Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at two trucks...

First is an '08 F350 with 189,600 miles on it for $18,000. Tons of upgrades:

-6" engineered lift (done at 125,000 mi)
-King shocks and fox racing shocks in rear with air bags
-Head gasket and studs done at 155,000 mi (ARP Studded heads)
-Egr/dpf delete (emissions system removed)
-h+s mini maxx tuner
-Upgraded coolant system
-New fuel lines
-New front end ball joints
-New 37" tires
-Fuel Rims
-Entire under carriage coated
-Entire truck painted in rock guard with coat of paint to seal.
-Custom straight pipe exhaust

This thing looks mint. No rust whatsoever. Runs smooth and sounds great. I'm pretty much smitten with the look of it but quite a few people on another thread warned me the 6.4L's can cost a LOT of money to fix and you never know when something might go wrong, with many issues costing an engine.

So I kept looking. I found this cheaper 6.0L, 2005 with 141k mi on it for $14,000. I like the price and mileage better, that's for sure. Pretty much has all of the upgrades you can dream up:

ARP Head studs
EGR / DPF Delete
Full exhaust system upgrade
Head gaskets replaced
Upgraded Turbo
All 8 injectors upgraded hi-output
FICM replaced
Upgraded transmission
Brakes all new
Ball joints tie-rods done recently
Nitto 37" A/T Tires 20" dished & offset black rims
Aftermarket Intake, exhaust
Edge Juice attitude tuner
Tuned ECU

Haven't driven it yet. Does this 6.0L seem like something that should last well into 300k miles? With all the money I'd save getting this instead, I could afford to paint it and seal the undercarriage and it would almost look the same as the 6.4 I am looking at, which is basically my dream truck.. AND have some money left over for any small issues that come my way. Thoughts?

I should mention, had an '06 F350 engine fail 8 months after buying it. There was too much end play on the crank shaft and the flex plate snapped. Didn't want to put a bandaid on it and sell it to someone knowing full well it was going to happen again, so I put $7k into it, using an engine from a wrecker... Then a few months later it got stolen and written off so I have some money coming my way (well more than it's worth, luckily). This time around, I want to be very cautious to avoid the stress of another engine failure.

Should I go with the higher mileage 6.4 or the lower mileage 6.0? Or should I just keep my eyes open for an affordable 6.7 (which will probably still be more than I want to spend).....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
IMHO,

Both look like nice trucks. Not bad for the money either.

I’ve had both trucks. 6.4 was nice, but I’d still go with the 6.0

Everything is done to it. Looks good, and you like it. You know it from your last truck.

Stick with the devil you know is what I suggest.

The 6.0 has everything done it. From the sounds of it all you do is turn the key and go, and do the upgrades you want.

There is one item I do not like on the 6.4, the straight exhaust. I am assuming DPF delete? Must easier to get away with an egr delete, than a whole exhaust. Especially these days in Canada. Just one small thing.

Good luck.

Reactions: SparkyF250

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Original title: Buying a 2005 6.0L or a 2008 6.4L?
Alternative title: Buying an inflatable jumping house or a bed of nails?

That looks like a nice 6.0. There seems to be a lot in the description to make it a good option.

If a key issue avoiding stress, a relatively high mile first production year 6.4 doesn't suggest "stress free" to me. Just MHO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Working for Ford through the introduction of the 6.0 through the 6.4 years, I would suggest the 6.0. The 6.4's are nice WHEN they are not broke. Although some were problem free, I saw many more catastrophic huge money failures with the 6.4's than the 6.0's. (motors, rockers, front covers, turbo's, DPF, etc) Boy are they nice when they are running good though!

·
Premium Member
9,169 Posts
6.0l would be a better deal in the long run. Yes the 6.0l caught a bad rap but the aftermarket support all but totally cured the 6.0l woes. I would get the 6.0L IF it was me. I like the reliability, cheaper maintenance, simpler engine and emissions equipment etc...

Reactions: Jeff-F350

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
What are the cab and bed configurations. I would get the 6.0 unless the 6.4 is a crew cab long bed and the 6.0 isn't.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are the cab and bed configurations. I would get the 6.0 unless the 6.4 is a crew cab long bed and the 6.0 isn't.
Both are crew cabs but neither is a long box. The interior of the 6.0L is nice black leather in decent shape, and the interior of the 6.4 is tan leather, in immaculate shape.

I had a short box on my written off '06 6.0L and it was fine to haul around two dirtbikes, which is all I really need it for anyways. No sleds as of yet but could always get a sled deck in the future if we buy some.

·
Registered
47 Posts
mileage

in one of the posts it was asked what mileage can be expected, I too am interested in that question.
I am just getting into the ford trucks I have bought a 03 6.0 F-350 the body and interior was in great shape, it was supposed to be bullet proofed but surprise it wasn't I got it at a great price as he could not get it to run or shift right. I knew that the biggest problem was low voltage, [I know diesel engines being an owner operator that swore by cat motors,lol] and since this know-it-all tried to tell me all there is to know about the 6.0, I didn't bother telling him what the problem actually was.
anyhow I am now in the process of bullet proofing the engine egr delete, new oil cooler turbo cleaned and the ring in it replaced, it was broken, blue spring kit and 3 new injectors. It also has a air dog fuel system on it.
Funds are getting short so I was unable to do the studs and heads which are third on my to do list, second will be a programmer, and first which will be done this weekend will be the high idle mod.
this will NOT be used for racing but will be doing some towing sometimes heavy towing [15000 +] and my everyday ride.
with what i have done so far and plan to do what can I expect for this engine mileage wise and fuel economy wise, I do plan on some long trips so the fuel economy is important,
I do not abuse my vehicles and am anal about preventive maintenance.
also anything that someone suggest that I can reasonably do will be very much appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
Run away from that 6.4!
The 6.4 is a throw away engine.
The 6.0 you listed seems to have all the preventive maintenance to make it a reliable truck minus that horrid light bar.
Hands down, without a doubt, between those two trucks... the 6.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 6.0 you listed seems to have all the preventive maintenance to make it a reliable truck minus that horrid light bar.
Hands down, without a doubt, between those two trucks... the 6.0
k
Hahahaha I agree about the light bar... It also has an ugly metal back rack that I hate but those things can be removed :grin:

·
Registered
42 Posts
6.0 the way to go. Simplicity and comfort at its best!

·
It is What IT is
1,740 Posts
yup

6.0 ! ALL THE WAY

Reactions: rtr688 and Mecanto

·
Registered
2 Posts
6.0 in my opinion, I have heard a lot of horror stories about the dual turbo systems in the 6.4 and when it takes a crap the fix is more like $14-$18k. The 6.0 seems like everything has been done to it and as long as PM is kept up in it, it should last well into 300k miles. My two cents.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What do you guys think of a higher mileage 6.7L engine? There are a few 2011-2012 models with 190k miles going for $14-18k for sale around here...

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
I think the 2011 had some injector issues but I'm not positive about that. That said the 6.7 is a beast and Ford did their homework with that 6.7 and its a great engine even with a few issues that the early ones had. I am not well versed on them like the 6.0 but they do have a very solid reputation and the newer ones are as good or better then the Cummins engines.

Reactions: kingle

·
Registered
43 Posts
My truck is a 6.0 and I have never owner a 6.4, but I have friends that own them. Run from that 6.4, it is a time bomb at that mileage. There is a reason I don't own a 6.4. They look good but I know better.

·
Registered
187 Posts
What do you guys think of a higher mileage 6.7L engine? There are a few 2011-2012 models with 190k miles going for $14-18k for sale around here...
I wouldn't go back to my 6oh from my 6.7 in a heart beat. Then again, I went from a 6oh with 200k miles in the rust belt to a 6.7 with only 83k miles. In all honesty though, once I deleted studded and did the other typical 6oh maintenance and a turbo it ran like a top. I'll take blame for the turbo seeing how in winter it got a decent chunk of idle time. Other wise only issue before I sold it was Oil cooler was starting to go, was right at max 13* difference between oil and coolant

But if you're seriously interested, from what I was reading before getting the 6.7 is that SOME early job one 6.7's had got a bad batch of valves and they were breaking off during regen cycle causing catastrophic engine failures. The 11-14 turbo are a potential area for stuff to go wrong, mostly with tuned trucks though. It's common for the DEF tank heater to crap out also, mine did at 86k so it went on a diet shortly after.

Simplicity and ease of working on I'd go 6.0. If you want all the creature comforts and a PITA to work on sometimes go 6.7

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did a full 180 and ended up buying a fully loaded 2013 Ram 2500 Cummins with 124k mi for pretty much double the original budget :woot:

Let the roasts begin :haha:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts