Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an F450, auto with a 4.30 diff. I drive 55 Mph most everywhere. I have been getting 10 - 11 MPG depending on conditions (that's without my trailer of course). The past two days I have miraculously all of a sudden gotten 17.5 MPG consistantly. The truck is stock. no tuners or bigger tires etc.. I now have 23000 miles on the truck, and I'm wondering if that is the break in point? Has anyone else got some miles on their trucks and experienced this jump in MPG?

·
Registered
818 Posts
HELL NO, I would love to see that type of milage, thats why i'm getting a DPF Delete:thumb:

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
sounds like you just got lucky between regens
Thats what I am thinking....bet it has not regened in the time you checked the mileage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was in Oregon earlier this week (I go there once a week from Alberta Canada) and on my way home it regen'd 3 times in 800 miles which was very odd. I was only getting 7.8 MPG on my way home, but my gvw was 26000 Lbs at the time, and I was in a bit of a hurry going 60 Mph. I unhooked my trailer at the shop, and drove home (I live in a small town 30 miles away from the city I work in) and that is when I reset my computer on the truck, and it was reading 17.5 MPG. It has NEVER come close to reading that high in the past. I have verified my on board computer with the actual mileage before, and it was accurate. I'm hoping it is still accurate, but it will take a few days to find out.
So on my way home from work today I did a little experiment, and I drove for five minutes at 55, five min at 62, and five min at 68 (not an even 60 or 70 because I converted from kilometers which I was going 90, 100, and 110) 2000 RPM at 55 MPH, and 20.5 MPG!!! 2250 RPM at 62 MPH, and 13 MPG. 2500 RPM at 68 MPH, and 12 MPG according to the on board computer.
I'm quite sure I didn't just "get lucky" between regens. I reset the computer many times a week on my way to and from work. Never have I seen any numbers higher than 12 or 13. And, the mileage has been high for two full days now. I've put on about 150 miles with it that high.:dunno:

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
A short trip on the highway where you reset the meter is not an accurate reading....

I hope you are getting that kind of mileage, but I think you are going to be hit with reality the next time your truck regens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I do realize it is not an accurate reading for a full tank of fuel, but I really do believe that it is accurate for that particular moment. What I have noticed is that based on your manifold (turbo) pressure, you can usually accurately judge what you are getting for mileage. I know that on a full trip, you have to take into account hills, wind, elevation, air pressures and such. But I am always checking the computer, and it has never been possible to get it to go up that high. Maybe I'll go on a trip this weekend to see if I can get an actual (hand calculated) mileage reading. And I also know that once it regens, it can go to crap. On my last trip, I noticed that during regen it dropped one full MPG, but about an hour after the regen, it came right back up (My trips to Oregon are 800 miles one way. I reset the computer at the start of the trip, and when I get loaded to come back).

·
Registered
589 Posts
i bet when you were towing your exhaust got really hot and cleaned the filter very well and then you you drove 30 miles with a perfectly clean filter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been doing the same run for months. It has always been the same. I get to the shop at 5 in the morning, unhook and go home. The truck has NEVER gotten anywhere near that kind of mileage in 23000 miles. I check ALL the time. I'm spending over $1500 on fuel per WEEK. I know you guys are thinking I am just wackadoo, and I can't really believe it myself. So tomorrow I am going to make a day trip to Montana so I can run a full tank and then hand calculate it. Has ANYBODY taken their "stock" truck past 25000 miles yet? Anything similar for mileages?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. I did my test. I drove for 340 miles at a top speed of 55 MPH. I had to go over some hills, so I wasn't expecting to see an exact 17 MPG, but I did get 15.5 MPG hand calculated. Which was only .3 less than what the computer was saying (I reset the computer about 5 minutes after I had filled). So I am definitely getting better mileage AND, it went into full regen within the first quarter of the trip. I left it running doing the regen thing (cause you're not supposed to shut the truck off when it is in full regen) while I went into a store for 5 minutes. Is it not supposed to get better mileage after break in?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've got 19000 miles. On the highway the lie o meter will often show 16-19 mpgs If I reset it while driving.... because i reset it all the time, trying different speeds, drafting etc... but driving a full tank i have never gotten more than 13 on the highway in a long distance trip. city is 11mpg. I drive on the highway sometimes for a hour. check it, and it says again 17 mpg. thats a straight road, no wind because of the cement barriers. I'll bet if you, 08stroker check a full tank empty, it wont get 17mpg on the highway....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got 19000 miles. On the highway the lie o meter will often show 16-19 mpgs If I reset it while driving.... because i reset it all the time, trying different speeds, drafting etc... but driving a full tank i have never gotten more than 13 on the highway in a long distance trip. city is 11mpg. I drive on the highway sometimes for a hour. check it, and it says again 17 mpg. thats a straight road, no wind because of the cement barriers. I'll bet if you, 08stroker check a full tank empty, it wont get 17mpg on the highway....
My last post was with 3/4 of a tank. Hand calculated after I filled up at the end of the trip. From what I have found, once you are in overdrive, you can base your economy on your turbo pressure (except for when it goes into regen. Then everything is thrown out of whack!). On my truck, at 20 PSI, I am getting 8 MPG. At 10 PSI I am getting 13 MPG, and at about 7 PSI I am getting that 17 MPG. So if I were on a flat road with no wind, and I could make my turbo stay at the same pressure for the whole trip, then I should be able to get 17 MPG. Of coarse it's pretty much impossible to find a road that's all straight and flat like that. But, what I am saying is that my truck is most definitely getting better mileage than it ever has (It even went into regen once on the trip).

Also, I live in Canada, and for my test I decided to go down to Great Falls, Montana for the day. I had my friend with me, and when we got to the border coming home, they asked us what we had bought. I said nothing. Apparently this is suspicious activity to the border patrol. They had me drive into their fancy building, and they searched the entire truck. I was stuck there for 2 hours. I was pissed. Stupid young trainee border patrol woman.....

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Well your current numbers sound about like what mine has always done except mine is at a higher speed than yours due to gears, weight, and overall size.

I don't lose much on a regen on the highway if you take in the overall average. So on a 1000 mile trip it regens twice and I lose one or two tenths each time from which it recovers if you drive long enough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts