Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, diesel fuel is expensive right now. So My interest in alternative fuels is beging to blossom. However, after hours of research, seeing everyone use Old water heaters as brew tanks etc... I have a bone to pick with this issue. If the demand is so high, and it can be manufactured by a Gomer Pyle in his garage for 25 cents/gal, why are there no private investors, or people starting their own brand of filling stations?

I figured if a "private company" was to make biofuel of some sort.. and makes tons of the stuff, they could manufacture it for much less than us making 100 gallons in our basements. So lets say this company starts out with 1 manufacturing facility and 1 -3 stations around a local area. This company would be able to obtain the french fry oil, whatever you call it... waste oil and refine it, and truck it to it's 1-3 stations locally. And from there it could only grow. and yes, you'd have to build road Tax on it. But why in the world is this not happening? I figured there'd be company's scrambling to start this gig up with current diesel prices, the profit margins should be pretty good.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Because its not economical for a small sclae producer to jump through the hoops set forth from ASTM and other agencies. BQ-9000 or whatever they call it is a standard just for distribtuion of biodiesel and it has outta control requirements. Plus everything is heavily banked on tax credits. You get federal ones and state ones. Federal are liek 1.00 per gallon of new oil used and 50 for "waste", the kicker is that your fuel must also pass a full blown ASTM standard testing. I think its liek ASTM D6751. Its over a $1000 for th8e full regimine reguardless if your fuel passes or not. You can scale it back but you need the entire thing to sell the fuel.

Privite investors are out there and they are dumping millions of dollars into this field, however biodiesel places are on sink or swim scales and depending on a bunch of external things,determines there survival. With oil outta control biodiesel is now highly competitive with petro diesel, so over the next few years i'm sure you will see higher blends covered under warranty.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Ok, diesel fuel is expensive right now. So My interest in alternative fuels is beging to blossom. However, after hours of research, seeing everyone use Old water heaters as brew tanks etc... I have a bone to pick with this issue. If the demand is so high, and it can be manufactured by a Gomer Pyle in his garage for 25 cents/gal, why are there no private investors, or people starting their own brand of filling stations?

I figured if a "private company" was to make biofuel of some sort.. and makes tons of the stuff, they could manufacture it for much less than us making 100 gallons in our basements. So lets say this company starts out with 1 manufacturing facility and 1 -3 stations around a local area. This company would be able to obtain the french fry oil, whatever you call it... waste oil and refine it, and truck it to it's 1-3 stations locally. And from there it could only grow. and yes, you'd have to build road Tax on it. But why in the world is this not happening? I figured there'd be company's scrambling to start this gig up with current diesel prices, the profit margins should be pretty good.
There's a private company around here making it. They have there own pumps installed at gas stations, and they sell to homeowners for home heating also.And deliver it of course.

Altho, last time i checked, there bio was more expensive then regular diesel. But that was back a few months ago. Actually like 6 months ago i believe.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so now it's probably cheaper...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well heres the kick, I like the idea of having ASTM testing and knowing the product we get is good. so Looks like home brewing isn't a good option... who knows. I'll just make budget cuts from other spendatures, like McDonalds, Cable companies and from those over payed movie people in Hollywood. If those fancy folks don't have money to fly in private jets, maybe that will help fuel come down some.... always preaching to common america, "save gas, save the planet, bla bla bla". But they live in Mansions that have their own zip code, what about the energy to heat/cool those places? And they have fancy cars and jets... F them. They can keep their hybrid, which is one of their 12 cars. My diesel truck will be the last budget cut to make. I'll have rabit ears on my TV, and eat rice (rationed rice, whatever I can get) to prove a point.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I'll bet you any money I makle ASTM fuel given the correct FFA % and properly dewatered oil. Making ASTM fuel isnt the issue.. its the constant testing. BEcuase of that you need consistant oil sources. Big commerical produces like to stick with virgin feedstock cause thats less inital processing equiptment. Lets say you have a million gallons of waste veggie oil and 1 million gallons of vigrin soybean(or whatever) oil. You paid 5 grand for the waste oil and 12 grand for the new oil. To treat the waste oil you must invest in collection trucks with filters and have a finer final filtration and dewatering process. That right there is going to be more than the total cost of the new oil, not to mention each time you collect the water content or FFA content willc hange which will change the chemisty. Massive producers do NOT want to fuss with this stuff.. not to mentiont here is more tax credits on new feedstock and used.

·
Registered
18 Posts
1 Gallon Diesel (128 oz) $3.91 or approximately .03 cents per oz
compared to:
1 32 oz Fountain Drink $1.69 or approximately .05 cents per oz($6.40 per gallon)
1 16 oz Starbucks Coffee $5.00 or .31 cents per oz($39.68 per gallon)
1 20 oz Bottle H2O $1.20 or .06 cents per oz($7.68 per gallon)

I recived an email today asking me to not buy gas/diesel from the two biggest oil companies Exxon/Mobil. If their stockpile of fuel builds up too much they (in theory) would lower prices. Then other oil giants like BP would have to follow them because no one would pay for the higher priced fuel.

Sounds good in theory I guess. I dont know if would really work or if they would just sell their stockpile to other countries. I buy my diesel from the truck stops. Love's is the main one. I do not know who supplies their fuel. Does anyone know?

I know of a company out of Houston, TX that is selling franchised bio-diesel plants. Max output is 5 million gallons per year. They also help you locate places to collect use cooking oil.

I think we need to just run off all of the bleeding heart liberals, take this country back, build some refineries and use the oil that is readily available to us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts