Registered
273 Posts
Great job

Amazingly detailed info.
Thanks

·
Registered
277 Posts
Awesome write up! Maybe I missed it.... but how long does this job take?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just followed this topic to do OEM cooler replacement.
My 2007 had few things different, but nothing major. Split the job on 3 days, so I estimate with all the cleaning, *****ing on previous mechanics who did not feel like installing few bolts and so on, it was about 10hr.
Now I wonder if I could replace the cooler without pulling the turbo?
One tip on reinstallation of plastic intercooler pipe onto manifold elbow >>>> holding the end under hot water for couple minutes makes the installation way easier.

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Awesome write up! Maybe I missed it.... but how long does this job take?
Thanks! An experienced person could knock it out in one long day, or two shorter days. My install took a lot longer due to the number of picture breaks. :funny:

And we also did head studs at the same time.

I just followed this topic to do OEM cooler replacement.
My 2007 had few things different, but nothing major. Split the job on 3 days, so I estimate with all the cleaning, *****ing on previous mechanics who did not feel like installing few bolts and so on, it was about 10hr.
Now I wonder if I could replace the cooler without pulling the turbo?
One tip on reinstallation of plastic intercooler pipe onto manifold elbow >>>> holding the end under hot water for couple minutes makes the installation way easier.
Agreed! I left mine out in the FL sun for 5 min and was ready for install.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Snake, great write up!
When you pull the HPOP screen, does anything go back in its place before the BPD block gets bolted into place?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Coastie, yes I've seen the screen on the bottom of the block.
So when the HPOP screen from ford comes out NOTHING goes back in its place ?
So the oblong hole it used to sit in just stays open ?

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Almost makes me wanna buy another 6.0 and start over....

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
YUp. That's a sealed area so nothing can get in there.
Agreed. The upgraded screen from Bulletproof Diesel is technically part of the oil transfer block and it replaces the OEM screen. The OEM screen doesn't get installed, nor does anything else.

·
Roll Tide Nation!!!
362 Posts
fantastic write up, snake. When I get some money, I'm going to start the "bulletproof" process with the help of your forum. I'm a visual learner, so the pictures along with the detailed write up is much appreciated. Definitely increases my confidence level with starting an extensive project on my new truck.

Reactions: Stiles

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sorry man! I typed as fast as I could. :hehe: I remember seeing one of your posts indicating you were in the middle of the job and thought, "Man, I wish I had this thing done!"

:hehe: Thanks! I guess I SHOULD have included pictures of the oil drain plug and bumper bolts. :hehe: :hehe:
OK, So how do I remove the batteries:look::look::look:

Thank you for taking the time to wirte this. It will help me when I go to do my BPD kit. Hopefully this coming weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
OK, So how do I remove the batteries:look::look::look:

Thank you for taking the time to wirte this. It will help me when I go to do my BPD kit. Hopefully this coming weekend.
Post #2 :D

……...

·
Registered
125 Posts
THAT IS BY FAR THE MOST DETAILED DOWN TO THE POINT POST IVE EVER SEEN FOR REPLACEMENT OF ANY PART. EXCELLENT JOB. nOT TO TALK ****, BUT IF YOU HAVE A 7.3 U WOULD NOT NEED TO READ THE ABOVE

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have one question.

Were is the drain for the oil cooler? This system adds 5 quarts to the lubrication of the truck a good thing initially. But what about at the time for an oil change that 5 quarts is a 20% increase in oil capacity which in turn is 20% of the oil in the truck contaminating the fresh oil at the oil change.

Really like this system, its on my radar. But that part worries me.

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
I've used nothing but Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 for the past 100,000 miles, and I change my oil every 5,000 miles. Little else has been modified on my truck that would affect an oil analysis and I had quite a few done before the Bulletproof Diesel install. I've only had 2 done afterwards, and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the before's and after's.

I've never worried about the oil in my HPOP reservoir, either.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Awesome awesome awesome

·
Registered
412 Posts
A little late to the party, but thanks so much for this, Snake. I am seriously considering this system. Can save some serious coin if I can do this myself (with the help from my mechanical-minded brother). Again, thanks. **Off topic, but where did that lower front bumper piece come from on the "project" truck? I really like the "wide out" fog/driving lights compared to the oe "narrow" ones. Thanks. :ford:

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Glad you found this write up! Honestly, a BPD oil cooler install is the biggest job A LOT of people on this site have attempted (myself included, and I had help too). But it's really not too bad. Take your time, be prepared to ask questions (and wait for answers), and stay organized. Folks here are happy to help.

The bumper was made by DC Customs a few years ago. I don't think Dan is still making them, but you can find him on FB. I've been really happy with it, especially since I can run the fogs without blinding oncoming traffic.

81 - 100 of 140 Posts