Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying another 6.0, this one a 2005 Seller says it has a bad egr and runs rough and losses coolant. To me this sounds great because i could fix that stuff myself with an egr delete and Head gaskets if need be. But what if there is another under lying problem, injectors, turbo, etc that the seller is trying to mask with "oh, it's just the egr" how would I know that there might be another problem elsewhere.

Truck is a good 3 hours away. I need some help deciding if this is a money maker or a money pit. I have a CTS, so I could check oil/coolant temp, codes and such. Can I drive it with a bad egr and a blocking plate protecting the engine for a 3 hour drive?

Def gonna check, egr valve for coolant, turbo play,fluids, ficm voltage, ... any other suggestions.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
My :twocents:

It would have to be a great deal on the truck (which we know nothing about) for me to pull the trigger. Add up your parts cost and some extra for your "valuable time" spent fixing it and see where you end up. It may just be cheaper and a lot less hassle to look for a good truck.

As for a money maker. The price would have to be REALLY low to be looking at buying and flipping it unless you did only the work you needed to get it running to sell it to some poor sucker. That's not my style so a sick 6 would never be a money maker for me, my time is too valuable. :dunno:

Although after only half a year with a 6.0 I'm already thinking it would be fun to build a bulletproof 6.0 from the ground up to make 600+ HP... and I'm not even close to what you would call a car (or truck) guy! :D

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
I agree. I wouldn't touch it unless it was so dirt cheap that dropping up to 8 grand into it wouldn't be a big deal.
I would tell the seller that if it is "only the egr cooler" (which is already a lie) fix it first.
It is not just an egr cooler failure. It is also an oil cooler failure.
If you buy it, yes, that three hour ride could be enough to pop the head gaskets if they are not already gone (which they probably are).
I would offer them 4-5 grand as is.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
If its running rough its not a result of egr cooler... If the engine runs rough or misses it could be engine mechanical or a bad injector. Be carefull there can be hidden cost involved with buying something like that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
when my egr went(and i caught it QUICK), i still had all the power in the world, no miss, normal as hell until the manifold got to much coolant. then she started to idle rough. def. do not drive 1 min in this condition. not sure what this blocking plate (other than an egr delete) but running it like this is what blows the oil cooler.

·
Registered
78 Posts
like these guys said it depends on how much your getting it for, i actually just did the same thing mine had blown head gaskets and bad egr and i knew it would cost me $3,000 to get head studs done and egr delete, so i have $9,000 into a good running truck so to me it's worth it to take the risk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts