Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Getting rid of the Duramax and settling down with a 2002 7.3 Lariat lifted on 37's with 130k on the odometer. Totally new to 7.3's but not new to diesels.

Why I'm going 7.3 - Big and cheap. Simple as that - couldn't care less about performance anymore (did all that with the dmax) - just want a reliable truck. I've heard great things about the 7.3.

My worry and question - its been lifted for about 50k miles. I'm not sure but I highly suspect that it hasn't been regeared. I also suspect that if thats the case, the owner got rid of it at the dealer with the knowledge that the transmission is about to be cooked. Having rebuilt the allison twice I know how painful this is and I don't want to do it again after blowing 20k.

Can a 7.3 on 37s run without a regear and still have an okay transmission?

What big things do i need to look for on these trucks? All i know about 7.3's is that 130k is "brand new" and theres nothing to worry about, to which i call B.S. Injectors maybe?

Any insight would be great - someone pls lay down some dirt bout these 7.3's

Happy to switch out of the dmax!

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
I'm on 326k miles, stock injectors.
Read up on the HEUI system if you don't already know. Oil changes are important.
A 4R100 isn't the best out there with added strain, but I'm still on the original one, same miles. I don't think I'd worry about it yet. Anyway, a fully built BTS is around 5k for a 4R100, other rebuilds cheaper of course.
Oil leaks on the HEUI system were common but not hard really.
:welcome1: btw

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't have any thing bad to say about them.....
I own 2003 7.3, crew, 4x4. 100,000mi 35" tires, factory 3.73 gears.
It's not a daily driver, it's for fun not work.
I pull a boat once in a while but only 12 to 14 miles, and no hills.

all I can say is that I wish I had lower gears. With the 35" ties it made a lot of difference in the power (had 33" before and no complaints). My fuel MPG empty is about 14.5 to 16.5empty highway mileage. the 16.5 is with a tail wind.

It's been a great truck, but I regret not re-gearing when I set it up. Now the economy sucks and it's not an option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info!

I had thought the 02-03 didn't have the same injection system. Errr... maybe the difference is the HPOP is located on the frame rail while the earlier models had a cam driven HPOP? (i'm learning... lol)

Are those prone to failure? Just looked them up and they're 800 a pop.

·
Registered
674 Posts
37's seem to be the height that a regear is "necessary" on these trucks. the trans on these trucks is the only real weak link. the only thing else to look out for on these trucks is a rusted/rotted out oil pan and the usually body rot. (bedsides always rot out on these trucks, cab corners rot out on the ext cabs, all the door bottoms rot out period on these trucks) injectors/motor will be good for many miles to come.

you will probably miss the good MPG and performance of the d'max. these trucks are slow and rough, but they're a truck! they do last a good long time!

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Thanks for the info!

I had thought the 02-03 didn't have the same injection system. Errr... maybe the difference is the HPOP is located on the frame rail while the earlier models had a cam driven HPOP? (i'm learning... lol)

Are those prone to failure? Just looked them up and they're 800 a pop.
Nah, the HPOP is in the valley towards the front of the motor right behind the reservoir. Not prone to go out but gets weaker over time. Not something you'll have to worry about anytime soon and a performance rebuild on yours is about 450 for a terminator pump.

Injectors, etc. This all depends on maintenance. Oil changes are the most important maintenance on these trucks. Make sure it has been changed regularly with a good oil. What gears does this truck have? If you have 4.10s you should be fine. But really, it just depends how it's been taken care of. Check the fluid, make sure it doesn't smell burnt.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
^^^That, forgot to mention that

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
37's seem to be the height that a regear is "necessary" on these trucks. the trans on these trucks is the only real weak link. the only thing else to look out for on these trucks is a rusted/rotted out oil pan and the usually body rot. (bedsides always rot out on these trucks, cab corners rot out on the ext cabs, all the door bottoms rot out period on these trucks) injectors/motor will be good for many miles to come.

you will probably miss the good MPG and performance of the d'max. these trucks are slow and rough, but they're a truck! they do last a good long time!
Wow dude your truck looks exactly like the one im buying, rims and all.

I don't think i'll miss the perfomance of the Dmax. With the Dmax I get tickets constantly for hauling ***, and I wear out rear tires 100% faster than the fronts. That and im constantly worried about headgaskets and injectors.

And yeah about the 20k - thats the dealer's price of 19,995. I'm definitely going to negotiate that down. it has front end damage (needs new bumper), so thats a minus. But the interior is pristine and it has brand new 37's (still has the fuzzy stuff on them).

I'm thinking 18 cash is reasonable - what do ya'll think? If its not regeared i'd push it to 17. I havent test drove it yet - my rational for gearing is this - at 60mph if its in the 2k+ range, its fine. If its down in the 1800 - rpm range, then it needs to be regeared. Is that about right?

·
Registered
230 Posts
stock with 3.73s my dads runs 70 at right about 2000 rpm

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
If it has 4.10s then its as if you have stock tires with 3.55s. I'm at 2000RPM at 60 with 4.10s and 35s

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Wow dude your truck looks exactly like the one im buying, rims and all.

I don't think i'll miss the perfomance of the Dmax. With the Dmax I get tickets constantly for hauling ***, and I wear out rear tires 100% faster than the fronts. That and im constantly worried about headgaskets and injectors.

And yeah about the 20k - thats the dealer's price of 19,995. I'm definitely going to negotiate that down. it has front end damage (needs new bumper), so thats a minus. But the interior is pristine and it has brand new 37's (still has the fuzzy stuff on them).

I'm thinking 18 cash is reasonable - what do ya'll think? If its not regeared i'd push it to 17. I havent test drove it yet - my rational for gearing is this - at 60mph if its in the 2k+ range, its fine. If its down in the 1800 - rpm range, then it needs to be regeared. Is that about right?
18k might sound reasonable to you, but I just bought mine with 136k last august for 12.1k

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
**** I'm guna have to do some work on the price. Wierd though that a lot of the lower mileage 7.3s are going WELL above blue book in florida. Every crew cab I can find is 3-5k above the blue book value of 14-15 for this particular truck.

Dude has it listed so high at 20k that I feel like either theres a good reason (we'll see) or i'm going to have to pass on it. Bummer though, 7.3s in nice shape are hard to find here - maybe thats why the prices are so inflated?

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
130K isn't super low miles. now if you find one under 100k in perfect shape, might be more reasonable

·
Registered
883 Posts
i have a 6" lift with 40's now had 37's on it i have the E40d tranny and have NEVER had a problem with it, only problem i ever had in relation was the transfer case

coming from the manager at the dealer untill you hit 250,000 the 7.3 is not even broken in yet

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
When my uncle was talking about selling his truck he was looking for $20k.

But his truck has ALOT of mods.

Swamp tunes, AEM intake, Diamond eye 4" down-5" exhaust, 8.5" lift, 38.5" MT, 315cc/100s, full fuel system, 38r, gauges, 08 bed/tailgate, and gauges.

And the truck only has 79k miles on it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I paid 17,500 for my truck 3 years ago from the original owner with every dealership and maintenance record and it had 69k miles hen I picked it up. Granted it was bone stock then too

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I paid 17,500 for my truck 3 years ago from the original owner with every dealership and maintenance record and it had 69k miles hen I picked it up. Granted it was bone stock then too
I don't know about where you are or three years ago but that would be a deal on that truck now.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will

·
Registered
375 Posts
I just bought a 2000 with 110K on the odometer for 18K. It is an extended cab short bed with the ZF6 manual transmission. Loving the truck so far!

It was a SoCal / Arizona lifetime truck that was bone stock (except muffler was cut out) with all maintenance records. I knew I was paying a bit more than book value but it is a nice truck that was well cared for. I am happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I paid 20K in So Cal 3 years ago from a private person, looked close to what it does now. Came with the lift, shell with bed rug, re-geared, exhaust, intake. I changed wheel package and added a few other things. It had 82K on it and was/is in GREAT condition. Was never a tow vehicle, just a weekend play toy around town.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts