Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Very nice write-up! I'd like to add a few bits to this in case anyone else reads this entire thread before taking on this job.
The write-up shows the bumper removed, and I believe even the manual mentions it. I know the OP was doing a bunch of other stuff to justify removing it, but it is completely unnecessary, or at least it was for my 06 f250 xlt.
After cleaning the hpop reservoir and immediately prior to installing the oil transfer block, fill the HPOP reservoir with a quart of fresh oil(pour through a paint strainer if you're worried about it not being pure). I didn't have a means to "pump" oil into the lines, etc. I just held the oil out line as high as it would go and VERY slowly poured oil down the hose. Took a few minutes, but it got the job done. I then installed that line to the transfer block and repeated for the oil in line.
My engine fired after three, 5 second cranks, and stayed running on the 5th.
And the big one, in my situation at least - THE A/C SYSTEM LINES DO NOT NEED TO BE DISCONNECTED. There was enough free play in the A/C hoses to allow me enough gap between the condensor and intercooler to install the oil cooler/mount assembly just by propping the driver side of the condensor up high enough to slide the cooler/mount assembly in place. You just have to cut a small corner of the plastic shroud(lower driver side section that is right behind the grill that you should have already removed) to facillitate lifting the condensor high enough. Once the grill is put back on you can't see the cut. Yes, it was a bit of a PITA but for me, personally, less of one than having to find a place to deservice/reservice my system($$$).
BTW, I learned the hard way the the BPD oil cooler/remote filter is THE ONLY logical replacement for a clogged OEM oil cooler!!! Why? I originally replaced my clogged OEM cooler with a new OEM oil cooler and my oil temps were higher than ever before! It could have been from one of two things, or a combination:
1. Even though I flushed my system PRIOR to the OEM replacement, with restore, restore+, and 35 gallons of water, there was sediment in my coolant near the new OEM cooler when I removed it - large enough and in a high enough concentration that it's possibly(likely) that the new cooler got immediately clogged up with FOD that broke free after the flushing process.
Or
2. The bypass system took a dump. It is part of the OEM filter standpipe base and comprised of what I feel are cheap, chinsy, $6 parts THAT ARE ONLY SOLD AS A COMPLETE OIL COOLER COVER ASSEMBLY, at around $300.
This BPD oil system is practically immune to both of these failures like the OEM system and even at the roughly $2k price tag is an obvious choice if you want to eliminate worry about your oil temps or EOT/ECT splits that result in a domino effect that eventually leads to blown head gaskets, as we all know.
If you go BPD, ALSO GO WITH THE REMOTE FILTER - DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH RETAINING THE OEM FILTRATION SYSTEM!!!!

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
No you dont have to remove the bumper but I found it helpfull to not be in the way. The big thing that Iwish more people would understand is that this is a DIY job. Its a BIG diy job but it is none the less!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Awesome writeup. Plan on doing this to my Excursion sometime in the May-June timeframe.

Have a couple of questions if anyone is able to answer. I have an Edge CTS and would like to install a pressure sender in the small port on the cooler itself. Because I am a curious guy, and if its possible, I'd like to also monitor the hot oil temp "pre" oil cooler.

So my main question is: Can a temp sensor be plugged into the external filter housing using a the extra OIL OUT (of course using an adapter fitting)? The filter is before the cooler so this should be a good indication of how hot the "HOT OIL" is prior to the cooler.

This would be a nice way to see the PRE-Oil Cooler Temps and the POST-Oil Cooler Temps AND monitor the LPOP oil pressure.

Thoughts & concerns???

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
I would think that you could take the actual cooler to any welding shop and have a port welded in.

·
'consent of the governed'
5,687 Posts
FWIW I unplugged the FICM and cranked the engine. Took about 20 seconds to build pressure. Another 10 seconds for safety, reconnected FICM, fired right up. 3+ years ago. Great Blackstone reports.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would think that you could take the actual cooler to any welding shop and have a port welded in.

The BPD oil cooler already has a small 1/8npt port on the outlet side. No need for welding another unless you want another port for something else.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I can't believe it's been this long since the install! :D

Just wanted to drop in and report back that the truck is still alive and well. Too often you never hear how things worked out in the long run, and I'm still 100% in love with this mod. Highly, highly recommend Bulletproof Diesel.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Wow almost 100,000 for me ,only issue has been two hose leaks !

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I can't believe it's been this long since the install! :D

Just wanted to drop in and report back that the truck is still alive and well. Too often you never hear how things worked out in the long run, and I'm still 100% in love with this mod. Highly, highly recommend Bulletproof Diesel.

You change your number man??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Huge Thanks

I am a new member who is getting ready to install this same Cooler on my Excursion. Your wright up is amazing thanks for doing this for us novice DIY'ers. Guys like you are why I like this awesome Forum. One question, would there be any problem pre-filling the HPOP res before placing the BPD transfer block?
Jason

·
It is What IT is
1,734 Posts
was this added as a sticky? because that's an awesome write up.
If (and when) my cooler takes a crap that will be the way I go.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I am a new member who is getting ready to install this same Cooler on my Excursion. Your wright up is amazing thanks for doing this for us novice DIY'ers. Guys like you are why I like this awesome Forum. One question, would there be any problem pre-filling the HPOP res before placing the BPD transfer block?
Jason
I don't imagine you'd hurt anything doing it that way. Filling it up via the hose was painfull.

was this added as a sticky? because that's an awesome write up.
If (and when) my cooler takes a crap that will be the way I go.
+2. If only I knew how to tag @Heavy_GD I'd ask for a #sticky .

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Jason
That's what most people do…it's what I did…It absolutely won't hurt anything.

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Jason
Thanks Jason. As mentioned, there shouldn't be any issues priming the HPOP reservoir first.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You da real MVP.

By far the best write up on any project ever for a 6.0. I'm smart enough to get myself in trouble with engine stuff, but this is such a great write up I would feel comfortable getting dirty.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart, genuinely want to send you a thank you card.

Well done sir.

101 - 120 of 140 Posts