Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,925 Posts
Personally I don't have any experience with it so can't really say good or bad. I've read a lot and have read that even the Livewire comes with a couple quirks and limitations, so if you've done your research and know what you can and can't do with it, go for it.

The combo tuner/monitors are nice and right now I can't say that the CTS3 hasn't caught my eye for my next build, but I really do like the security of a separate tuner and monitor. That way, if the monitor is ever stolen, it doesn't leave you up the creek needing to start all over with buying a stock file from Ford again and such. Extra cost of two modules yeah, but a bit more insurance if anything were to happen.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Personally I don't have any experience with it so can't really say good or bad. I've read a lot and have read that even the Livewire comes with a couple quirks and limitations, so if you've done your research and know what you can and can't do with it, go for it.

The combo tuner/monitors are nice and right now I can't say that the CTS3 hasn't caught my eye for my next build, but I really do like the security of a separate tuner and monitor. That way, if the monitor is ever stolen, it doesn't leave you up the creek needing to start all over with buying a stock file from Ford again and such. Extra cost of two modules yeah, but a bit more insurance if anything were to happen.
I’ll add to that. I have a bad habit of forgetting the SCT in the truck, so they still will get a them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
So here is a parts list broken down to part number descriptions and prices. Anything in hold italics is going to be done later simply to save me some money now and get this project going faster. I have thought out those items and concluded that they are all fairly easy to do after the truck is back together. Where as say the cam would not be all that easy after the fact. Let me know what u guys think. Left side is all oem. Right side is aftermarket. Let me see if you guys agree here. Thanks!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Have you considered the remote mount oil cooler? I wish I did the remote stock cooler kit with coolant filter when I did my oil cooler. I know it adds $2k, but, IMO, in a build like this, it's very good insurance.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Yes I looked into it but the total price is starting to creep up on me haha. I know it’s a great idea but honestly it’s not too bad to do later on and right now the stock cooler will b ok for what I’m doing. But that is a good idea your right. Thank you. Also in the future I’m looking to air bag and 4 link the rear but at 2500 for just that I’ll b doing it later also haha

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Well guys I finally found enough time to get this engine stripped down and it headed to the machine shop to be checked over and cleaned up so I can see what I have to work with. Hopefully block and heads are good so that I can continue on budget. We will see. I said this would b a slow build but stick with me I promise this is a real build project haha. Also some of my time has been preoccupied by taking some awesome SXS rides with family and friends. Had some awesome weather up here in Maine lately.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Alright so I ordered a stage 2 colt cam. All lower bearing bolts and a full gasket kit with head studs. Machine shop should be cleaning and resurfacing if needed within a few weeks. Pretty excited. In the mean time I’m working on cleaning up parts that I have and painting stuff. Hopefully will be building it back up within a month or so. At least starting to.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Man I can't wait to see your finished project. I love when people start these builds and actually follow through on them

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Haha thanks I’ve found a lot of dead threads where pieple started something like this and either didn’t finish it or stopped posting. Not to sound like an idiot but I wanna brag about this since I’ve never done a build this big haha. Getting pretty pumped. My goal is to be running either by late fall or next spring. Just depends on money like all else.

·
Registered
218 Posts
That's where my much milder build died also...the money lol.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Ya money usually is the almighty dream killer or else everyone would have the truck they want how they want it haha. Luckily I can take my time and do it in stages. Once I get it running and setup right I can start building the outside into what I’ve had bouncing around in my head for a while

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Hey guys so I have someone who wants to buy my stock cam. They offered 150 bucks. Does that sound decent? I don’t need it anymore and figured I might as well make some cash back from the purchase of the new one. Just didn’t know what they r worth?

·
Super Moderator
12,925 Posts
Used parts are only worth what a buyer is willing to pay. At best you may get another 100 bucks out of it if you sit on it and wait for the perfect buyer but the used 6.0 Powerstroke cam market isn't what I'd call flourishing. Personally, I'd take them up on the offer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Hey guys I have a lead on a new sinister diesel regulated return. I have a few questions. I was going to do the blue spring mod and 6.4 banjo bolts but that new kit appears to have new banjo bolts in it? My question is if I do this sinister kit can I ditch the 6.4 banjos and ford oem blue spring? Obviously You know in the future I plan on bigger power with larger injectors and turbo. looked at the xdp rr kit but doesn’t show new banjo bolts. I want a good setup for my future but don’t want to overlap parts and waste money. I read somewhere if I do a fasS or air dog u don’t need a rr kit? What do you guys think I should do? The deal on the sinister kit is 450 maybe even cheaper if I can get the price down. It lists for 670.

·
Super Moderator
12,925 Posts
No reason to do the blue spring if you're doing a RR. The spring regulates the pressure on the stock feed the RR regulates the pressure on the return side...no need for two regulators.

I have no personal experience with the Sinister RR, so can't speak to it but I don't put things on my rig that are Sinister blue for multiple reasons. Do some research and see if it's a good product. Either way, if you want the bigger inner dia. banjos the OEM Ford ones are going to be better than most any cheapy aluminum/pot metal ones so take that into account.

The FASS/ADs of today have regulators on the pumps as well, so if you revert back to my first statement, you can see why you've read that out there. At that point though, the question becomes where do you want the regulator and how does that affect the fuel pressure AT THE INJECTOR? Do you want it waaayyyyy at the front of the system? Or after the demand? Read read read and see how you best want to answer that question.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
No reason to do the blue spring if you're doing a RR. The spring regulates the pressure on the stock feed the RR regulates the pressure on the return side...no need for two regulators.

I have no personal experience with the Sinister RR, so can't speak to it but I don't put things on my rig that are Sinister blue for multiple reasons. Do some research and see if it's a good product. Either way, if you want the bigger inner dia. banjos the OEM Ford ones are going to be better than most any cheapy aluminum/pot metal ones so take that into account.

The FASS/ADs of today have regulators on the pumps as well, so if you revert back to my first statement, you can see why you've read that out there. At that point though, the question becomes where do you want the regulator and how does that affect the fuel pressure AT THE INJECTOR? Do you want it waaayyyyy at the front of the system? Or after the demand? Read read read and see how you best want to answer that question.
Ok thanks. With that being said, do you have a recommendation as to where you would regulate it? Or is there a benefit to one over the other? The way I’m looking at it the air dog/fasS will be about the same price as a RR. Also with my current plans I wasn’t going to do a RR yet but if it’s cheap enough maybe I would. But I can do it after the motor is done and back in. And if I do lift pump and they are regulated I don’t need the RR.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #80

Also I got a bunch of parts flowing in now. Cam is back ordered but that’s ok should b here within a week or 2. For a lot of oem parts. Bolts seals gaskets and kits. Starting to become real! Haha

61 - 80 of 107 Posts