Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been lurking for awhile reading up where I can on these trucks and now I am faced with an actual truck to buy.

It's a '97 250 extended cab, long bed, 4 wheel drive, 260,000 Miles.

My big questions are one:

The seller says he had the tranny rebuilt a couple of years ago and the guy made it "bomb proof". When I drove it I thought it shifted kind of hard. Is this normal for a built up tranny?

Two, he had all the spring mounts replaced because the right rear failed. It banged a dent into the box when it did. Does this seem normal? I have never heard of such a thing.

It was also really bouncy so I figure it needs new shocks, which just means they will be the first upgrade!

On the plus sides, it started right up, It was 90 Degrees out, and the A/c Was realllly cold.

He is asking $3,800.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated!

Blindlight guy

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
So I have been lurking for awhile reading up where I can on these trucks and now I am faced with an actual truck to buy.

It's a '97 250 extended cab, long bed, 4 wheel drive, 260,000 Miles.

My big questions are one:

The seller says he had the tranny rebuilt a couple of years ago and the guy made it "bomb proof". When I drove it I thought it shifted kind of hard. Is this normal for a built up tranny?

Two, he had all the spring mounts replaced because the right rear failed. It banged a dent into the box when it did. Does this seem normal? I have never heard of such a thing.

It was also really bouncy so I figure it needs new shocks, which just means they will be the first upgrade!

On the plus sides, it started right up, It was 90 Degrees out, and the A/c Was realllly cold.

He is asking $3,800.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated!

Blindlight guy
for the price, it seems like a good deal.

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
Built trannys tend to shift harder than normal. Find out who built it and what components are in it

·
Registered
12 Posts
A tranny shifting hard after upgrading would not be that uncommon. If they raised the fluid pressure it would shift harder. Hopefully this helps as without driving the truck I have no idea the severity of the hard shifting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts