Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
So, against my better judgement I went back out on the circuit tonight to get the better set of numbers. Unfortunately, this leaking boot has the better of me. I can still force 24psi out of it (momentarialy, before I fear I'll tear it completely apart) and out of the stock program I think that is pretty good. EGTs are still around stock threasholds, so I'm confident with the boots replaced and full airflow available this will perform quite well.

I'll get the boots replaced (both of them on the hot-side) and we'll get back to testing. I installed a metal cold-side pipe and fresh boots while I have the turbo out originally. I'll have the FICM tuned numbers shortly thereafter, that goes on order tonight.

Towing results are still in the works. I'll trying to dig up something worth pulling in the 8-10Klbs neighborhood, and load another 2K in the bed.

·
Motor Head.
1,733 Posts
So, against my better judgement I went back out on the circuit tonight to get the better set of numbers. Unfortunately, this leaking boot has the better of me. I can still force 24psi out of it (momentarialy, before I fear I'll tear it completely apart) and out of the stock program I think that is pretty good. EGTs are still around stock threasholds, so I'm confident with the boots replaced and full airflow available this will perform quite well.

I'll get the boots replaced (both of them on the hot-side) and we'll get back to testing. I installed a metal cold-side pipe and fresh boots while I have the turbo out originally. I'll have the FICM tuned numbers shortly thereafter, that goes on order tonight.

Towing results are still in the works. I'll trying to dig up something worth pulling in the 8-10Klbs neighborhood, and load another 2K in the bed.
Sounds good.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Sounds good.
The turbo is great, I'm kicking myself at the moment for thinking I didn't need to order replacement boots after 96K miles when I did the installation.

·
Motor Head.
1,733 Posts
^^^I am probably going to have my 1.5 upgraded to the same.

·
AMERICA!
22,939 Posts
Any videos yet?

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I love when you guys come up with an idea or theory and are able to actually do it. This stuff is great. Thanks colo_dually!

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Everything is running great with this turbo, until the limits of the stock tuning are reached. Pretty much what I expected. Now there is a minor mileage gain with my gearing running 60mph / 2000rpm, I've gained around .5mpg (14.5 up from 14.0) or aroudn 4%. I'm seeing an average of 25-50* drop in EGT when compared to stock, and a VGT duty cycle that is 3-7% more shut.

Numbers: Stock Programming, altitudes of 0-1200' above sea level.
Speed - Turbo - RPM -EGT - VGT% - Load - MAF - Boost
45mph - Stock - 1650 - 800 - 54% - 48 - 80 - 5
45mph - Mod - 1650 - 750 - 57% - 46 - 88 - 5

55mph - Stock - 1900 - 750 - 51% - 40 - 106 - 6
55mph - Mod - 1900 - 725 - 56% - 40 - 115 - 6

65mph - Stock - 2240 - 700 - 40% - 30 - 110 - 5
65mph - Mod - 2240 - 675 - 45% - 30 - 125 - 5

75mph - Stock - 2500 - 1000 - 48% - 20 - 110 - 4
75mph - Mod - 2500 - 950 - 46% - 18 - 125 - 4

There is a lot more potential for this turbo with the aftermarket programming, but I am confident that I can run this on the stock program if required.

Additionally, the engine braking feature, with this new turbo feels much stronger on the grades than it was stock. No real way for me to provide solid numbers on that though.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Cool thread. Pretty fun watching the quick progression. Once you get a tune written you'll be blown away.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Cool thread. Pretty fun watching the quick progression. Once you get a tune written you'll be blown away.
I'm very interested in seeing how well this turbo is going to run under performance tuning. The initial testing is basically complete, with the exception of video footage of the performance under stock programming (not required, maybe no one would be interested).

I'll have the FICM tune loaded up later this week for initial comparison. Again, I'll run the same circuit get a feel for this turbo and make up another video.

The question remains who to invest the money into for the actual tuning? I will be reaching out to tuners here in the next couple of days to see what they are thinking would pull the most out of this.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
What type of tune are you gonna try towing, race, dd?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I'm very interested in seeing how well this turbo is going to run under performance tuning. The initial testing is basically complete, with the exception of video footage of the performance under stock programming (not required, maybe no one would be interested).

I'll have the FICM tune loaded up later this week for initial comparison. Again, I'll run the same circuit get a feel for this turbo and make up another video.

The question remains who to invest the money into for the actual tuning? I will be reaching out to tuners here in the next couple of days to see what they are thinking would pull the most out of this.
I would try wpe, Nate has some good service. His tunes runs really good on my kc stage 2.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
What type of tune are you gonna try towing, race, dd?
I use a race level file for my daily driver prior to this upgrade, so I'll most likely end up with another race level file dialed in for it. The other two tunes I need are a aggressive towing file, and a second towing file that doesn't add additional fuel (basically a transmisison only file, with adjustments made for the turbo).

I would try wpe, Nate has some good service. His tunes runs really good on my kc stage 2.
Nate is high on my list, I've heard great things about his tuning of the KC Stage 2, and would have a great chance to dial this thing in.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Tsd does have some good tunes to, sucks they stop doing 6.0 online tuning. Gear head I just had a hard time getting them to email me back for tweaks there transmission shift is harsh. Quick tricks has had really good sevice. Tsd and wpe are my top picks.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
So, I have some additional numbers from todays testing. The video did not appear as well as I would have liked so, I'll be working on a way to solidly improve that.

I started with installing the Performance FICM tune from Innovative Diesel. When running with the stock programmed ECM/TCM there is a better, smoother throttle response and additional spooling of the turbo in the lower RPM band. It did run a little hotter (say 25-50* EGT for comparable loading compared to the stock FICM). Boost remained limited to 28#, which I attribute to the stock program alone.

In keeping the same route as before I have 65mph numbers. (traffic prevented the 45, 55, and 75mph runs):

65mph - FICM - 2252 - 675 - 45% - 30 - 128 - 5

The next step was to reload my old Innovative Diesel X-Race file (which has not been altered for the tuning of the FICM or the Turbo replacement). This wasn't my original plan, however I was curious to see how it would run. The answer quite a bit. Throttle response, lag, and EGTs cruising are all improved, over how this file behaved previously. However, this file still limited by boost numbers to around 32#.

65mph - X-Race - 2252 - 750 - 45% - 28 - 146 - 6

As for the observations: Smoother power band, I'm not feeling that jerk when the truck starts building boost over 3-4#. Hitting from 65mph to 80mph and there is significant power on tap almost immediately. As for smoke, virtually none under normal driving, a haze under my X-Race when I initially spooled the turbo and clear from that point forward.

There is around 4 phases of whine (though it is deeper than any other Powerstroke turbo I've come across):
1) Under 3#: Nearly no whine, but the rumble of a large V-8 Gasser. Very noticeable during deceleration when Tow-Haul is engaged.
2) 3-5#: Noticeable low grunt whine as the turbo spools - louder over stock.
3) 5-12#: Similar to stock in this band, although a little lower in tone - and louder.
4) 13# and Above: You start to hear the higher-pitch Pmax caliber whine with a noticeable power difference.

I'm running a 3.5" Stainless Downpipe, Stock CAT, and a 5" MBRP side exit without a tip, for those curious.

The previous results post is up to date with this new data.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I have tunes on their way for this setup.

Went with Windrunner Performance Engineering (WPE) for the first batch of tunes. I'll be running White Rain as a daily driver, and I have two versions of their tow file headed my way. One with aggressive fueling, and the other basically a transmission and turbo only sort of file.

We'll get numbers on these files and I have a lead on a load to pull around in the 10-12k range. I'm really wanting to see some towing numbers with this, as I'm sure many on the ORG are as well.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Loaded the new file tonight.

WPE's White Rain is my new favorite tune. Still need a couple of days to get the most out of driving this, but its definitely taking advantage of the capabilities of this new turbo. Nate, if you follow this site man, you've got a satisfied customer here.

Here's some number's jotted down while I was out tonight, not the formal data logging I've done to date, but I wanted to share what I found.

45mph - WPE - 1650 - 650 - ? - 38 - 115 - 4
55mph - WPE - 1900 - 675 - ? - 38 - 125 - 6
65mph - WPE - 2250 - 625 - ? - 28 - 150 - 6
75mph - WPE - 2500 - 750 - ? - 20 - 155 - 7

I will get some solid numbers under the standard circuit later this week, and I will work to get some videos posted up on how much different this turbo responds compared to some of the Powermax videos you can watch on youtube.

Some observations:
-Turbo Lag: Definately improved over stock, though purhaps that's just the first night of me driving it.

-Throttle Response: Very smooth. Improved over stock, more boost is built low and the shifts occur a little later in the RPM band. No stop-light effect like I have on my X-Race (though I haven't had the nerve to punch it just yet). City, you get going from the lights smoother, and temps remain lower.

-Boost and MAF#: Improved, I imediately noticed how much more air I'm moving. MAF#, Boost, throttle responce, and most importantly EGT's are all down. [Note: 75mph at 2500RPM I am noticing considerable EGT reduction over stock and race files of 100*]

-Smoke: Mind you tonight was not stoplight-to-stoplight, so I'll comment on this later.

-Sound: Lets just say, that the old girl has moved out of 'sleeper' status with the sound of this turbo.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
New Numbers this evening with WPE White Rain:
(Note: just noticed that EBP was available for the Insight, numbers are being provided)

Speed - Tune - RPM - EGT - VGT% - Load - MAF - Boost - EBP
55mph - WPE - 1900 - 700 - 46.0% - 16% - 120.6 - 4# - 7#
65mph - WPE - 2100 - 700 - 46.6% - 20% - 138.9 - 5# - 9#
75mph - WPE - 2450 - 850 - 40.9% - 20% - 182.6 - 7# - 10#

Near WOT peak numbers (short run 5th geart, ~90% throttle):
2754rpm - 1100*egt - 46.7%vgt - 61%load - 461maf - 35# boost - 38# EBP

I have a video of most of this tonight. Audio still needs work, but I am going to work on getting something loaded on youtube to let y'all see what this can do.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Loaded the new file tonight.

WPE's White Rain is my new favorite tune. Still need a couple of days to get the most out of driving this, but its definitely taking advantage of the capabilities of this new turbo. Nate, if you follow this site man, you've got a satisfied customer here.

Here's some number's jotted down while I was out tonight, not the formal data logging I've done to date, but I wanted to share what I found.

45mph - WPE - 1650 - 650 - ? - 38 - 115 - 4
55mph - WPE - 1900 - 675 - ? - 38 - 125 - 6
65mph - WPE - 2250 - 625 - ? - 28 - 150 - 6
75mph - WPE - 2500 - 750 - ? - 20 - 155 - 7

I will get some solid numbers under the standard circuit later this week, and I will work to get some videos posted up on how much different this turbo responds compared to some of the Powermax videos you can watch on youtube.

Some observations:
-Turbo Lag: Definately improved over stock, though purhaps that's just the first night of me driving it.

-Throttle Response: Very smooth. Improved over stock, more boost is built low and the shifts occur a little later in the RPM band. No stop-light effect like I have on my X-Race (though I haven't had the nerve to punch it just yet). City, you get going from the lights smoother, and temps remain lower.

-Boost and MAF#: Improved, I imediately noticed how much more air I'm moving. MAF#, Boost, throttle responce, and most importantly EGT's are all down. [Note: 75mph at 2500RPM I am noticing considerable EGT reduction over stock and race files of 100*]

-Smoke: Mind you tonight was not stoplight-to-stoplight, so I'll comment on this later.

-Sound: Lets just say, that the old girl has moved out of 'sleeper' status with the sound of this turbo.
White rain is my favorite dd drive on my kc stage 2, it hold the gear longer. I'm at 5500 ft in Colorado. When ur driving in the mountains it holds the rpm up making the stage two have no lag, so if anyone is looking for a tune up at 5000 ft look into wpe tunes.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts