Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the 3rd time this year..

I'm driving down the freeway and slow down to pass a accident when she starts to stumble and just DUMPS coal on the cops..so much i could hardly see there lights!

Well I nurse he along but then it just dies...so now I'm sitting in a snow drift waiting for the tow truck...

Its not the cps, tach moves and it tyres to start but just won't.

No oil or fuel leaks that I can see..

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My guess is IPR?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whats a AE?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Auto Enginuity. It's this nice little program that does everything the ford dealership can do, in terms of diagnosing and testing the systems. It's about $350 for AE with the enhanced ford bundle, which you would need.

And I second the IPR notion.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
'll ask around.

I took this screen shot when I stopped..

·
Registered
168 Posts
IPR duty cycle seems a bit high, for only half throttle. Top right gauge says EBP but I'm guessing that it's measured in millibars, not psi?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was at half throttle just to keep it running. .I took that ss wile on the side of the road (engine dead)

The most I have ever seen my IPR get too is 49.3% at WOT

The motor was just dumping smoke so I'm cinda thinking my IPR went out..?

·
Vendor
12,830 Posts
I was at half throttle just to keep it running. .I took that ss wile on the side of the road (engine dead)

The most I have ever seen my IPR get too is 49.3% at WOT

The motor was just dumping smoke so I'm cinda thinking my IPR went out..?
If its dumping black smoke its not ur ipr. You probably have a bad injectors stuck open dumping fuel.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not doing it wile it's cranking..just when it was trying to run..

I just left jiffylube to get my emissions done and it passed..this happened on my way home..

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So where do I go from here?

Guess I need to somehow do a buzz test to check injectors?

·
Vendor
12,830 Posts
It's not doing it wile it's cranking..just when it was trying to run..

I just left jiffylube to get my emissions done and it passed..this happened on my way home..
If ur ipr went out your truck would not(barely) run. When it goes bad it will not let the pump get to the correct hpop pressure to operate the injectors. If the the injectors can't operate then no fuel. No fuel means no smoke at all. So, its not your IPR.

Black smoke is way too much fuel.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah, I'm guessing it was black smoke...(it was really dark out last night so hard to tell..)

Guess ill half to find someone that can do a buzz test...

Looks like I'm stuck riding the bus for many months :(

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
you answered your own question....buzz test, either with AE or snap-on or ford level scanner. while cranking does it still puke black smoke? I'd unplug the ipr and see if thats the issue (if its bad that'll let it start)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Buddy of mine has a snap on solus

Hopefully we can test em tonight...

Its odd, I have suspected my injectors cus I'll get a knocking sound and sometimes I have longer then normal startup' and it just seemed off,
But it's ran good and has hardly ever blew black smoke so I just chocked it up to being paranoid..

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I was thinking that also..

I'd be screwed without you Corey lol

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
Won't work. U have to unplug ICP not IPR to force the pcm to to limp mode and be able to start it up.

:doh: to many sensors and abrivations thats what I meant....also have your solos check fuel pressure while cranking because it could help see a stuck inj :thumb:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anything else I should look for?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm busting *** at the machine shop after work..

Won't be able to work on it till Friday.
was talking to a buddy last night who is a mechanic, said it sounds like a stuck injector also, and to pull the valve covers and unplug injectors till it fire's up then ill cinda know.

Hope to just find out by a buzz test tho...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts