asking ~$10,000. The body is in great shape, it had a paint job and is strikingly beautiful. Interior is flawless.

Are congrats in order or should I run?

Thanks folks!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I would be hesitant to pay that. If It was salvaged in 2003 it must of sustained enough damage to total a 6 year old truck. It would of still been worth a fair amount in 2003 I’m guessing so I would assume it received substantial damage

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ik it's still the wrong section, but I'm locally and know the market.

My truck is a 2000, 2003 Salvage. The Cab is a 99 theft recovery that was t-boned in the passenger side in AZ and the frame/motor are from a 7.3 hit in the front. Forward of the leaf spring mounts the frame is welded on. The work was performed at a Ford dealer in Iowa at 59,000 miles. It's now at 221k and seems fine... HOWEVER...

It's not worth 10k. My truck is 3 years newer with less miles and even if it was in PRISTINE condition, no one on the Wisconsin/IL border would give me $10k. $8k maybe. I would keep looking or save that ten grand for something with a clean title. From a reliability and drivability standpoint, salvage titles don't really scare me, but from a value standpoint, take 30-50% off what you'd pay for a clean truck.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Ik it's still the wrong section, but I'm locally and know the market.

My truck is a 2000, 2003 Salvage. The Cab is a 99 theft recovery that was t-boned in the passenger side in AZ and the frame/motor are from a 7.3 hit in the front. Forward of the leaf spring mounts the frame is welded on. The work was performed at a Ford dealer in Iowa at 59,000 miles. It's now at 221k and seems fine... HOWEVER...

It's not worth 10k. My truck is 3 years newer with less miles and even if it was in PRISTINE condition, no one on the Wisconsin/IL border would give me $10k. $8k maybe. I would keep looking or save that ten grand for something with a clean title. From a reliability and drivability standpoint, salvage titles don't really scare me, but from a value standpoint, take 30-50% off what you'd pay for a clean truck.
FIRST.....^^^WHAT HE SAID.....

NEXT.....THE PRICE IS WAY TOO HIGH.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, those are all points I'm thinking about. I have a call with the seller today and I'm going to explain the situation. The truck's been on their lot for 4 months or so judging by the carfax. That, plus distance, plus the hassle of me getting an IL state inspection to title it here is making me think more so in the range of $6,000. We'll see what happens!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah, those are all points I'm thinking about. I have a call with the seller today and I'm going to explain the situation. The truck's been on their lot for 4 months or so judging by the carfax. That, plus distance, plus the hassle of me getting an IL state inspection to title it here is making me think more so in the range of $6,000. We'll see what happens!
Keep temporary plates as long as you possibly can and avoid all that Illinois bullchit. Just register in WI. Seriously. So much easier.

After providing the title etc the lady asked me if I wanted car or truck plates, then gave me 4500lb GVWR truck plates

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dealer wouldn't budge. He was stuck at $10k because he is apparently already losing $2k on the deal. They supposedly put in new injectors, new brakes, CV axles (since when do they have CV's?...), repaired headliner, etc. Plus they were going to fly me out there, so minus another $200.

After courteously explaining to him he must be out of his mind, and that I could get something much better for less, I told him good luck selling and I'll call back in a month. It's already been owned by their family of dealerships for 6 months and hasn't sold.

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
Yeah I’d like to see proof of all the work. 10 is way too much. I would say that if transmission was redone, valve gaskets, gp, injectors, turbo rebuild, fuel bowl rebuild, resealed pan.... that to me is worth 10k.

I just sold one of my 7.3 for 16k with 40k on the block and chit loads of upgrades. It was sold to another truck enthusiast willing and knowing the worth...

Fixing to sell the 4x4 Soon too... guess how many miles it’s got on her?!

“Don’t overthink something simple people... ..:sigh:..”

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'll sell you my 7.3 once I have the transmission back in it. It's already licensed and titled in IL too.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I paid 10 and got Truck,camper shell,overhead camper,truck box,extra set of alloys with studs.

1 owner, 191K E4OD,and lots of preventative maintenance .
I sold the basic 8 ft camper for 2K,so the truck is 8K.
I have since replaced camper with a lance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Dealer wouldn't budge. He was stuck at $10k because he is apparently already losing $2k on the deal. They supposedly put in new injectors, new brakes, CV axles (since when do they have CV's?...), repaired headliner, etc. Plus they were going to fly me out there, so minus another $200.

After courteously explaining to him he must be out of his mind, and that I could get something much better for less, I told him good luck selling and I'll call back in a month. It's already been owned by their family of dealerships for 6 months and hasn't sold.
GOOD MOVE TO LET HIM KEEP IT.....

I DON'T THINK THAT THEY WILL SELL THAT TRUCK AT $8,000.00 OR $10,000.00 TO ANY KNOWLEDGEABLE BUYER.....

MAYBE IT WILL BE THE "CHRISTMAS SPECIAL" THIS DECEMBER.....$6,995.00.....:smile2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts