Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 F350 with the dual alternator setup. I had to remove the lower alternator in order to get to the AC lines to do a compressor change.
Either way, when removing the alternator mounting bolts, the lower rear bolt broke. The good thing was I have about 3/4 sticking out. I grabbed my stud extractor to finish what I started. Well, that was my plan anyway until the broken bolt broke again. This time almost flush with the mounting bracket. I've tried several types of extractors and none of them will bite.
So question for the experts. How critical is the lower rear bolt for the alternator? Looks like to drill that out, I may need to remove the mounting bracket which looks like a pain.

All thoughts and ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Premium Member
9,066 Posts
How good are you at welding ?
place a nut over that and weld it in place -- the heat should loosen the threads

·
Premium Member
9,066 Posts
Use one size larger nut than would normally be needed -- this allows the weld to flow around the broken stud a little easier

·
Registered
06 6.0 drw 635 rwhp (retired) 08 KR build in progress
690 Posts
I usually drive a twist off socket on, in not enough sticking out I use the TIG welder and build it out enough to get a twist socket on. Same with broken exhaust manifold bolts. Mig would certainly possibly work on yours with a nut as long as someone didn’t cross thread it previously

·
Registered
08 F450
253 Posts
Use one size larger nut than would normally be needed -- this allows the weld to flow around the broken stud a little easier
Just curious because he has it broken close to where it goes in, have you ever had issues with the weld flowing down the stud enough that it welds to what you're trying to remove it from?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts