Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
POWERCHOKER
2,706 Posts
Shiny... These kits are extremely well put together, beats the crap outta my last cheap hid kit in my previous truck!
That's a nice projector right there...Where do I get one from?

I need to start planning my headlight build. My plan was to wait until my Recon's failed, but I had a pretty bad scare tonight. I started up my truck and one of the CCFL halo's was out. I turned the truck off and on multiple times to make sure it really happened. I already knew they were going to fail, but I didn't expect a halo to go out in less than 5 months. In addition to the shame of driving around with non-symmetrical lighting, my normally enjoyable trip to Lowe's was tainted with dreadful thoughts of enduring an aggravating warranty claim attempt with Recon. I was preparing to start a thread regarding the situation back at home, but I noticed the halo working again at last glance of my truck before closing the garage. I will take this as a sign that I need to start making preparations for the coming event.

·
Registered
132 Posts
looking to tackle this project as well. when you painted reflectors and shrouds did you scuff them up and spray primer or just spray them with the paint? thx!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
It's the mini h1 kit from www.theretrofitsource.com

When I painted mine I just cleaned them really good and scratched them a little with a scotchbrite pad. You really don't have to worry about paint chipping off chrome since its protected by the headlight lens pretty good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
looking to tackle this project as well. when you painted reflectors and shrouds did you scuff them up and spray primer or just spray them with the paint? thx!
I just scuffed up the chrome and and cleaned it real good when I painted mine and no problems since.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I just scuffed up the chrome and and cleaned it real good when I painted mine and no problems since.
I did this with the lights on my last truck, I read somewhere of someone using oven cleaner to strip the chrome right off the reflectors to bare black plastic so Im going to try that. Probably wont make much difference but I have the time so I might as well try it out.

Wow Dantron that was fast, Im not surprised though the quality of there stuff is so bad. What a waste. Sucks cause they will deffinitely give you the screw around for warranty. If you can get new ones then just sell them and try to recoup some losses.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
That's a nice projector right there...Where do I get one from?

I need to start planning my headlight build. My plan was to wait until my Recon's failed, but I had a pretty bad scare tonight. I started up my truck and one of the CCFL halo's was out. I turned the truck off and on multiple times to make sure it really happened. I already knew they were going to fail, but I didn't expect a halo to go out in less than 5 months. In addition to the shame of driving around with non-symmetrical lighting, my normally enjoyable trip to Lowe's was tainted with dreadful thoughts of enduring an aggravating warranty claim attempt with Recon. I was preparing to start a thread regarding the situation back at home, but I noticed the halo working again at last glance of my truck before closing the garage. I will take this as a sign that I need to start making preparations for the coming event.
Hey something to check with the recon halos, make sure the little wire tap things they use are on good for the one that went out. When I first installed mine one halo didn't light up, I was so pissed, but I figured out that the tap things are a little too big to hit the metal in the wire I was tapping into.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
im working on getting a spare set of headlights right now so i dont have to rush the install. hopefully get mine going here soon.

·
POWERCHOKER
2,706 Posts
Hey something to check with the recon halos, make sure the little wire tap things they use are on good for the one that went out. When I first installed mine one halo didn't light up, I was so pissed, but I figured out that the tap things are a little too big to hit the metal in the wire I was tapping into.

Thanks! Yeah they've been all working again, but I need to tinker with them anyway. Will this retrofit kit work on the stock headlights?

Bi-xenon FX-R Stage IV Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thanks! Yeah they've been all working again, but I need to tinker with them anyway. Will this retrofit kit work on the stock headlights?

Bi-xenon FX-R Stage IV Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc
I think there is a guy on here that was in the process of putting those projectors in but it's a lot harder than the mini h1 kit. If you look at the picture of the projector those mount with screws somehow. You would have to fab up some kind of mounts for them.

The mini h1s just have a threaded shaft that goes through the old bulb hole then you put a nut on the back.

It's possible but I wouldn't attempt it.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The other guy doing them gave up and ended up sending all his parts to a shop to do I'm pretty sure

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
POWERCHOKER
2,706 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
The other guy doing them gave up and ended up sending all his parts to a shop to do I'm pretty sure

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Ah yeah I remember that now.

Alright, so the FX-R is out. Is there a difference between the Mini-H1 and the Mini-D2S?

Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

I wonder if I could retrofit the housing of my Recon headlights? The seal on them is uneven and already looks like crap, so maybe I'll be able to fix that at the same time.
Well if I hadn't already done mine I would go with the D2s kit. They weren't out when I did mine but it looks like they are just like the h1s mounting wise, but have a little better light output like the fx-rs. Seems like the best. The shrouds are going to be a little different though with the square projectors. Should look cool though since the fog lights are square too.

I'm not sure about the recons though, in the other thread somebody was asking the same thing with no answer.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Alright, so the FX-R is out. Is there a difference between the Mini-H1 and the Mini-D2S?

Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

I wonder if I could retrofit the housing of my Recon headlights? The seal on them is uneven and already looks like crap, so maybe I'll be able to fix that at the same time.

The d2s comes in square or the normal circle lens. When you click on the link and the first drop down where you pick x or o lens, x is the square lens and o is the circle lens.

·
POWERCHOKER
2,706 Posts
Wow! There are so many options for each kit! I definitely want Halo's. I wonder if the 55W bulbs would be better? Or maybe I can put 2 projectors with 35W bulbs in each headlight and one will replace the turn signal portion? How does the Lo-beam and Hi-beam work on these things?

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
Wow! There are so many options for each kit! I definitely want Halo's. I wonder if the 55W bulbs would be better? Or maybe I can put 2 projectors with 35W bulbs in each headlight and one will replace the turn signal portion? How does the Lo-beam and Hi-beam work on these things?

Its one bulb, when you hit the hi's a solenoid moves the shield out up exposing the the whole beam. The shield creates the cut off line, hit the brights and that shield is moved up out of the way.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I was discussing the wattages with a company and he recommended to stay with 35 watt due to bulb life. They will last longer and the 55w supposedly aren't much of a different. Not sure how true that is but who knows. It would be cool to do dual projectors but you may run into issues with dot. I'm not sure what they allow. I thought it was a maximum of 4 lights. 2 headlights and 2 fogs but don't qoute me.

Here is a good video explaining how they work. I recommend to look through TRS YouTube channel. They have lots of videos showing the various steps of the process and definitely made my first retrofit a breeze.

This video shows a little more detail and up close of the morimoto mini h1 and how it works.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Awesome! I'll defintely be watching these vids..
they helped me a ton. also if you do a write up and write reviews on their website they offer cash back or in store credit for your next purchase. you will get the little card in the box with your projectors and stuff.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts