Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went camping at Borrego Springs in So Cal two weekend ago. Had a wonderful camping with our three adult children. Our son brought his 96 4.0lt Jeep Cherokee out and we had some great fun four wheeling in sand and rock washes.

Started home Sunday afternoon on Montezuma Valley Rd at mile marker 11. No cell service for five miles either direction. :confused: We buzzing up the hill in perfect 7.3 power with no issues what so ever until the motor missed twice and then flat out died. We were in a slight left hand turn and there was a piece of flat dirt to the right 40 ft long and 6 ft deep. When the rig stopped we were 6 ft or so from a 4 ft deep rain ditch and 2ft diam. concert pipe going under the road to the other side. 100 yards before and after where the motor quiet the mount was the side of the road.

When we stopped smoke started coming out from under the hood, so we jumped out, opened it up and had some water and fire extinguisher at the ready. Once I was sure it was not going to go up in flames I tried to start it, Doughtier yelled stop as oil was squirting out of a hose.

Turns out the right side high pressure oil line for the injectors had a hole in it about .030" to .050" big. I did not have a spear.

Anyway it took 11 hours or so for a tow service to show up after hitching a ride down the hill to cell service and then back up to the family and rig.

I will carry spears from now on along with a satellite message device.

Sunset Friday night.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sorry to hear about this but, it sounds like you made the best of it. This happening is exactly why I have a brand new set from CNC fabrication ready to go in my 99. Age/mileage wears them out and when they go, you're done. CNC Fab. lines are very stout and get rid of the quick couplers. You may never need another set.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
ahh sorry to hear you had a bad ending to a good trip.

ya the hpop lines suck when they blow. dead in the water.

I agree with tmc, cncfab lines are better than oem a fraction of the price.

might consider carrying a spare cps as well

1 - 3 of 3 Posts