Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Would like some opinions. I owned a 7.3 for years and recently got a 6.0, all stock. My question- Is bulletproofing a must? Am I OK with just staying on top of coolant flushes and SCT tuning to minimize the EGR? I plan to delete the cat converter and love doing the maintenance but is this enough?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hate to be the one that says it first but it really depends on what you want to do with the truck. If your just doing regular DD and what not then i would get some gauges to make sure the truck is running in all the right parameters. Then i would do something about the EGR system so it doesn't cause a problem later down the road and a coolant filter for the same reason. If you see temps start to spread out to far or what not then you know you have a problem arising before its to late.

Also if u delete the EGR you'll need something to get rid of the CEL (BPD Egr upgrade is a possibility though). which would lead to a tuner... and then u want power with the tuner ... and its a slippery slope. :p

Reactions: DixieStroker

·
Registered
959 Posts
Cat delete doesn't cause CEL, however EGR delete would.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have a monitor?
No I have zilch. Its straight stock, 138k, just trying to get a handle on what the best course of action to make it last to 500k. I don't mind putting $ in it but only for whats necessary Its just a work truck, mostly be using it to pull an 18'utility trailer around and haul materials for masonry work. All I ever did was change oil on my 7.3 and it ran like a top until 375k when i sold it, this 6.0 stuff is all new to me.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Get yourself a good monitor (something like the Edge CTS) and let it guide you on how much work needs to be done. With out the monitor you are just throwing money against the wall hopin something sticks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hate to be the one that says it first but it really depends on what you want to do with the truck. If your just doing regular DD and what not then i would get some gauges to make sure the truck is running in all the right parameters. Then i would do something about the EGR system so it doesn't cause a problem later down the road and a coolant filter for the same reason. If you see temps start to spread out to far or what not then you know you have a problem arising before its to late.

Also if u delete the cat you'll need something to get rid of the CEL. which would lead to a tuner... and then u want power with the tuner ... and its a slippery slope. :p
I disagree with doing anything to an EGR system that is working properly. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've logged over 1,000,000 miles with my 6.0's. Not one of them had anything done or changed with the EGR system. If I did have a failure, I'd replace it with a Bullet Proof Diesel cooler. That's what I do for customer rigs.

Deleting the cat does not require a tuner. It can be done at anytime. EGR would only need a tuner if completely deleted, and again, don't.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
I gotta agree with 4506.0. But if the guy wants to be proactive like I was get in their and yank out all the ugly oem stuff and call BPD up and throw some pretty aftermarket stuff in it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Nothing wrong with doing it to do it, as long as you have the funds. I answered it based on the OP asking if it is a must.

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
I have just under 160k on my truck and it's not bulletproofed, hell it's not even studded. I have been tuned for several years now and used to tow heavy loads regularly with it, romp on it on the streets and in the mountains, drag race it have thrown it on a dyno. You just need to get some sort of monitoring going, as already stated, whether it be gauges, a CTS, Scan Gauge II, the Torque APP, or a combination of the ones I just mentioned. Stay on top of your maintainence, I'm not the best at that :look:, use the right fluids and filters, and just educate yourself as much as you can so you will know the signs and symptoms of what's going on and how to fix it.

By the way... 03-04 6.0s don't throw a CEL for an unplugged EGR valve.

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
I gotta agree with 4506.0. But if the guy wants to be proactive like I was get in their and yank out all the ugly oem stuff and call BPD up and throw some pretty aftermarket stuff in it.
Nothing wrong with doing it to do it, as long as you have the funds. I answered it based on the OP asking if it is a must.
Agreed! I'm one of those if it ain't broke don't fix it kinda guys, but if your in the motor that deep and have the funds, than hell yeah do it, I would if I could.

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
They don't you are right, but the fan doesn't operate correctly then either.
Good point. Buuut, there is always the fan switch mod that could be done.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
You can also get the fan issues fixed with your tuning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts