Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently one of the common problems with the 6.4 is plugging of the coolant portion of the engine oil cooler, there fore no longer being able to remove heat from the engine oil. This kit from BulletProof is suppose to take care of most of that in a easy DIY kit, which also includes a heavy duty spin on oil filter that replaces the OE filter and delicate filter housing in which drain and bypass valves have easily been broken......can't wait to install it this weekend

·
Registered
994 Posts
Sweet! I would love to see how this installs and changes ur temps. Let alone the peace of mind. What's estimated install time? Make sure to take lots of pics!

Thanks for the post!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet! I would love to see how this installs and changes ur temps. Let alone the peace of mind. What's estimated install time? Make sure to take lots of pics!

Thanks for the post!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Well BulletProof sent me a 30page detailed instruction booklet with "clear, color" photos and VERY detailed step by step instructions, looks like it would take a good 3 to 4 hours as you have to carefully remove the stock oil housing and delicate parts inside and remove the front bumper......doesn't look hard by any means, just time consuming

·
Registered
21 Posts
subbed....

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
How much is the kit? Is it on bulletproof's website?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Interesting

Sent with my mind using ESP.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Just checked, didn't see it on there and it is a beta test kit so I know its not ready for the public yet.......as for the price, waiting for an official quote
Sounds good bud! Keep us posted on how it performs. So is it supposed to relocate the oil cooler or just help the oil cooler perform better? I dont think its the same as the 6.0 kit that gets rid of the OEM oil cooler but im not sure.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds good bud! Keep us posted on how it performs. So is it supposed to relocate the oil cooler or just help the oil cooler perform better? I dont think its the same as the 6.0 kit that gets rid of the OEM oil cooler but im not sure.
Help it before better, I'll need to get before and after readings of the oil

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are some quick snap shots of what its going to look like.....

Hose routing.....

Where the filter sits on the drive side...

Overall layout...

·
Registered
393 Posts
So an adapter is bolted in place of the oil filter housing that allows for the oil lines to be run to the filter and through the cooler and back to the adapter?

Will this eliminate the need to replace a failing OEM oil cooler? As my temps on the highway are getting to be about 12 degree splits.

And the various oil cooler kits for the 6.0s look mighty expensive(over $1K), do you think this will be up there also? Doesnt appear it should be too expensive, just by looking at the parts.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I must be the only one that likes the stock oil filter + housing... Easy and clean.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So an adapter is bolted in place of the oil filter housing that allows for the oil lines to be run to the filter and through the cooler and back to the adapter?

Will this eliminate the need to replace a failing OEM oil cooler? As my temps on the highway are getting to be about 12 degree splits.

And the various oil cooler kits for the 6.0s look mighty expensive(over $1K), do you think this will be up there also? Doesnt appear it should be too expensive, just by looking at the parts.
You are correct in how the oil will flow, however, I don't think it will be a "fix" for a failing OEM cooler, I believe this "half kit" is for those of us who are still ok with our OEM cooler and this will help in preventing failure......I'm sure BulletProof is working on a full replacement, like they did with 6.0, I'm not quite sure about price as I'm still waiting for final word, but with BulletProof you get what you pay for.....I've bought, installed, and ran many of their products and have NEVER had a single complaint or headache about anything

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
There is a write up on it in the latest diesel world or diesel power, I forget which one.

Sent with my mind using ESP.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I have to plead ignorance on this subject...

So, where is the stock oil cooler location on our 6.4's? I understand their prone to clogging, which is what this kit is for. Can you keep the stock oil filter and location?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I must be the only one that likes the stock oil filter + housing... Easy and clean.
i dont mind the stock filter and location at all. i know if i install an aftermarket system i want a filter just as good as racor.

I have to plead ignorance on this subject...

So, where is the stock oil cooler location on our 6.4's? I understand their prone to clogging, which is what this kit is for. Can you keep the stock oil filter and location?
the factory oil cooler is located in the engine valley and is prone to clogging if the cooling system is not properly maintained.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts