Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Graduate from college in Feb, will be picking up a 6.0 when that happens. Will be my first Ford :tard:

Have a good friend that's a Ford tech to help with everything thankfully.

This truck won't be used to haul or tow much in the way of anything.

Goals:
500hp (daily driver setting)
-20mpg or close to
-little haze, I dont like rolling coal when it's unnecessary
550hp+(fun setting) ;)
-Smoke doesn't matter
-EGTs stay decent so I dont destroy something.

What will it take for the this to be achievable?
I haven't the slightest idea what I need fuel (injector or pump) wise or what else I might need.

What I think I want so far.
-Master Bullerproof Package from Maryland Performance Diesel
-either a MTW hybrid or stage 2 turbo
-5" turbo back exhaust

Hope I'm on the right track so far.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
come back when you get the truck and a budget and read until then and you'll answer all your own questions and then some.

not trying to sound like a dick but this is a fantasy build.

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
Hmmmm.... a 500hp 20mpg rig? Good luck.:thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
come back when you get the truck and a budget and read until then and you'll answer all your own questions and then some.

not trying to sound like a dick but this is a fantasy build.
Not a fantasy build at all, I assure you.

Planning in advance is what I do, so I want everything set out so I can buy it all in one lump when I get the truck.

Budget? $8k Lets see if we can work with that.

Hmmmm.... a 500hp 20mpg rig? Good luck.:thumb:
I'm willing to learn here, tell me why this isn't possible?:approve:

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
I'm willing to learn here, tell me why this isn't possible?:approve:
How good are you at keeping your foot out of the fun pedal?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
I think it is a possible build, hell I bet I can get under the 8k budget. It would take planning and so trust, but it can be done. I like a chanage, and when people say it can't makes me want to work harder.

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
You think you can get him 20mpg Adrian? What are you getting mpg wise with your setup?

·
Registered
71 Posts
really lookin forward to seein the options and opinions in this thread :p

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Check out the threads in my sig, a weath of great information.

Personally, I don't think you'll need two independent tunes just to get the mileage. Just drive it with a responsible right foot. Most drivers see their best results with their highest HP tunes. The only time you don't, is on those files where you've adjusted the transmission for the track and sacrificed drivability.

As for the 20mpg figure, there are plenty of theories on making that work on the 6.0L, but none at the power levels you are talking. Interested in hearing how you want to make that happen.

Any questions, let us know.

·
Registered
845 Posts
not sure why everyone scoffs at 20mpg, i drive a bonestock 04 w/ 72000 on the clock. last week i installed a tune from gearhead ( MATT ) and my first fillup has shown an increase of 2,5 mpg. all while playing and adjusting some settings. no doubt in mind, that if i wanted to take a long haul, id would be close. lately my driving has been city ish, while playing, and i see around 17.5mpg.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ive got 20.2 hand calculated before with my exact setup on looney wild, but thats cruise set on 60 like a damn turtle in the right lane. I think 175/75's and a stage 2 would be a good setup for what your looking for!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ive got 20.2 hand calculated before with my exact setup on looney wild, but thats cruise set on 60 like a damn turtle in the right lane. I think 175/75's and a stage 2 would be a good setup for what your looking for!
I normally cruise at the speed limit, no problem there.

Obviously a stage 2 would clean up 175/75s. Would a Stage 2 with billet wheel clean up 175/100s or something bigger anyway?

·
Registered
371 Posts
a stage 2 will not clean up 175/75s.

I would also like to add its not going to smoke with the right tuning. My truck will not smoke a drop unless i stand on it, or a wot pull. You can always get the tuner to pull fuel out of the tune. but as a DD, i dont have a problem keeping smoke out of it. Its all about learning how the truck drives and play into the boost i guess you could say.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Not fully, but it does have the potential (with the right tuning) to clean them up good enough to not have to go with a Stage 3. :hehe:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts