Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my F450 in the shop because of burning coolant. When ever you get a load on the engine, it would start white smoking BAD. Coolant was disappearing at an alarming rate. Like 5 gallons in 10 miles.

I assumed EGR cooler. I know from reading on here the EGR coolers on these 6.4l trucks are much better than the famous 6.0l ones. I have heard of maybe a half dozen people complain of broken EGR coolers on a 6.4l. As compared to everyone that owns a 6.0l having a bad cooler. The service dept at my local Ford dealer hadn't ever had to change an EGR cooler on a 6.4l. They went along and wrote down all my symptoms and I told them that I think it is the EGR cooler, and they agreed.

I get a call several days later saying that they have it fixed (but my airbag light is on now), and that they had to replace the timing cover to do it. I had a row with them about effing up my air bag system, which they denied. I had to call their boss (on his personal number at home) and have the air bag situation remedied. They left the ignition on and the batteries were low, causing an airbag fault.

Question is, would a timing cover cause water to get into the induction system? I know there is water going in or near it. It has a water pump mounted on it, I know. If anything, I would expect there to be water in the oil (which there isn't)

Basically, I don't know if they are feeding me a line of sh!t. I know they didn't actually test drive it. Or if they did, they didn't go more than around the block. I sure as hell know they didn't drive it after they "fixed" it, since the upper and lower radiator hoses were not attached. I drove it home this way, unknowingly. This morning, it took a dump on the side of the road (not surprisingly, now knowing the major f-up the dealer did). I don't even know how the thing held any water at all. I filled it on the side of the road this morning, and it poured out nearly as fast as I poured it in. It got so hot the engine went into "reduced power" mode, and shut down as soon as I parked it. If it wasn't effed up before, it probably is now..

I am definitely going to go and make some tech a new cornhole on monday (for the incomplete job). I just need to know if I need to make it extra large for misdiagnosing the problem in the first place.

·
Registered
43 Posts
wow!! I'm sorry man that sux. Something that should be routine and easy turned into a nightmare. i know for one thing i would never go back to that dealer for maintenance!:mad:
After you got the coolant to stay in the truck does it still smoke?
I am definitely going to go and make some tech a new cornhole on monday (for the incomplete job). I just need to know if I need to make it extra large for misdiagnosing the problem in the first place.
Yeah definitely go back and call them out on the huge mistake they made! Good thing the mechs aren't working on aircraft EPIC FAIL:hehe:

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow!! I'm sorry man that sux. Something that should be routine and easy turned into a nightmare. i know for one thing i would never go back to that dealer for maintenance!:mad:
After you got the coolant to stay in the truck does it still smoke?

Yeah definitely go back and call them out on the huge mistake they made! Good thing the mechs aren't working on aircraft EPIC FAIL:hehe:

Unfortunately there is no other dealer within 2 hours of here.

I am going to go and hook up the radiator hoses today and run the snot out of it, and see if it is still white smoking (steaming) out the exhaust pipe. If it is, I am going to be a new kind of pissed that I have never experienced before. I might just wreck the engine and take them the smoldering remains of the thing they should have fixed right the first time.

Either way, I am going to have them tow the thing in to the shop to finish the job. After I get done test driving it, I will put the hoses back the way I found them.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
keep taking it to the dealer and lemon law it. Sounds like they are a bunch of shade tree mechanics. Let us know what dealer it is so we dont waste out time.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Unfortunately there is no other dealer within 2 hours of here.

I am going to go and hook up the radiator hoses today and run the snot out of it, and see if it is still white smoking (steaming) out the exhaust pipe. If it is, I am going to be a new kind of pissed that I have never experienced before. I might just wreck the engine and take them the smoldering remains of the thing they should have fixed right the first time.

Either way, I am going to have them tow the thing in to the shop to finish the job. After I get done test driving it, I will put the hoses back the way I found them.
If you do blow the engine be prepared for them to have your truck for over a month. They had mine for 6 weeks and got it home and they forgot to hook up a ton on stuff and had to take it righ back to them.

·
haters gonna hate 24/7.
3,801 Posts
If you do blow the engine be prepared for them to have your truck for over a month. They had mine for 6 weeks and got it home and they forgot to hook up a ton on stuff and had to take it righ back to them.
Which truck did you blow the engine on?? :dunno:

Thought you blew the dually up and left it at the dealer......

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Which truck did you blow the engine on?? :dunno:

Thought you blew the dually up and left it at the dealer......
Yeah that was the 350. I took it back and traded it in I gave them the chance to fix it when I didnt even make it back home and the check engine light came on I took it back and traded

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I am loosing coolant to just not as fast as you. I too would like to know if the cover is the original problem.

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I reattached the hose, but the o-ring is missing, so it won't seal. It just doesn't run out as fast. I filled it to the brim and took it out on the county road in front of my house. I did some hard accelerations, and brake torquing to try and get it to steam out the exhaust. It didn't steam. So I think they just forgot to put my hose back on.

At least my engine is steam cleaned now..

I have looked at pictures of timing covers online. They have a number of water passages in them (upper and lower hose, water pump housing, holes to the heads, etc), I just don't understand how the water got into the intake from the timing cover..

·
Registered
206 Posts
Any tech's that can assist

Are there any tech's out there that would like to comment on this as well. I'm having the same issue except for less coolant lost and am very interested in finding more out on this. Thanks elibenson for this thread as maybe it will help more of us.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The upper and lower radiator hoses were NOT ATTACHED?? As in... the radiator had nothing going through it, and the hoses were dumping to ground?? That is insane! The poor engine had no cooling whatsoever if that is the case.

I'm not sure if the timing cover would allow water into the air intake, but I do remember there being an issue with the low coolant from broken radiators causing (yet another) issue. When the coolant was run low, it allowed the pump to suck in air, causing cavitation damage, and wearing through the metal cover itself. I can't remember whether the symptoms were burning coolant, or just leaking though. :dunno:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Water cannot get it the the engine through the timing cover. The 6.4 is simular to the 6 Litre in the fact that it has rear gear timing. The flywheel housing is part of the timing cover, there is also a aluminum cover for access to the idler gear. No coolant on that end of the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I really should be calling it a 'front engine cover'. You are right, the cam and fuel pump gears are in the back of the engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2008 6.4 with 110k miles. My truck has exhibited symtoms described in this post. Loss of coolant which seems to have entered engine oil. The truck is in the shop right now and I will drop in this morning to check on status. Service rep told me yesterday that the problem is with the timing cover and is covered under the extended warranty. I will look into it possibly being a cavitated front cover and look for having it replaced with new design with the extra tab. Is the front cover and the timing cover the same thing?

·
Registered
12 Posts
It did turn out to be a damaged front engine cover due to cavitation. Here's a photo of it after it had been removed.
2008 6.4L Powerstroke Front Engine Cover Cavitation Damage.jpg

1,023 Posts
I put my F450 in the shop because of burning coolant. When ever you get a load on the engine, it would start white smoking BAD. Coolant was disappearing at an alarming rate. Like 5 gallons in 10 miles.

I assumed EGR cooler. I know from reading on here the EGR coolers on these 6.4l trucks are much better than the famous 6.0l ones. I have heard of maybe a half dozen people complain of broken EGR coolers on a 6.4l. As compared to everyone that owns a 6.0l having a bad cooler. The service dept at my local Ford dealer hadn't ever had to change an EGR cooler on a 6.4l. They went along and wrote down all my symptoms and I told them that I think it is the EGR cooler, and they agreed.

I get a call several days later saying that they have it fixed (but my airbag light is on now), and that they had to replace the timing cover to do it. I had a row with them about effing up my air bag system, which they denied. I had to call their boss (on his personal number at home) and have the air bag situation remedied. They left the ignition on and the batteries were low, causing an airbag fault.

Question is, would a timing cover cause water to get into the induction system? I know there is water going in or near it. It has a water pump mounted on it, I know. If anything, I would expect there to be water in the oil (which there isn't)

Basically, I don't know if they are feeding me a line of sh!t. I know they didn't actually test drive it. Or if they did, they didn't go more than around the block. I sure as hell know they didn't drive it after they "fixed" it, since the upper and lower radiator hoses were not attached. I drove it home this way, unknowingly. This morning, it took a dump on the side of the road (not surprisingly, now knowing the major f-up the dealer did). I don't even know how the thing held any water at all. I filled it on the side of the road this morning, and it poured out nearly as fast as I poured it in. It got so hot the engine went into "reduced power" mode, and shut down as soon as I parked it. If it wasn't effed up before, it probably is now..

Really? 6.4 egr coolers are better? I lost track of how many ive replaced whether it was horizontal, or vertical, or both at the same time. My opinion theyre worse. Just about everything on a 6.4 is worse.

LOL sounds like someone worked on it with little to no experience because if the front cover not timing cover cams feed through the rear of the block, if the front cover was shot, it wouldnt be dumping coolant through the exhaust, sounds like your lower cooler (horizontal) took a ****, caused the front cover to cavitate and your radiator hoses they probably didnt replace the o rings and the lock clips. i dont care what ford says i never re use those i replace em.

Now because of their screw up you may have other issues down the road. F450s and 550s i am putting motors in just about every other week short blocks complete engines. My dealership has a whole slew of them comming in on flatbeds and about 3 of them just needed the simple egt sensor replaced the other 12 i have, have base engine issues. 4 of those 12 i know need engines due to failed egr coolers due to the coolant stains left where the coolant leaked out of where it meets the upper cooler and where the 1 exhaust inlet pipe goes into the egr cooler. May be hard to warranty when the FSE comes in because of so many base engine issues. he may be a prick to the customers and say its not covered under warranty due to either lack of maintenance or customer abuse.:shifan:

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you are losing coolant and it is not leaking on the ground and not out of your exhaust then you need to check to see if you are getting oil in your coolant when you refill the resevoir and coolant in the oil and if so then you probably have the front cover behind the water has had a cavitation or should i say holes in it and thats where your coolant and oil is going. Have them check the front cover and when they do this make them also check your oil cooler because its gonna be bad as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts