Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently upgraded my 20x8 rims to 20x10s. I never had a rubbing problem with the 20x8's on a 2.5" spacer on the front but when i moved to the 20x10's that extra width made the tires rub my mud flaps. I removed my mudflaps today and the tires are just barely hitting the wheel wells and are actually skimming the corner of my fender flares. I'm afraid when I hit a bump during a full turn the wall grabbers on the tires might rip my fender flare off.

So my only option besides removing my flares is to lift it higher. I wasn't really interested in purchasing some big lift kit. I currently have no blocks in the rear. I would "like" to go higher if possible and increase my ride quality(when I added the 2.5 spacers it really roughened my ride), but I need my truck for hauling. I'm not too familiar with how changing certain suspension parts effects these truck's rides.

Here was what I was thinking..
Front:
Leave the 2.5" spacer.
Add coil springs to further increase the height (2 inches?)
Dual stabilizer bar
New shocks

Rear:
Add-a-leafs (size ??)
Blocks (size ??)
New shocks

So from stock ride height I would have 4.5 in the front, and have to make up roughly 3"(?) in the back.

I heard adding the leafs will really roughen the ride but more capacity would be nice. I don't want to sacrifice my ride just because I'll haul a bunch of gravel or bricks once every two months. Is there a happy medium between the two? Am I forgetting anything?

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Not that you won't get help here, but I think this may be better suited for the 2003-2007 Suspension Discussion forum. You posted this is the 2008-2010 Performance Discussion forum.

·
Registered
199 Posts
When you say budget lift what is your budget? A good quality 4.5" lift can ride better than stock while maintaining towing and payload capacities. Check out the Suspension forum, theres tons of info on this over there. Its ultimately gonna come down to your budget. I would buy a complete 4.5" lift with everything you need designed to work together rather than piecing together a kit trying to use what you already have. In addition to your list you would need a longer/adjustable track bar or track bar drop bracket, radius arm drop brackets, bump stops, sway bar links, etc.... If your going to buy new springs why not just buy a 4.5" spring (would be better ride) instead of adding a spacer to a smaller spring? Again, I would buy a kit with everything you need designed to work together

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't think they made coils that big, but i was looking at around 400ish budget ideally. Would you know of any kits around there or would I just be dreaming?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I didn't think they made coils that big, but i was looking at around 400ish budget ideally. Would you know of any kits around there or would I just be dreaming?

You want to put a $400 lift on a $25,000 truck?? :punish2:

First of all I have not seen any 4.5" kit for under $400.

For a 4.5" system your looking at around $1000 for the basic kit. Hell shocks should run you about $400 alone for a real quality kit that will both improve your ride and maintain payload and towing numbers.

The 6" kit I have on my truck ran almost $2,000 and its nothing special.

You need to do some reading in the suspension forums and school yourself on how crucial a good suspension is on these trucks. Go cheap or go home :thumb:

Good luck!

·
Registered
199 Posts
A $400 lift kit is a dream which would more likely turn into a nitemare. Some companies make coils for up to 8" of lift. 4"/4.5" lift kits with everything to install it correctly are gonna start around $1000. Better quality/riding lifts (carli, icon, pure) are gonna start around 2k+. If you think your truck rode harsher with the level kit its gonna be worse with a cheap lift. You definately get what you pay for.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would save up for a decent lift kit or start checking out the suspension classified section. every now and then a good 4.5" lift pops up

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
m.ebay.com/Pages/ViewItem.aspx?aid=290776630523&emvAD=480x604&sv=f250%204.5%20lift&emvcc=0&nbcol=0%7Cnull

So i should assume that this lift would be subpar on quality

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
BDS Suspension 4.5 lift. Rides great, at least if you get decent shocks. Did a lot of research and finally went for the BDS with some ICON parts. Couldn't be happier with my ride quality and handling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts