Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i bought my truck i have noticed it has bump feeling, its kinda hard to discribe. When i stop at a light, i feel a bump, when i take off i feel a bump. its like something has slack in it and dosnt catch until the truck is moving some. All my U-JOints are fine and my rear end dosnt have any slack. I can move the drive shaft up an down about an inch at the carrier bearing. Im not sure what this is and its very annoying. Could it be a bad carrier bearing? It hasnt gotten worse and it hasnt gotten better. Any ideas?

·
Registered
65 Posts
if you can move the driveshaft up and down that much at the carrier bearing its time to replace it, that should fix your problem.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Your carrier bearing shouldn't move like that its prob the problem

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what i was thinking, the nothing is wore out looking at the bearing, it just moved up and down, its surrounded by rubber that looks like its suppsed to move so i was wondering if i should look into replacing it. I hate the two pice drive shaft. I would like to put a solid Drive shaft in it. I dont have time to work on it this week, maybe i can get it fixed next weekend. We are leaving for the Brownsville area after work today.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Does it clunk in the front end ever? Possible ball joints going bad:dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does it clunk in the front end ever? Possible ball joints going bad:dunno:
I did, and found out that it was the ball joints causing that. The front end is all tight now. I had hoped the ball joints were causing that too but they wernt.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Oops missed your statement on the carrier bearing. Yeah I would say thats excessive. Replace the carrier bearing:thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the advice, ill get it swaped out in the next week or so.

·
Doesn't Even Care
18,044 Posts
Yeah, I seem to have that problem, but only sometimes though. I am dreading the ball joint replacements. they are expensive! How much are the carrier bearings?

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the bearing but havnt had a chance to install it. The truck stays parked most of the time now thanks to fuel prices.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not yet. I checked it the other day and it looks like its going to be slack in my pinion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My truck has that same clunking sound when you come to a stop and take off. The dealer said it was my carrier bearing and he said my u joints where good. I did need a new carrier bearing but that did'nt fix the clunk or the vibrations they dont know sh:censored:t. I also have that vibration at take off that everyone is talking about as well. It fills like it does the vibration worse when you are turning left and probably right. Sure wish someone could shed some light on both issues. Thanks..... :dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I fixed the problem what it actually was was the two piece drive shaft that needed to be greased. I removed the rear of the driveshaft and placed grease all around it and it allows it to slide in and out the way it is designed. When it gets dry it catches and that is the bump you are feeling it took around twenty minutes in total. I hope this helps the best part is it was a free fix.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts