Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
I am about to buy an '03 F250/7.3 ...
I have requested the truck to pass an emissions test - however, the seller (dealer) seems very reluctant.
Clearly, it's always a risk to buy an old used car, so I would appreciate a bit input about the chances to require big repair in order to pass emissions.

Thanks
Oskar

· Registered
455 Posts
IF,
you live in a state that requires Emissions Tests, and is harsh on modifications, AND the seller will NOT put it through Emissions first,

Run, do NOT walk.

Or, get a very healthy discount from his asking price.

· Premium Member
2001 F350 7.3L, CrewCab, Long bed, 4x4
23,016 Posts
@oskaratk - Some states require the seller to have the SMOG Test done prior to sale. Don't know if your state is one, but the owner's reluctance says he could be hiding something. If emmissions need repair, you shouldn't be footing the bill.

Cat Felidae Carnivore Mammal Small to medium-sized cats

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx folks,

I am in CO. Your replies were very helpful - I had not thought about possible modifications.
Live and learn - just read up ...yes CO requires the seller to provide a smog test by law

I've told the seller "smog the truck or smoke the deal"

Thanks
Oskar

P.S.
I got the hint about no info.here we go:
I am 68, Germarican - running and ISP biz in CO, close to Rocky Mountain National Park
Been tinkering with cars since I was maybe 14 - my first car was a Mercedes 190D - still regret to have that sold with 400k km on it
Have a few too many cars
2018 F250 SD
2003 F150
1981 Mercedes 280GE
2001 Mercedes G 500
2x 1962 Mercedes 190d
2x 1971 Mercedes 280/4.5
Audi A4 (470k miles now)
Unimog ( 6l Diesel) .. our community snowplow :)

Did I forget one ? Maybe

· Administrator
27,124 Posts
You had me at Unimog.

I think the 7.3 is a great investment and its really close to being an antique in some states which is a game changer.
So if they cannot pass smog you should try to use that to negotiate the price in your favor.

This would not be the same advice for a 16 year old spending all of their money on a daily driver.

· Premium Member
1,153 Posts
These little hurdles are what makes used truck buying so exciting...savor every minute...lol. How long has the truck been listed for sale? What does the area inventory for similar models look like? Have you met the seller, if so, what's his profile? What condition is the truck in mechanically as well as its general condition and appearance? Whats the mileage? Does the seller have smog test results from past inspections and if so, what was the mileage at the time of the latest inspection?

Reactions: MtnTallPaul

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These little hurdles are what makes used truck buying so exciting...savor every minute...lol.
yeah. I have imported the 280GE and Unimog under the 25 years rules from Germany myself. Actually a pretty smooth process when you play by the customs/EPA rules. Buying in Germany is not that risky as the buyer would have way more legal means against a cheating seller, especially against a dealership than here

So far I have been railroaded one time - last year by an US used car dealership

Well, let see what the response to my requests with the 7.3 will be. No contract inked yet and no money out

· Premium Member
9,832 Posts
I want to say though,,, our trucks shouldn't have a lot of trouble meeting Emissions in most States I'd think. I don't know how they are in CO but, because we're kinda "pre emissions" (no DPF), the standards are pretty low and should be easy to meet on any truck that is running right. ~ no?

I'm sure in CA this is a big deal but in my state they're looking mostly for Codes and Diesel Particulates. I always come back "0" even with Tuning in place (I forgot to go back to "Stock" when I took it in ;))

I guess it varies state by state but again, not sure this is as big an issue for us as in newer trucks...

· Registered
455 Posts
My '02 7.3 that I bought last July, is taking up a lot of my funny money, way more than I wanted it to.

I have a 2002 K1500 4x4 5.3L Suburban, that I have owned for 5 years, bought it with 212k miles on it.

Repairs on it?
Manifold Intake gaskets ( air leaks, would not idle at temps below 32*F )

H2O sensor harness; damn those mice/rats.

full replacement of the lines from the rear A/C to the front, compressor, etc...
( totally my fault, towing heavy and let it rev up over 5500 rpm with the A/C on and the Compressor shelled out )

Rear Axle replaced, 3rd member locked up, after towing 9,000 lbs through way too many mountains, somewhere between 5k and 7k miles of towing.

when that axle locked, I looked for, and bought the '02 Ex 7.3

· Premium Member
1,153 Posts
yeah. I have imported the 280GE and Unimog under the 25 years rules from Germany myself. Actually a pretty smooth process when you play by the customs/EPA rules. Buying in Germany is not that risky as the buyer would have way more legal means against a cheating seller, especially against a dealership than here

So far I have been railroaded one time - last year by an US used car dealership

Well, let see what the response to my requests with the 7.3 will be. No contract inked yet and no money out
It sounds like you have it well under control...carry on and good luck with the 7.3 transaction!

· Premium Member
12,031 Posts
The 7.3l doesn't have have much for emissions devices on it unless it was a CAT model. (ive read slight PCM reprogramming but can never find solid sources) Look under the hood and find a large white sticker and it will say catalyst or non catalyst. Catalyst models will have a cat (if not already removed) and non catalyst will only and is only required to have a muffler for any inspection...

One of the unforunate reasons the 7.3l was going away was because emissions... It wouldn't meet new standards.

Most states check for codes, intakes, exhaust, tuning, and maybe the infamous snap throttle test.

· Premium Member
1,153 Posts
The 7.3l doesn't have have much for emissions devices on it unless it was a CAT model. (ive read slight PCM reprogramming but can never find solid sources) Look under the hood and find a large white sticker and it will say catalyst or non catalyst. Catalyst models will have a cat (if not already removed) and non catalyst will only and is only required to have a muffler for any inspection...

One of the unforunate reasons the 7.3l was going away was because emissions... It wouldn't meet new standards.

Most states check for codes, intakes, exhaust, tuning, and maybe the infamous snap throttle test.
The snap throttle test tears a piece of my heart out at each inspection…

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok folks

I ran :)
That dealership did not even bother reply. Their practice stinks

So I bought a different one, from a place I could drive to, take a look and test drive.
Quite a bit a difference "Just take it for a drive .. feel free to take it to a mechanic - just be sure to be back before we close". "Emissions test? Of course, it's required by law"

Did spend a bit more than I wanted, however. F350, 2003, 110k miles and the 7.3. A 2008 with the 6.0 would have been less - but I had the pleasure to replace the oil cooler and EGR stuff one time already. Today I am almost thankful that my wife slid of the road with that one (totaled)

Thanks for all your input

· Premium Member
2001 F350 7.3L, CrewCab, Long bed, 4x4
23,016 Posts
ok folks

I ran :)
That dealership did not even bother reply. Their practice stinks

So I bought a different one, from a place I could drive to, take a look and test drive.
Quite a bit a difference "Just take it for a drive .. feel free to take it to a mechanic - just be sure to be back before we close". "Emissions test? Of course, it's required by law"

Did spend a bit more than I wanted, however. F350, 2003, 110k miles and the 7.3. A 2008 with the 6.0 would have been less - but I had the pleasure to replace the oil cooler and EGR stuff one time already. Today I am almost thankful that my wife slid of the road with that one (totaled)

Thanks for all your input
Wise move!
The new seller sounds a lot better! An '03 w/110k? Sounds like a good find!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts