Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to look at a 1999 f250 7.3l with 338,000 on the clock tomorrow morning, the truck looks in excellent shape for the miles, hes asking 2400 dollars which has me weary. What should i look for? i know checking the coolant and making sure it doesnt smell like fuel, general oil leaks, and such. where at on these motors is the most common for it to be leaking? the previous owner had it checked out in february with gaskets replaced and the motor gone over so thats a plus. What all should i be looking for??? It sounds like an awesome deal considering it blue books for 6000.. i know theres already threads on this, but theyre older so i wanted to make sure nobody has anything new to ad. But i figured i would ask the guys that know a little more than me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! :icon_ford:

·
Registered
139 Posts
338k isn't a HUGE number, but it is up there, if you have a good scanner take it and check for codes, check for receipts first and foremost, dont take his word for it that it has anything or had x done to it... with out a receipt assume it wasn't done, if it's an auto, when was the last time trans work was done to it( again he should have a reciept for that... check the rear-end, trans, and transfer case for leaks as well. around 300-310 mine crapped the starter, alternator, and power steering pump all within a month... check on the rear firewall for soot behind the turbo, and power steering fluid leaking from the hydrobooster... ask him what it was used for, 300k of pulling a 40' travel trailer is a lot different than commuting miles. have him start it cold, and check for smoke from the tailpipe, on the test drive check for weird noises from the front suspension, if it's a 4x4 engage it, make sure it works properly if it's got power stuff (mirrors, locks, seat ect) make sure they all work... I don't think honestly you can go wrong for $2400 if the body is in good shape, and the interior isn't screwed up horribly, you can part it out for more than that.

I would add that if it was me I would budget a couple hundred for all new fluids to include the diffs, t-case, tranny and coolant as well as oil and all the filters and change them out soon after purchase... also fiddly bits like glow-plugs, and batteries and such... it all adds up quick, but it'll save you a bunch of heartache in the future. If you dont mind a little wrenching it could be a wonderful truck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
338k isn't a HUGE number, but it is up there, if you have a good scanner take it and check for codes, check for receipts first and foremost, dont take his word for it that it has anything or had x done to it... with out a receipt assume it wasn't done, if it's an auto, when was the last time trans work was done to it( again he should have a reciept for that... check the rear-end, trans, and transfer case for leaks as well. around 300-310 mine crapped the starter, alternator, and power steering pump all within a month... check on the rear firewall for soot behind the turbo, and power steering fluid leaking from the hydrobooster... ask him what it was used for, 300k of pulling a 40' travel trailer is a lot different than commuting miles. have him start it cold, and check for smoke from the tailpipe, on the test drive check for weird noises from the front suspension, if it's a 4x4 engage it, make sure it works properly if it's got power stuff (mirrors, locks, seat ect) make sure they all work... I don't think honestly you can go wrong for $2400 if the body is in good shape, and the interior isn't screwed up horribly, you can part it out for more than that.

I would add that if it was me I would budget a couple hundred for all new fluids to include the diffs, t-case, tranny and coolant as well as oil and all the filters and change them out soon after purchase... also fiddly bits like glow-plugs, and batteries and such... it all adds up quick, but it'll save you a bunch of heartache in the future. If you dont mind a little wrenching it could be a wonderful truck!
Has new batteries, new starter, timing cover gasket, starter, and entire new front end. Ill be pulling a wheel off to check everything over. the body is PERFECT, literally not a speck of rust. Interior doesnt have a headliner, but the rest looks perfect. Im going to look in the morning, so we shall see. Anything else special i should look for??

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Im going to look at a 1999 f250 7.3l with 338,000 on the clock tomorrow morning, the truck looks in excellent shape for the miles, hes asking 2400 dollars which has me weary. What should i look for? i know checking the coolant and making sure it doesnt smell like fuel, general oil leaks, and such. where at on these motors is the most common for it to be leaking? the previous owner had it checked out in february with gaskets replaced and the motor gone over so thats a plus. What all should i be looking for??? It sounds like an awesome deal considering it blue books for 6000.. i know theres already threads on this, but theyre older so i wanted to make sure nobody has anything new to ad. But i figured i would ask the guys that know a little more than me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! :icon_ford:

bluebook means dick with these trucks (and diesels in general). Its all about market value. I would steal that truck from that guy for $2400 and not look back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know that this post is a bit old but I was hoping that someone would see this and give me some input. I am going to look at a similar truck. 340k miles 7.3l diesel 4x4. they are asking just under 6K. there are a lot of other trucks with lower mileage but, this one is in perfect condition inside and out.. the others all seem to be beat pretty bad. towing, racing and such.. From the looks of this one it never pulled a trailer in its life, and babied like you would never believe.. thoughts?

·
Vendor
13,052 Posts
Main thing is check for blowby.
At 340k is actually a better thing than say 250-300, because your typically guaranteed to be looking at new injectors.

At 340, they've probably have already been done. Along with front end wear parts.

Any pics?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts