Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
That would get complicated real fast. The dealer's vehicle payment, who's in possession, and therefore security, and insurance for anything on the lot

·
Registered
51 Posts
That would get complicated real fast. The dealer's vehicle payment, who's in possession, and therefore security, and insurance for anything on the lot
I know dealers usually own whats on their lot, but if I was a dealer I wouldnt accept these trucks without some sort of arrangement from Ford where FoMoCo still owned them through delivery, with the provision I would take ownership when chips are delivered. Basically just giving Ford free parking for their overflow of vehicles.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know dealers usually own whats on their lot, but if I was a dealer I wouldnt accept these trucks without some sort of arrangement from Ford where FoMoCo still owned them through delivery, with the provision I would take ownership when chips are delivered. Basically just giving Ford free parking for their overflow of vehicles.
At that point since the trucks are on the dealers property, whose insurance is covering damage/theft etc. This could become a slippery slope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
23,314 Posts
not only that, but who warranties these "chips" knowing that they are pumping out quality over quantity AND do we trust these dealer parts changers to boot these trucks up.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
How are these things going to get stolen with no chips? lol. They just big old paper weights haha. I know it will still get done just being some what tongue in cheek. I can't wait till a year or two from now when I can get a really good F150 for my second vehicle at 20k haha.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
How are these things going to get stolen with no chips? lol. They just big old paper weights haha. I know it will still get done just being some what tongue in cheek. I can't wait till a year or two from now when I can get a really good F150 for my second vehicle at 20k haha.
lots of parts to steal off them

·
Registered
51 Posts
lots of parts to steal off them
With how well publicized the sea's of parked vehicles missing chips was...Id be shocked if some arent already missing catalytic converters.

Reactions: diablos30

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
The guy who I hired as lead test driver has been the service manager at our areas largest Chevy dealers, not far from a less desirable area. He had all kinds or stories of wheels, hubcaps (decades ago) and even manual transmissions stolen out of cars. There is a Ford dealer by me had always kept my the tailgates in storage. The new cat thefts I can see as a big issue.

I’m sure the assembly lines are running out of room, but if I was a dealer I would not want to pay for the vehicles nor the security for something I can not sell. But those guys are good at squeezing every dollar they can out of a transaction, and I’m sure they see Fords blood in the water. They’ve been hammered on warranted for decades.

Someone like AutoNation with lots of pavement might do well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think my biggest concern is where the chip goes. If its something where the dash has to come out... that's a no. I'd end up with a squeak or one tab that doesn't clip fully or broken. There's almost always something that doesn't get put back together right.
I gave up on dealers for maintenance after a few issues, like i went for an oil change and left with a stripped oil filter housing... took 3 trips back for oil leaks. In the end they claimed it under warrantee, dodge/dealer didn't care as much as i did for the "root cause". Dealer made money for the oil change and the claim for stripped housing. (On my daily driver.)

·
Registered
83 Posts
What makes more sense for Ford? Waiting for chips to come in and going through a slow process one vehicle at a team by a team of installers or, getting vehicles to dealers and have chips sent to dealers to instal. The latter will be a much faster process at getting new vehicles on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
7,317 Posts
Is ford gonna pay for the chip install? Techs get screwed on warranty work. Cant imagine what they wont get if its initial install.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
For Ford, it's much better to get the vehicles at the dealers. The "chip" install would be the complete module, PCM, ECU, ABS, 4x4 transfer case, HVAC, etc., something the dealer tech does all the time.

To me, the interesting thing is how they are going to move these around, get them on the trains, off the trains, and the transport trailers, off again, and into the lots. That's a lot of moving around for non-powered vehicles unless they are conceiving of temporary plugins.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Sounds like a market opportunity for the out of work tuners! Make a temp module to get them on the lot.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Ahhhh, chip shortage.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts