Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just picked up my perfect build truck. 2007 f350 cab and chassis. 2wd dually 6 speed manual. My end goal is a rat rod style truck with good power and still usable. I’d like to hit the 500 hp mark but feel strong about it with a solid base for the engine. I picked the truck up for $2k with 116k miles. Truck runs and drives well. I keep getting an under post code once in a while. The coolant is pressurizing fairly quickly and the pressure responds to throttle and caps off at 15psi. I’m thinking it needs head gaskets and probably egr cooler so this has lead me to the following build list. I wanted feed back from you experts here and see what you think. Here’s a few pics to start. Last pic is roughly what I’m heading towards.

Head gasket kit with studs
Reseal all orings and hpop system
Coolant filter- sinister
Sinister charge pipes and flow elbow
Full oil change filters and fuel filters
Archoil additive
Coolant change with work
Bpd egr cooler
Bpd oil cooler

In the future- turbo and injectors, custom tuning

I may have written down a few other things and my list is not in front of me right now. Parts wise I’m around $3500 and I am doing the work myself. I’m a Toyota tech and have access to the tools and information needed. I will be doing this over time as this is a project and no need to rush it. Please give me some feed back and let me know if I’m on a good path for a solid reliable truck cable or making power. Thank guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Throw a 6.3psdR in it haha but anywho that's an interesting build. If it was me I would tear the motor down and build it back up. If time and money allows. I'd only wanna do it once but with the ol 6o it's a money hog and inevitable

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about going down to the bottoms but I’ve heard that the lower end of the 6.0 is pretty stout and figured it could handle what I’m looking to do. The biggest thing I’ll be hauling most likely is my ranger sxs on the flat bed and towing my camper which says about 5800 lbs so not a lot of weight.

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,499 Posts
Sounds like it needs head gaskets. I would ditch all of the sinister stuff, run riff raff boots/clamps and just have your stock pipes dipped/coated. If you arent in an emissions state I would just delete the egr cooler.

A monitor should be 1st on the list if you dont have one for it, what are you thinking tuning wise? If you're staying stock then just a cts2 (or new CTS3) would be fine, if youre wanting to tune I would recommend an SCT product that can also monitor.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Reactions: DDEWYY

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don’t think I’ve seen the cts3. But I was thinking sct ts live I thjnk it was called? I have heard a lot of good about sct with the fords and this one has monitors with it so it kills two birds. But tuning will be coming later after all the engine work is done and I know it is running the way it should be with a strong foundation.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am in an emission state so that’s why I’m not planning on deleting it. Also that’s a good idea with the pipes to have them dipped. Will probably save money and I’ll just get new boots I didn’t think of that thank you!

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,499 Posts
No problem! If you gotta keep the EGR I'd say BPD is definitely the way to go.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Reactions: voodooridr

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A few things I know I forgot was the adjustable blue spring kit and maybe a regulated return. That is solely based on reading that a lot of people so it. I’m still learning a lot about these trucks. I had 2 6.0’a a few years ago but didn’t have tome or money to put into them. Now I do and am very excited for the build. I have already ordered a few things. Harley grill, black headlights, smokes cab lights and new style mirrors.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just looking at that setup rat rod style with that little weight in the rear I'm thinking it will be almost undriveable with 500hp. I'm definitely no expert in this so I may be way off but I feel like you would do nothing but spin the whole time with that much power and no weight holding down the *** end.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is a good point about the weight. Maybe less HP or I can weigh it down for traction not sure which is smarter or more attainable. But deff a good point to think about. Thank u!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Power is always fun lol. Like you said earlier if you are going to have your ranger on it or even that trailer you should be good with the weight I would think. It would just be driving around unloaded that I could see issues. Again I am no expert I just Know normal duallies with no weight is sometimes tricky. Hope it works for you and hope it turns out as cool as you hoped for.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya I hope it does too haha. I know I’ll have to do something with suspension cuz with no weight right nOw it is very stiff and bouncy. That will b a job for after the engine tho.

·
Registered
109 Posts
A few things I know I forgot was the adjustable blue spring kit and maybe a regulated return. That is solely based on reading that a lot of people so it. I’m still learning a lot about these trucks. I had 2 6.0’a a few years ago but didn’t have tome or money to put into them. Now I do and am very excited for the build. I have already ordered a few things. Harley grill, black headlights, smokes cab lights and new style mirrors.

Hey where did you get the harley grill? Appears to be several different options some cheaper than others. Curious which one you went with and how is the fit and finish. Is it painted black or just the color of the plastic?

Looks like you have a sweet build on your hands, I got myself a ZF6 dually few months ago also. Different chassis but either way they are a wicked combination!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got my grill on eBay for 120 bucks. But I just found the same one for 70 on rock auto. It is just black plastic but I intend to have grill mirrors and bumper all painted to match the truck once I have it painted. It fill well and looks good.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has anyone done most of the parts from ford? I know I’m going to do arp studs. And I’m either going to delete the egr or do BPD egr cooler. But My bro in-law owns an engine shop and he said in his experience he would do oem gaskets and oil cooler. And any other orings and seals needed. He said sinister and BPD can sometimes give you a lot of stuff you don’t necessarily need. Also I can get just over cost from my ford dealer so I priced out things yesterday and got most of what I needed for 1000-1200. That was HG kit. Other needed gaskets like I take and exhaust. Stand pipes and dummy’s. Injector orings. Oil cooler and so on. Has anyone done this with good results or do I have to go aftermarket?

·
Registered
219 Posts
OEM for the headgaskets i highly recommended and the OEM oil cooler is fine. In general the OEM is just a good bet for your gaskets and orings

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That’s good to hear. I think I might got his route since I can get good pricing on oem stuff. I’m gonna tear down the engine before ordering so I can get it all at one time I think. That way if I find anything else I didn’t expect I can get it. I’ve been read a ton on here and u guys have been great

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wanted to update you guys. Finally started in on tearing down the truck. Got a few hours of free time tonight and got pretty far into it. As far as I can see all I have left is to undo motor mounts and the trans and it should be free. I’ve got some pics so far. If anyone can tell me if the oil on the driver side charge tube is normal and looks ok that would b great. Found oil all through tubes and sitting in the intake side of the turbo. Thank you in advance.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts