Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with the "re-designed" EGR cooler setup? Looks like the tube design is much better than the OEM innards. Would this be a sensible alternative to EGR deletes? Wondering if the exhaust temps are getting cooled to an acceptable level. And what dis-benefits this kit would have. I kinda like it because it keeps the system in place and functional for emission inspection/testing reasons.

Ford_Power_Stroke_EGR

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I suppose only EGR deletes are of interest to 6.0L owners? I think this is a very unique product. My only concern is whether it cools the exhaust charge to the same temperature as the OEM cooler. Surface area at the coolant/exhaust gas interface could be different as is the material between the two...which might speed or slow heat transfer.

I just figured for the money, it looks like a fix that will hold up. And keep trucks in compliance with OEM emissions.

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
I think that Dave was going to be looking into these :dunno:

Maybe he'll chime in. It doesn't seem like its going to cool the exhuast temps as much as the stock cooler in "good" shape, just because it uses SS tubes to transfer the heat from exhaust to collant. Heat transfer would be MUCH better if they'd used copper. Does seem like a good unit, but I'd like to see the intake temp differences before and after this cooler install

·
Registered
733 Posts
thats a joke. upgraded egr cooler..right
No not really. I can't speak about this unit specifically, but it isn't to far fetched. Strides have already been made with people making a/m DPF parts(mainly in Europe(Germany especially), but eventually it'll get here), so an EGR cooler isn't all that out there for our trucks and later.

Simple economics supports this. Hell, think of it. The cat converters of today are nowhere near the hp robbing ones when they first came out, no reason to think that EGR coolers or dpfs for diesel trucks now and the future also wouldn't get an upgrade to those units as well. Unless they just totally scrape them altogether, which I doubt, but that too is possible.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats a joke. upgraded egr cooler..right
Its an EGR cooler. It is in fact upgraded beyond stock. Therefore its not a joke. :D Not much different than a stronger radiator, tranny cooler or intercooler.

Unless you mean the theory of what its supposed to do. If EGR coolers never failed, leaked or caused superheated coolant or whatever...I wonder if there would be so much concern over them? If this solves the failure issues...then maybe it IS a viable option. Obviously the issues with the exhaust gas fouling EGR valves, intakes and turbos is still an issue. But for a close to stock truck...this might be worthy of having.

I know one guy who has had an EGR cooler failure...but he's not the type of guy who's going to remove or block the cooler and EGR function on his truck. So this may really be an improvement for him.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
the egr system wasnt a fail on fords end. imo it wasnt a bad design. it does its job. somewhat. but when people start modded these trucks, adding more pressure/power and wonder why they fail and say they are a terrible design.

but ill stick with my totally deleted egr system and you buy this "upgraded" cooler and let me know how it works out

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I think right now its still cheaper to delete.
Its too risky to try one just to see if it fails,I have had my heads off once and dont want to do it again.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I think that Dave was going to be looking into these :dunno:

Maybe he'll chime in. It doesn't seem like its going to cool the exhuast temps as much as the stock cooler in "good" shape, just because it uses SS tubes to transfer the heat from exhaust to collant. Heat transfer would be MUCH better if they'd used copper. Does seem like a good unit, but I'd like to see the intake temp differences before and after this cooler install
Nick? Copper? :bottom: :wink[3]: its a ford truck, not a kitchen sink:)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Failure analysis has shown in many cases the engine oil cooler to be the culprt in egr cooler failure. coolant flows from the oil cooler, to the egr cooler. the oil cooler can become restricted with casting sand, machining leftovers, and silicates that form in a neglected cooling system. we know this from disecting failed oil coolers. when a failure has ocurred, the entire system must be examined and evaluated before replacing the egr cooler in order to minimize a repeat failure. the bullet proof cooler is however much less likely to fail even under such a condition desribed above due to a more robust re-design.

the stock egr cooler is weak in that it cannot tolerate the high pressures that occurre within it in the event of an oil cooler restriction during a steady state cruise egr flow cycle. it is very good insurance to test the oil cooler whenever an egr cooler failure occurrs. many non modified trucks have experienced an egr cooler failure while being used as one would normally use a light/heavy duty truck. this can only indicate that the stock egr cooler is defecient? the bulletproof diesel EGR cooler upgrade give those who are tired of the repeat failures an option other than to delete, or have the dealer install the same stock part with a proven record of failure. at the same time it allows you to remain emissions compliant.

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
Nick? Copper? :bottom: :wink[3]: its a ford truck, not a kitchen sink:)
:dunno: I'm a HVAC tech, heat transfer is done more efficently with copper than SS or aluminum. Maybe it don't work in a truck

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
:dunno: I'm a HVAC tech, heat transfer is done more efficently with copper than SS or aluminum. Maybe it don't work in a truck
Im not sure how copper and vehicle antifreeze react

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
Im not sure how copper and vehicle antifreeze react
They use copper in radiators :dunno:. Maybe diesel anti freeze is different than gassers???

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
They use copper in radiators :dunno:. Maybe diesel anti freeze is different than gassers???
Forget I said that. its been a long day:doh:

·
Registered
957 Posts

Copper would transfer heat better than SS, the joints would be the issue. this is the failure that occurrs in a stock cooler-joints. the bulletproof diesel cooler has larger tubes and better joint connections or welds and eliminates that radiator looking junk you see when you look inside a stocker

If I have time today, I'm going to sacrafice the new blade on my band saw just for you buddy. I will cut a stock cooler core open and show you the points of failure, thats if I can figure out how to upload and post pics':rofl: hehehe!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Copper is a great conductor yes I'm from the hvac field but I'm also a plumber. I know that friction will cause copper to fail such is the case with slab leaks on houses. The constant heat and cool will make to copper extremly brittle over a short peiord of time. Another fiels to look at is the cooking field they use a lot of stainless for durability over copper. The fix would be a heavier wall thickness but then joints become a issue with copper. Stainless steel would offer a better corrosion resistance as well as being a lot easier to mig or tig weld joints. That being said I would much rather delete the entire setup and fix the problem since the egr valve and the cooler are both design defects

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
So lets say I do this bulletproof EGR cooler, what should/could be done about the oil cooler deficiency???

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
a oil bypass and coolant filter will help with longevity of the oil cooler on both side.

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
a oil bypass and coolant filter will help with longevity of the oil cooler on both side.
Damn, these trucks are expensive to own :doh:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts