Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Agreed 150 for the cam is fair to you and the buyer. On eBay, they go for 125-250. Figure in fees and shipping costs and 150 is basically top dollar.

For your fuel system, my understanding is you want to regulate after the injectors. I'm building a fuel system for mine right now. Will go from sump > 6.7 pump > secondary fuel filter > y block > feeding through rear of heads > fuel pressure regulator at front of the heads > return through 6.7 pump and into the stock 3/8 feed line at the tank. I have 700-800 in this setup.

IMO, it'd be a lot easier to install a reg return while you have access to the back of the heads.

·
Super Moderator
12,925 Posts
Not going to make a recommendation, but I'll at least tell you what my running theory is and what I do.

My theory is that for best operation, the regulator should be after the demand (injectors). Reason being is that it then always guarantees that you have the correct fuel pressure AT THE INJECTOR. The stock system is setup fine for stock with the regulator on the fuel bowl beforehand because the regulated part of the system is small, can act fast, and the fuel feed can easily overcome the fuel demand out of the injector. At that point, because the regulated part of the system is small and the volume of fuel out of the injectors is so much smaller than the amount fed, it acts more like a closed loop system so pressure at one point=pressure at another point (50psi @bowl = 50psi @injectors). But now up size the injectors by 50% (the stock 135s to 205s) and the fuel volume through the injectors is larger enough that it doesn't act as perfectly to a closed system anymore. Couple that with making the regulated part of the system much larger, and trying to regulate pressure at the injector by pressure at a fuel pump 15ft back in the system and in my mind that's good enough anymore. Now you could start to see pressure loss at the injector that isn't immediately overcome by the pressure in the fuel lines. IDK how much, but say for good even numbers what if that's 10%. Now your 50psi becomes 45psi. Not a big deal to most and remember I just pulled 10% out of my azz so it could be less. Point being that for me, I don't know and don't have a way to verify so that bugs the crap out of me. With having the regulator after the demand, that additional volume and pressure is already there at the injectors as long as you have the pump to push it and the regulator is just adjusting what bleeds back to the tank..

That all being said, what I've run in the past and what I'll run on this one is both. My last truck had an AD2 4G 165GPH pump on it with the pressure set all the way up to effectively take it out of the equation and I used a RR to set the system pressure. All day, every day at 53psi fuel pressure with 0 fluctuation depending on throttle position, etc. For this rig though I'll likely do the 6.7 OEM pump conversion and an RR.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Wow that was great info from both you guys thank you. So being that I’m not well versed in these trucks yet, I think I’ll go with a RR and air dog 2 4g. That’s what I’ve been looking at and seems to make sense for what I’m doing. This place is awesome and helpful so thank you again. I’ll look into the lift pumps and RR a little more and make a decision. I was think it would b easier to install with the motor out also after reading install instructions. I know your building your own but do you recommend one brand over the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
A brand for a regulated return. But I’ve since talked to Matt from blessed performance and I thjnk we have a good plan in place. Xdp RR and then some holder injectors and a t4 non vgt turbo setup down the road. But I’ll do the RR now since it’s apart and then the lift pump with injectors and turbo later.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Time to get to work! With the down time waiting for machine shop to do the engine work. I figured I would get started on stripping and cleaning the frame to get ready for paint. And then start laying my diamond plate down and building the fenders for the duals. Slow and steady wins the race, or something like that right?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Got some more work done on the truck tonight. Took the bottom leafs out and lowered it. Going to put air bags in it to bring the payload back up. I don’t need a huge amount i wanted it lower more then payload. I’ll only be hauling my sxs and camper which isn’t much but with air bags I think should be plenty. And I’ll address the potential axle wrap issue if it arises with some traction bars. Here’s where I’m at. First pic is only driver side done to show the difference.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Moving along with the interior also. Stripping it down. Cleaning it and installing sound deadening in preps for a small sound system. So much sand!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Haha ya she’s a base base xl. Doing new vinyl floor after sound deadening. Then cleaning it all up and swapping for buckets if I do find a good deal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Made some good progress tonight. Finished cleaning the frame and I re-routed the enrage cable to the inside of the frame to clean up the drivers side. Pass side is clean or brackets also now. Installed new ubolts and center pins after cutting out the leafs. Ready to start mocking up the bed for it. I also cleaned out the sand from the cab and found a rust hole. Rusted from the inside out because they never vacuumed the truck and all the sand and water sat here and rusted it through. But a small patch job and will be all set. Let me know what you guys think so far!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
More progress this weekend. Got the frame painted. Going to do another coat before I install the bed but I’m happy with the product. I used vht roll bar and chassis paint. Laid down well. Also got the shape of the bed figured out and made a template. Might be tweaking it a little bit and have to make sure to do a test fit with my sxs to make sure it fits which I’ll be doing tonight. Then I have to order some steel and begin some fab work

·
Registered
218 Posts
Man that thing is going to be cool...and loud lol. I love looking at trucks like this but just can't imagine anytime in the cab with those stacks. Again that looks awesome and can't wait to see what it looks like with the bed on it. Keep it going

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Man that thing is going to be cool...and loud lol. I love looking at trucks like this but just can't imagine anytime in the cab with those stacks. Again that looks awesome and can't wait to see what it looks like with the bed on it. Keep it going
Thanks kb. I’m picking away at it and it’s surprisingly going faster than I imagined it when I started. It is loud as I drove it before the tear down but I love the way it sounds. Also I’m installing sound deadening mat so that should help a little bit I’m doing the floor and back wall at least and maybe the roof.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Alright guys I’m here to ask your opinions. I understand it’s my truck and ultimately it’s my choice. Also I know it may be hard to envision being that I used wood and it will b black metal when it’s done haha. But I want to know what you guys think. I’m designing the bed and trying to figure out what matches the style of my build best. I have one bed that is mostly a flat bed with clipped corners basically. The other is simply running diamond plate up the center and having fenders rolled over the tires. I will be using this to haul my SxS from time to time so with the “skinny” design I’ll have to use a platform when I do haul it. Let me know what y’all think! Here are the designs and the orange truck is what I’m building off of for the bed.

·
Super Moderator
12,925 Posts
Why not do both? Make the platform modular and removable with a couple well placed bolts or pins.... then the rest of the time rock the minimalist deck plate style. That'd be my thought

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Why not do both? Make the platform modular and removable with a couple well placed bolts or pins.... then the rest of the time rock the minimalist deck plate style. That'd be my thought

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Well that’s kind of what I was thinking. I can do the skinny setup and make that permanent. Then have a platform that I can throw on there when I need it. It won’t b all that common for me to haul the sxs on the truck because I have a trailer I tow behind the tundra if we are taking the family so this would be a very infrequent haul. I just think the skinny version looks a little sportier and race truck so to speak.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I really like the look of what you have going! I think it'll look badass no matter which way you go with it. Personally, I'd go with a solid diamond plate bed and lockers/drawers if you could use them.

As for the fuel system... I don't know much about any of the reg return kits in particular, but I think most guys use an Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator, which the XDP kit has... I think Fuelab regulators are recommended also. I can't tell what type of fuel hose is used with their kit, but I would like to see PTFE stainless steel braided lines, I think they would mention if they used PTFE. May be worth asking about... Anybody else using an XDP kit?

It looks like you're being very thorough and doing a great job on everything! You'll have an awesome rig when you're done!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I really like the look of what you have going! I think it'll look badass no matter which way you go with it. Personally, I'd go with a solid diamond plate bed and lockers/drawers if you could use them.

As for the fuel system... I don't know much about any of the reg return kits in particular, but I think most guys use an Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator, which the XDP kit has... I think Fuelab regulators are recommended also. I can't tell what type of fuel hose is used with their kit, but I would like to see PTFE stainless steel braided lines, I think they would mention if they used PTFE. May be worth asking about... Anybody else using an XDP kit?

It looks like you're being very thorough and doing a great job on everything! You'll have an awesome rig when you're done!
Thank you. I’m working on it. So what I ended up doing is running diamond plate down the center and will have steel fenders over tires. And then at some point I’m going to build the “drop in” mesh panels for the 4 corners which would allow me to haul the sxs. But this will get me up and running. Something else I would ask you guys is color? The diamond plate will be polished. I’m thinking either a nice dark gray for the cab or maybe a burnt orange. I found a few I like. What do y’all think?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I’ll be capping the corners with this angle stock. I’m also thinking about running the diamond plate down the sides of the frame in front of and behind the tire. I’ll have the piece made this weekend and I can choose if I wanna run them.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts