Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am driving up to Washington from San Jose next week to take a sea trial and probably drive home with a used (2015) aluminum boat. That being said to prepare for this I have lubed every Zerk fitting I can find, have recently changed my engine oil and filters, fuel filters and tomorrow I will change my transmission fluid and air filter. Tires checked, newer brake pads and rotors. I monitor FP, EGT and Boost on a pillar mount gauge and ECT, EOT and TFT on my scan gauge II. I have not towed with this truck since I bought it almost 3 years ago but I have all of the proper mods and equipment to where the truck should have no problem with the trip.
Now, for the reason that I started this thread. I am looking at the owners manual and it shows a maximum tow weight of 12,500lbs. No worries there. The sticker on my receiver hitch shows a weight carrying “Maximum Gross Trailer Weight” of 6000lbs and a “Maximum Tongue Weight” of 600lbs. Worries there. The boat and trailer weight is estimated at 7500lbs. So, does this mean that I have to add a tongue adapter to the boat trailer with a surge brake rated weight distributing hitch? From what I have read Washington LE are known to target California plated vehicles for infractions. I do not really want to test to see if this is true. Thank you for any suggestions.
BTL

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Granted you are in a different country out there on the coast than I am here in the midwest but I personally never sweat it. I noticed that one time also on my hitch and thought well shoot that makes all this pointless...so I just ignore it lol.

I would say equipment-wise you'll be fine but like you said if the popo decides to target you they may get picky.

Reactions: BTL

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
I have never ever seen a 6.0l that was only able to tow 6000lb with the rear hitch according to the owner manual... my 1999 f250 shortbed, extra cab has a 10k rating on the rear hitch with a WD system... Thats the oem 21yr old receiver hitch too. 99% the 12.5k rating is for inbed style hitches (Gooseneck/5th wheel). I would encourage you to re-examine the manual you have... mine for the 1999 f250 is rated to tow more according to the manual.

Your truck is more than capable legally to tow a 7500lb fishing boat. Something is a miss here.

I found a AXEL rating of 6k in a 6.0l owners manual but thats total weight on the rear axel not the tow capacity....

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I believe he was referring to the slide in hitch/ball. That is at least what I was referring to.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
I believe he was referring to the slide in hitch/ball. That is at least what I was referring to.

I know what he was referring to but he looked at the wrong spec. 6k is for the total rear axle weight capacity.... There is no way he is putting 6,000lbs of weight on the rear axel with a 7500lb trailer... Hes probably putting less than 500lb of tongue weight meaning hes got another 2-3k plus of weight he can load ONTO the rear axle. His overal towing copacity is 10k with a WD on the rear receiver and around 12.2-12.6k for an inbed hitch on a 6.0l.

Axel weight rating is not tow capacity and that's what he accidentally looked at.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have never ever seen a 6.0l that was only able to tow 6000lb with the rear hitch according to the owner manual... my 1999 f250 shortbed, extra cab has a 10k rating on the rear hitch with a WD system... Thats the oem 21yr old receiver hitch too. 99% the 12.5k rating is for inbed style hitches (Gooseneck/5th wheel). I would encourage you to re-examine the manual you have... mine for the 1999 f250 is rated to tow more according to the manual.

Your truck is more than capable legally to tow a 7500lb fishing boat. Something is a miss here.

I found a AXEL rating of 6k in a 6.0l owners manual but thats total weight on the rear axel not the tow capacity....
Justin,
Reread the original post.
Like I posted originally the truck is rated to tow heavier with a “WD” Weight Distributing hitch, 12,500lbs. The towing limit is 6000lbs with a “Weight Carrying” hitch. A “WD” (Weight Distributing) hitch is also known as a load distributing hitch. This type of hitch uses steel torsion bars to transfer the tongue weight of the trailer to the tow vehicles hitch. The torsion bars are adjusted so they can lift the rear of the towing vehicle to its normal ride height and distribute the weight to the vehicles frame keeping the factory weight distribution on both front and rear axles. This also keeps the towed vehicles level with the pavement.

BTL

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Justin,
Like I posted originally the truck is rated to tow heavier with a “WD” Weight Distributing hitch, 12,500lbs. The towing limit is 6000lbs with a “Weight Carrying” hitch. A “WD” (Weight Distributing) hitch is also known as a load distributing hitch. This type of hitch uses steel torsion bars to transfer the tongue weight of the trailer to the tow vehicles hitch. The torsion bars are adjusted so they can lift the rear of the towing vehicle to its normal ride height and distribute the weight to the vehicles frame keeping the factory weight distribution on both front and rear axles. This also keeps the towed vehicles level with the pavement.
BTL

Come on man... Im well aware of the various systems... I have all three on my truck. Slider 5th wheel and gooseneck adapter plate for in bed, and then a double ball drop/adjustable for the rear receiver and i think a curt brand WD hitch with the two bars... I just think you need to look at the manual/receiver again. I have never seen a F250/F350, or even a dodge/chevy 2500/3500 that had a max rating on the receiver hitch of 6000lbs. except maybe the gasser models and thats a maybe or even the rare 7 lug light duty f250s that were only made for a little while. Maybe one that just threads through the ball opening on the actual bumper etc. Even when I looked up what ford says regarding capacities with/without WD system on the rear, 4x4, and dual rear wheels the rating differences were minimal at best.

You do have some things confused though.... Sorry it just needs to be cleared. The original receiver hitch that sits under these trucks bumpers from 03-07 were not rated at 12,500 with a WD system either the chain type or torsion bar type. that was for in bed style hitches ONLY.. the 12,500 is just the total cargo/trailer wight it does not mean it applies to the rear receiver just a total number for reference I've seen it done without accident before and may or may not have done it myself. Also the rear axle on the f250/f350 is rated to hold 6k total weight including the rear portion of the truck, cargo/tongue weight. meaning you need to put your truck on a scale and get three measurements. total weight, and the front and rear axle weight and see what the rear is then subtract it from 6k to see what your new limit it...

Towing capacity with or with out a weight distributing hitch system or bumper vs receiver vs in bed hitch is totally different then axle weight rating... They work together but cannot be viewed the same when trying to figure out what your truck is rated for either by the manufacture sticker or local laws. Technically by the book your gross combined on most f250/f350s pre 6.4l power stroke is like 21k or something and most of our truck are between 7-8k

Ugh im loosing myself lol. You are totally safe to tow a 7500lb fishing boat... RV companies have been selling overwight 5th wheels and travel trailers to truck owners for years and people have been skating by accident free 99% of the time.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Justin,
I understand what you are saying for the most part, my point is that I will be towing a trailer with expired Washington tags with my California plated truck. If I get pulled over on the highway in Washington and the officer looks everything over I believe I am screwed. Worse case legal scenario is the officer can look at my owners manual, the sticker on my receiver and the officer can weigh the truck and trailer. He could then issue me a citation if I exceeded the “weight carrying” limits listed and have the boat towed. Then I would have to pay for a citation, tow and impound fees. I would also have to find and buy a weight distributing hitch before I could pick up the boat. I know that people regularly overload their trucks here and post about it. To each his own, I just want to legally (not just safely and functionally) get this boat home without incident.

The above information is directly from the Ford brochure. Read specifically the definitions of both; “Weight Carrying” and “Weight Distributing” then refer to the corresponding weight limits.
Am I still not understanding this correctly?
BTL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Justin,
I understand what you are saying for the most part, my point is that I will be towing a trailer with expired Washington tags with my California plated truck. If I get pulled over on the highway in Washington and the officer looks everything over I believe I am screwed. Worse case legal scenario is the officer can look at my owners manual, the sticker on my receiver and the officer can weigh the truck and trailer. He could then issue me a citation if I exceeded the “weight carrying” limits listed and have the boat towed. Then I would have to pay for a citation, tow and impound fees. I would also have to find and buy a weight distributing hitch before I could pick up the boat. I know that people regularly overload their trucks here and post about it. To each his own, I just want to legally (not just safely and functionally) get this boat home without incident.
BTL

You would be the very first person WA state bulls had mobile scales to weigh a normal truck and trailer combo. Im 99.9 sure you will not be weighed with a boat trailer or bugged in WA, OR, CA etc Now if you had a tandem axle dualy gooseneck trailer with a backhoe on it they may ask you to drive to a scale. I've towed in WA, CA, ID, OR, NV both gooseneck, 5th wheel and bumper/rear receiver pulling and I have never been weighed except at a scale when I was driving a f650 for work with a commercial load...

You can request a temp moving permit from WA and CA though for trailer till you get it registered. Weight is not going to be an issue for you in WA or CA. Expired tags are your biggest risk but, personally I would download two copies of a generic Bill of Sale and you/buyer fill out one each and keep a signed/time and dated copy with you till its registered.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Copy,
I will call the Washington DMV now regarding the expired tags. I have my Boat US membership with trailering insurance active as well as full coverage insurance on standby till I actually have title in hand for the boat. I had prior to this purchase towed a 6300lb (boat and trailer) boat with just a receiver hitch with a 1992 Chevy 1/2 ton gasser without incident for about 11 years. The reason this started for me was the fact that I read two articles without even looking for them regarding CA licensed vehicles being a prime target in Washington. One article was posted by a Washington resident, the other was a California resident. Cheers
BTL
I will also stick a “Get out of jail free” sticker on the rear of the cabin as well. Not that I drive stupid and abuse it because I don’t.

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
I would like to know what aluminum boat and trailer weighs 7500lbs. I have an 18' aluminum boat with a 90hp motor on the back and it's only about 2K with the trailer, the one your getting must be massive.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
7,500 lbs! Have you thought about towing the truck with the boat?

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The trailer weighs 1995 pounds.
Well to give you an idea it has a 9.9hp motor.
And a 300hp motor.
And sits probably 12’ high to the top of the radar while on the trailer.
BTL

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Swap out your factory hitch with a Curt class V hitch (15410). They are available from Summit Racing for $215.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Well I ended up buying the same hitch for the same price from Home Depot. I had a $100.00 gift card so it saved me some out of pocket money.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My 250 has 350 blocks under the spring stack raising the rear slightly. Because of this added height I bought the adjustable 5” drop hitch. To get level I was surprised that I had to flip the hitch over and use it in the “rise” position. Driving home the trailer tracked and towed very smoothly. Unfortunately I began my return trip during Seattle area rush hour traffic and ended the drive 856 miles a day later bay area rush hour traffic.
Very happy that the long journey is over.
BTL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.