Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy my first 7.3 powerstroke. The trucks I have been looking at all have around 200k miles on them, is this too high?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a 99 with 150xxx and a 02 with 521,xxx. Honestly its how they've been maintained. I've seen a couple with under 150, and they look as if they have 300 on them. And in the case of my 02 it was a one owner and very clean inside and out with good maintenance history, actually the whole life story of the truck. These are great trucks

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
41 Posts
The company I used to work for ran a fleet of 7.3's and ran them hard. The highest mileage one had 331k when we sold it 5 years ago and it's still running around. The lowest mileage we saw was 110k before we lost compression. These trucks rarely left the yard without 10-20k lbs. behind them.

I have an 02 with 141k on it and have replaced the hpop seals. Other than that, I change the oil. I have a 120hp tune on it and I trust it to get me anywhere I want to go. As with anything, look for the lowest mileage clean truck you can find.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
mine all have over 200k, the Ex had 243k on it when we got it a little over a year ago, didn't bother me at all to buy it with that number on the odo... red truck hit 200k a few months ago, thoes 2 run great, the yellow truck hasn't been used much lately due to a few reasons (needed to paint the frame and install a utility bed, etc), but for the mileage on it, no complaints.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 2000 has 215,500 miles and it runs great.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have 440,000 and had my first break down today, blew a high pressure oil line off the hpop today. Picking up a new oil line tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the help. If anyone has any tips or things I should be looking for I am open to advice.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Not sure what your price range is but for a truck with low miles (around 100k) people want high teens to low 20k for them. Like the guys said before me 200k is nothing to worry about.

Things to look for...records of maitnance, leaks, diesel in coolant overflow. If you search YouTube there's a bunch of videos and how to buy a diesel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts