Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:doh: Well We had a hard rain this past Saturday and I went to go down a dirt road. The truck would not properly engage in 4x4 and was making a clunking noise. When put back into 2 wheel steering was acting really weird. Brought it to the local dealer and it turns out I have broken the right front axle shaft. I currently have 36610 miles on the vehicle so it is out of warranty. The dealer has pissed me off acussing me of hitting something or tearin it up. The thing is it has factory tires and has been in 4x4 probably 5 times since new. This is not a part that should fail and I know some of you really put them to the test. Tank comes to mind. The dealer that it is at is saying there is no way this could be a manufactures failure and I question how they have the competitence to say this. ?????? Is this something that I could break driving around at the camp or is this a defective part?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
well, 2 things could happen. 1 would be you are reving, moving etc and drop it into 4wheel. or are in 4 wheel and floor it and the wheel slips then grips very quickly and snaps the shaft. turning the wheels sharply while in 4x4 does not help matter. 2nd thing that might be happening is axle shaft alignment. if your ball joints, or alignment tech, or even lift kit have messed around with this.... BINDAGE. breakage... those are usually the cases for solid front axles to break.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I certainly wouldn't think this is something that should break in the mud on stock tires. What is the in service date on your truck? I would think something like that would be covered under the 6/60 powertrain if it was put in service late enough in the year (I think July was the time frame).

:dunno:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No lift and I was told warranty would not cover this problem anyway because it is not a defect, the dealership considers it a road hazard.
I didn't even get to engage it in 4x4 before the problem started.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I would try to find a new dealer... I 4WD launch mine sometimes and put it through more stress than yours has prolly ever seen.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
:doh: Well We had a hard rain this past Saturday and I went to go down a dirt road. The truck would not properly engage in 4x4 and was making a clunking noise. When put back into 2 wheel steering was acting really weird. Brought it to the local dealer and it turns out I have broken the right front axle shaft. I currently have 36610 miles on the vehicle so it is out of warranty. The dealer has pissed me off acussing me of hitting something or tearin it up. The thing is it has factory tires and has been in 4x4 probably 5 times since new. This is not a part that should fail and I know some of you really put them to the test. Tank comes to mind. The dealer that it is at is saying there is no way this could be a manufactures failure and I question how they have the competitence to say this. ?????? Is this something that I could break driving around at the camp or is this a defective part?
The dealer can take care of it under warranty. There is a deal where you pay 10% to 20% and the manufacturer cavers the remaining balance. I think it is called something like a P051 but don't quote me. I worked at 2 dealerships and ford is the only one that offers it I believe. We did it a lot at the Ford dealership I worked at. It usually helps if you have your regular maintenance done at the dealership and show you are a loyal customer. I would talk to the owner of the dealership or the general manager, not the service manager. The service manager will not help you out from my experience. The help always came from the owner or genereal manager that then told the service manager about the issue. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
One of my hobbys is rock crawling. A Dana 60 has some pretty stout shafts in it. Not that we do not break them on a regular basis but in a stock rig you should not. If it was broken under a load you would have heard and felt a loud pop. The only way I could think you would break it without knowing would be if you were bajaing it or something. The alignment being off will not break an axle. The ball joint would have to be literally falling out to put it in a bind. I would say that you have a bad part. If they will not fix it just order an after market cromolly one. They are far superior from the stock ones and are really pretty inexpensive. PM me if you need information on the best place to get an after market axle. JJ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts