Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just looking for any pointers when buying one of these trucks. Ive already been told to check out the oil pan especially since these trucks see salt up here in Ontario, Canada. Any further pointers on that would be great along with anything else i should be looking at.

Current truck that i will be going to look at soon is a 2002 f-250 extended cab very clean looking in the pictures with 150,000kms. Price is $14000. Very hard to find a clean truck like this up here with these low kms. Was used to pull a fifth wheel horse trailer.

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you have a way to jack it up check the ball joints, look at tranny fluid see if it is burnt smelling or dark in color, Ask if there are any records showing when fluid changes where done. Tranny could be weak link if it was not serviced regularly and coolant system should be maintained also.

·
Registered
151 Posts
A big conern due to salt is to check the oil pan to see if it rusted. If the pan is rusting or has alot of dirt built up you may want to see whats under that buildup. It is a pain to fix the oil pan, you'd pretty much have to pull the motor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just found out the oil pan was changed 6 months ago.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to see the truck this morning. Looks good but looks better in the pictures. some paint flaking from where the wheels throw up stones/salt.
Oil pan looks mint as it was changed within the last year.
The drain bolt had a little drip hanging from it. Maybe a bad washer? or not tight enough?
Seemed like there was some oil on the back side of the oil pan. Could it be the gasket? Or something else up top?
Tranny oil was clean and fresh.
This guy is the original owner and towed a tandem axle, fifth wheel, aluminum horse trailer. Says due to towing horses it was always slowly accelerated. Also said hes always had it serviced every 3 months.
Only disapointment was the body. Some rust and few scratches and dents but i guess thats what im going to get for a 10 year old truck.
Im thinking of offering $13000

·
Registered
140 Posts
if you know anyone with a 7.3 ask them to drive there truck or if u have driven one before take the truck for a test drive... i made that mistake it started up great but mine needed new drivers side manifold and up pipe
good luck =]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wish i could just come down to the southern states for a fresh one :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts