Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on having my transmission rebuilt. Let me know what you guys think.

For the internals I was planning on doing the suncoast extreme duty master kit. Should I also do input and output shafts? On an extreme tight budget.
Sun Coast Diesel Transmissions - Ford E4OD Xtreme Duty Master Rebuild Kit | Catalog Products | Sun Coast Diesel Transmissions

Torque converter would be roadrunner triple clutch. What stall speed is this?
Roadrunner Converters - Phoenix, Arizona Converters - Street, Trip, Towing

Also, BTS valve body which I know I cant go wrong. I have a shift kit now so when the valve body goes in will they redo my valve body or send me a new one with my shift kit or?

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
Are you planning on building this yourself?

Whats you budget if you dont mind me asking?

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
The BTS valve body comes paired with a shift kit.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you planning on building this yourself?

Whats you budget if you dont mind me asking?
No my dads friend does transmissions for ford and he is going to charge me 300-400 to do it all. As for my budget, there isn't a number anymore since I past it. I'm doing a frame off on my truck which is when im going to do oil pan gasket, the trans, and maybe headstuds. I'm getting my truck ready for power.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
LOL... Yesterday you had a tight budget and today you dont??? :dunno:

If budget isnt an issue get a BTS...

If you got someone who builds them then he should know what parts are best. Alto clutches and such, triple disc converter, JW or BTS VB, 6.0 cooler, deep pan,, new pump, etc...

Your E4OD build had all the updates from Ford already so you will have the steel planets. You could upgrade to billet input and output shafts, but unless your pulling this truck like every weekend i dont see the need...

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't say i dont have a budget. I said I'm already past it. Also, what pump were you talking about? And is the trans cooler easy to install? I would rather do it later down the road spread the costs out.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
I didn't say i dont have a budget. I said I'm already past it. Also, what pump were you talking about? And is the trans cooler easy to install? I would rather do it later down the road spread the costs out.
Pump in trans, has to come out to rebuild, new or at least reman should go back in. The 6.0 cooler is your best option, although on my last truck i used a truecool and it worked fine, probably the same as my 6.0 now. Cost less as well, like $60 iirc... Easy to install as well. I HIGHLY recommend against reusing the factory rd cooler, it plugs easily and doesn't cool that well. HEAT is the biggest killer to an E4OD.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
Since you have a OBS get a trucooler max long and mount it to the back of the bumper and use the SD bypass and its 3/8" cooler lines.
What is the SD bypass?? :dunno:

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I'd look around for other re-build kits, such as RacerX. I think the general consensus is the Suncoast kit isn't bad, but you can get better parts for less money. Also, get the factory Borg Warner clutches. Billet input if you have the money, but with only stage 1's you shouldn't have to worry about breaking any stock shafts.

And hop over to Powerstrokearmy, in the 7.3 section there are 2 really good threads about DIY trans builds, including some good discussion on parts.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
SD trans lines

Line F81Z-7A031CE

Line F81Z-7A030CA

By Pass Tube 2C3Z-7H322-BA

LPD47391 Tru-Cool
I think that Tru-cool is the same as this one, which i used on my last truck.

Oregon Performance Transmission - Rebuild Parts for 700R4 4L60E 4L80E E4OD 4R100 47RE 48RE & More TRU-COOL MAX 40,000 GVW Automatic Transmission Fluid Oil Cooler & Thermal Bypass 40K True Cool Long

I used hard lines as well, custom bent them, with flare fittings at the trans, and barbed adapters to connect to the rubber tubing on the tru-cool for vibration purposes.

I didn't use the oem ford lines.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd look around for other re-build kits, such as RacerX. I think the general consensus is the Suncoast kit isn't bad, but you can get better parts for less money. Also, get the factory Borg Warner clutches. Billet input if you have the money, but with only stage 1's you shouldn't have to worry about breaking any stock shafts.

And hop over to Powerstrokearmy, in the 7.3 section there are 2 really good threads about DIY trans builds, including some good discussion on parts.
I actually called racer x and not only do they not have kits but I will never purchase anything from them. They were extremely rude, to the point were I got so angry that I Hung up on them before i flipped on them. I'm not planning on keeping the stage 1s for long, i want to upgrade to stage 2 or 3s.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will the trans setup mentioned in the original post support stage 3 injectors? With a trans cooler, too of course.

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
Call diesel innovations.... they sell kits that are pieced together of other kits so u get the good stuff from each kit separate

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, well will this setup hold up hybrids?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also, get the factory Borg Warner clutches.
Why would I get factory clutches? I thought the point of this was to get HD clutches

·
Registered
686 Posts
SD trans lines
Line F81Z-7A031CE
Line F81Z-7A030CA
By Pass Tube 2C3Z-7H322-BA
LPD47391 Tru-Cool
Cary, is this a complete parts list? (This is my only transportation and can't chase parts mid install.)

I presume I ditch the factory cooler and this plumbs in its place?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts