Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just got a F350 2008 diesel. I want to make sure i am breaking it in right. I have 150 miles on it so far. Can you guys give me some advice?

So far, I am trying not to drive at constant speeds and not idling more then 5 minutes. Also I am not towing but that is what I bought the truck for so please let me know when it is ok to tow. How much weight and when...

Appreciate any good advice you can give.

PS
I couldn't find this topic with a search although I am sure it has been discussed before...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
if im not mistaken i found my stuff on the users manual you get when you buy your truck, Congrats on the Purchase

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Give it about 500 miles of intermitent speeds, change the oil and drive it like you stole it!

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
what CHenry said and Welcome to the ORG !!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Nice truck and welcome to the ORG !!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank!

Thanks for the welcome! I am sure i will have questions later and possibly an answer or two. Thanks for the answers too.

·
Premium Member
13,244 Posts
500 or so miles, change the oil. drive it, tow with it. youll be fine.

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
Addie one more to Henry!!
CONGRATS ON THE PURCHASE!!

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
This is what I followed for my break in period.

TheDieselStop.Com - www.thedieselstop.com

As soon as I turned 1000 miles, I found the heaviest load I could find and ran like hell with it. Too bad it was only about 4k pounds.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Also if you plan on modding it at all, I would wait at least 5K miles just to make sure nothing shows its ugly head
X 2. I have 4,933 miles on mine and my truck is now making oil. The oil level is over the bulb on the wire of the dipstick. My Spartan tuner is enroute and now I have to get this resolved before I tune it.:doh:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I vote for 500 miles of easy driving with varied rpm. No idling or coasting. Best to take it out and do a lot of light acceleration and deceleration cycles repeatedly without coasting (use tow haul mode if it's an automatic). Next 500 miles drive normally. After 1000 to 1500 miles it should be ready for towing. You might want to change the oil.

·
Registered
334 Posts
This is how I have always done any engine I have built for cars, or ones I pit for in Late Models.
Waiting for 1000 without loading the engine I don't agree with. The reason being is that you are trying to set the rings in the cylinder. If you drive without a load this wont happen to quick, which is where the 1000 miles might come from.
New truck or engine.
Start and let get warm.
Check for leaks.
Drive at varying throttle positions, but don't hold at WOT for very long.
Get the engine to torque break itself in 4th or 5th down a hill.
I would be willing to bet after that the rings are set.
A new engine I would change the oil now, the truck I waited little after 500 for the first oil change, but should have changed it sooner.
It was a little black and the drain plug had some material, which was not any more that was on my recent engine build for my 96 Impala.

The biggest thing is to watch all the gauges. If anything seems out, stop. There are signs for everything.

Some of the engines in the Late Models were broke in on the Heat Races, changed the oil and raced the main.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, I did most of that for 500 miles, thanks! I did have to tow a trailer after the 500 because I bought a new one and had to go pick it up. It was 6500 lbs so I hope thats ok. With the horses it will weigh 10,000 lbs. I got 9.2 mpg towing the empty trailer and I am getting about 12 mpg avg city with no load. Ouch, but I didn't buy it for good gas mileage. Will it get better? The guys around here are telling me I need to add a chip or something. What do you guys with the same engine get?
Oh, maybe I should search for this answer..
My horse wants to go for a ride:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Well Vicky I can say that I was a bit worried when I first bought mine. It was good around 60 mph but dropped drastically at 70 mph or greater. I was seeing around 14 mpg. But as you said it's a big truck so I was not expecting a lot.

After breaking it in some it just got a lot better. Now I have over 35,000 miles.

I drove almost 800 miles yesterday and avg mpg was 20.7 for the trip. The first hundred miles I had 22.3. After the first regeneration cycle of the active DPF cleaning it did drop suddenly to 20.4. About 300 miles or so later it had recovered to 22.0 mpg. Later in the day I ran into some head winds and it gradually dropped and settled out at 20.7 mpg for the last hundred miles. I drove 66 mph most of the way.

I filled up in Gulfport, MS and added some fuel in Bishop, TX but I did not fill it up. 625 miles on the full tank.
My truck is an F250 so yours is a lot heavier. A lot of people have reported way less than what I'm seeing. I don't know why but I hope your luck is as good as mine with it.

Any wind seems to make a huge difference for or against the mpg.

Nice looking horse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks david
hey, thats great fuel mileage!
I had to move the horses on a really short but hilly trip and got 7.2mpg!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
thats a good looking setup!! and nice horse. as your truck gets "broke in" your mileage will go up slightly but its a 9000# truck so you cant expect much. if you want a programer it will give you more power and some tunes give you better mileage but it will also void the warranty so its up to you. alot of the 6.4 guys round here will tell you whats the best when you decide on it.

BTW WELCOME TO THE ORG

1 - 20 of 32 Posts