Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a reputable/low price place to get bulletproofing done? I live near Baton Rouge/New Orleans area. I have all the parts excluding the head gaskets.... Just wondering what a reasonable price is for labor only.
Thanks in advance

·
Bump To Pass!!
11,891 Posts
Anyone know of a reputable/low price place to get bulletproofing done? I live near Baton Rouge/New Orleans area. I have all the parts excluding the head gaskets.... Just wondering what a reasonable price is for labor only.
Thanks in advance
Hows that saying go......

You get what you pay for....

I charge a flat 1500 for the labor, but that's with the menu priced package my shop offers. Usually total out the door of 4k parts and labor. If I was installing a bunch of customer supplied parts I would up it to the 2k like normal. Mostly because it always seems that with customer supplied parts something is either missing or broken, and the extra time needed to track down replacements costs money. Also check into the warranty policy on the parts your supplying. Most shops don't warranty customer supplied parts. I.E. 2k for labor and good luck if you have an issue after the work is done. It is always better to have the shop use and supply their parts. Will it cost more yes, BUT there is a warranty attached to the parts and the labor now. I.E. Piece of mind.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it...but motorcraft parts is the same weather u buy it or I do...only difference is the shops are looking to make money on the parts too... I was just wondering what labor prices are so I know what to expect.

·
Administrator
21,766 Posts
I'm not going to harp on it... but bringing used parts will (and should) always cost more labor.
Let the shop get their markup and save yourself some labor money.

·
Registered
953 Posts
$1800 for labor here. I supplied all the new parts from online mostly from Tousley Ford (now autonation).

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hows that saying go......

You get what you pay for....

I charge a flat 1500 for the labor, but that's with the menu priced package my shop offers. Usually total out the door of 4k parts and labor. If I was installing a bunch of customer supplied parts I would up it to the 2k like normal. Mostly because it always seems that with customer supplied parts something is either missing or broken, and the extra time needed to track down replacements costs money. Also check into the warranty policy on the parts your supplying. Most shops don't warranty customer supplied parts. I.E. 2k for labor and good luck if you have an issue after the work is done. It is always better to have the shop use and supply their parts. Will it cost more yes, BUT there is a warranty attached to the parts and the labor now. I.E. Piece of mind.

This is such a true statement, I cannot count the amount of times that Ive found parts online cheaper with coupon codes. Same parts, but at the end of the day the worry and concern that Im missing something is just horrendous. Something of this nature I would just drop the ***** off:rofl: But yes Ive received quotes of about 3700 installed plus tax.

·
Bump To Pass!!
11,891 Posts
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it...but motorcraft parts is the same weather u buy it or I do...only difference is the shops are looking to make money on the parts too... I was just wondering what labor prices are so I know what to expect.
Last time I checked this is a capitalist society. You're damn right I need to make money on the parts too. Do you have any idea what the overhead is or the labor cost to look up and order parts is. Not to mention when something is wrong or mis-boxed (which happens more then most people think). If every mechanic could cut out the parts side (looking up, ordering, picking up, and organizing) we would all be rich. When was the last time you saw a RICH mechanic?? In this industry usually the labor will pay your overhead and the parts cost is the profit/disposable fund for inventory. One needs the other, or you cut out the parts all together and labor cost will go up. Either way again you get what you pay for, and if you are ok with no warranty on the parts you bring in/ can find a shop dumb enough to install them and give you a warranty then have at it. I see it all too often tho, people have these 6.0's worked on by a shop they found with cheap labor rates then have issues and cant get ahold of them. Then the truck is in here getting re-done the right non-cut corners way.

The bottom line is if you are going to have a shop do this you are better off paying the markup on the parts to have the shop be on the hook for EVERYTHING!!! That way if there is a problem, and they don't own up you have a great case against them. As soon as you supply something they have the option to spin it as your supplied part failed and its on you. Unfortunately this is our society now. Nobody seems to take responsibility for their mistakes and it takes a law suit to settle which most of the time all party's loose somewhat.

Also to answer your labor cost question....

You will find a very wide range of labor here on a forum. From the miracle cases of 500.00 in labor (usually leaving most of the story out) to the full retail in upwards 3k. Again your best bet is to find a reputable Powerstroke shop that does 6.0's regularly, know about the updates (including the push rods), Machine the heads and don't use scotch brite pads to clean them. You will most likely pay a little more, but its worth it. I will tell you that I am cheaper then the 2 big name Diesel shops in Monroe and I do all the updates with my 4k OTD menu price where as they do not.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
My buddy owns a motorcycle shop and even now in days the money to be made off of parts are slim to none. Ive just found through experience that its just cheaper in the long run to have them do everything.

Reactions: toren302

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
I own an HVAC business we for the most part will not install owner supplied parts or equipment. In the rare case I cave and do it, it actually is a pretty good deal for me cause I make them sign that they understand there is no warranty what so ever. Then I explain to them that I am only going to back out my cost for the parts from the job cause it doesn't cost me any less to install parts supplied by you rather then me. It costs an unbelievable amount of money these days to have a business. Most folks don't want to pay for a companies liability insurance but sure expect you to have it should something go wrong, along with lights, employee vacations, medical, dental Ins, the RIGHT tools for the job, but most of all a good shops will have good mechanics and they want to be paid what they are worth. Its no different then a college educated Dr, CPA, or the like getting paid more then a guy with just a G.E.D. we get what we pay for in employees just as you get what you pay for when purchasing a service or product (in most cases)

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
It seems nobody wants anybody to make any money nowadays. In the outboard industry we see it all the time. People buying cheap, aftermarket or eBay used parts. Or when we try to sell a customer an engine spend a day making a rigging qoute and then the guy drives halfway across the state to get it because another dealer undercut the quote by $100. I had one of these folks come into the shop the other day... Wired up a few odds and ends for him, told him I had most of the stuff or would after lunch, "oh no I get a better deal at West Marine" and he drove all the way across town just to pick up a $2 fuse holder. And then wasted half my time trying to pick my brain for free information. Its just not worth it... I do not offer warranties on work done with aftermarket/used parts and I sure as hell tired of people coming in talking to my parts guy for 1/2 hour trying to get free information for their $20 hr craigslist mechanic. I do make exceptions for good/loyal customers that are in a pinch or bought the parts from us to tackle a project and they figured it is too much for them though. When you come to my shop and do business with us you are not only paying for the product/services but also the support and warranty of the product/services. The product is only as good as the people behind it.

·
Bump To Pass!!
11,891 Posts
It seems nobody wants anybody to make any money nowadays. In the outboard industry we see it all the time. People buying cheap, aftermarket or eBay used parts. Or when we try to sell a customer an engine spend a day making a rigging qoute and then the guy drives halfway across the state to get it because another dealer undercut the quote by $100. I had one of these folks come into the shop the other day... Wired up a few odds and ends for him, told him I had most of the stuff or would after lunch, "oh no I get a better deal at West Marine" and he drove all the way across town just to pick up a $2 fuse holder. And then wasted half my time trying to pick my brain for free information. Its just not worth it... I do not offer warranties on work done with aftermarket/used parts and I sure as hell tired of people coming in talking to my parts guy for 1/2 hour trying to get free information for their $20 hr craigslist mechanic. I do make exceptions for good/loyal customers that are in a pinch or bought the parts from us to tackle a project and they figured it is too much for them though. When you come to my shop and do business with us you are not only paying for the product/services but also the support and warranty of the product/services. The product is only as good as the people behind it.

Very Well said!!

Too bad nobody seems to care about that UNTIL they need the warranty. Then you and your shop are the d-bags for not honoring something they supplied.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Good to know there are still some reputable shops out there that take care of the customer. That's not the case most places. I have never once seen a mechanic stand behind their " warranty".

Reactions: Merc82

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Tell ya, the last time I was at the doctor, I asked if I could provide my own needles, swabs, and other misc items and they laughed... so I wonder why people feel entitled to ask other service providers the same?

·
Registered
130 Posts
place that did my bulletproofing in about 262 miles from new orleans they charged like $85-$95 dollars an hour.. took about 10-15 hours if i remember right.. did a hell of a job

·
Bump To Pass!!
11,891 Posts
Tell ya, the last time I was at the doctor, I asked if I could provide my own needles, swabs, and other misc items and they laughed... so I wonder why people feel entitled to ask other service providers the same?
This^^^

Is by FAR the BEST comparison to this topic that I have heard!!

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
You said it perfectly!! I will also make exceptions to LOYAL customers that I know are not just looking for the cheap deal of the day, if I can save them a few bucks by letting them supply some part or help them install I will do it every time as I know when a major problem arises they will come see me first.

Also love the Dr Office analogy that is perfect i'm gonna remember that one for sure

·
Love all, Trust a Few...
4,833 Posts
There's a sign at a very old hydraulic shop in Daytona FL that I make trips to every once in a while and there's a sign in there that has given me a code about ANY type of business.

Its a sign addressed to the customer. Its very simple and if you think about it, it makes perfect sense. The words relate to a "job"

GOOD, FAST, CHEAP.
Pick 2.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No need to get your feelings hurt, I purchased the truck used from a older guy and all the parts are motorcraft parts in sealed bags...except for the egr delete kit which is sinister. I was just looking to get a estimate of price per hour or a round about estimate.

·
Premium Member
11,724 Posts
Guys, I feel ya on the parts/labor/warranty issues, but you can't seriously compare sterile needles and medical supplies to headgaskets and pushrods. Unless you actually sterilize all of your parts before you install them. :hehe:

A good shop is sometimes hard to find. Even more so when you own a 6.0. There are a lot of crappy mechanics out there with inflated prices, simply because they can. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for, but if you're not careful you can also pay for a lot more than you get. The problem I see is that anyone that knows enough about what's involved in being a mechanic to understand why things cost what they do, is probably someone who would do it themselves anyway. Anyone who is ignorant to the effort involved will always think they are being taken advantage of. I am a Land Surveyor and have the exact same problem with clients. They think their mortgage survey should only cost $200.00, but I've got a field crew on the clock for 2 hours and a drafter on it for 2 hours, my own professional supervision and signature, not to mention the high end equipment I've purchased so that I could compete with the jackleg that will do the survey that cheap, just so he can buy beer that afternoon (mmmm! beer!).

Oh yeah, I don't get the option of not giving a warranty, there is no statute of limitations on a survey, at least not in Florida. I actually know of a case where a surveyors estate was sued for an error on one of his surveys after his death. The estate lost.

rant over.... rambling over...

Reactions: 05KRPSD
1 - 20 of 31 Posts