Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i finally got it done. Went to All Automatics in Bakersfield, Ca and had them do a complete rebuild for a heavy duty 4r100. They did it up right for $2500. Even replaced the flywheel for free while they had the tranny out. Said they would replace the rear main seal while they were at it but found out the tool to do that cost about $1300 and wasnt wortht he trouble right now. Triple disc t/c, steel planetaries, new valve body. They are other parts to list but most of you know what all happens and gets replaced with these trannies.

Still surprised that the stock tranny held out for 229,000 miles. it was still going but with my trip coming up to illinois with a 25 ft enclosed trailer weighing inn at over 10,000 lbs with tools and tractor on board, i decided i needed to bite the bullet now.

Oh yeah and its warrantied for 2 years 50,000 miles, and rated for 1200 ft-lbs of torque.

Sorry for the long post, just a little excited about it!

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
i am going to aamco monday and they are going to build mine up and and they said 1475 for everything but that is with a reman tq. was looking at a better tq but it was like an extra 500 bucks. and they wouldn't build mione with my own parts and warranty so i am gonna have them use there parts i hope its a heavy duty build. they told me they use borg warner parts and that what pat sells is junk. hopefully its the right choice. mine has 197k on the stock tranny.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I hate to be the barer of bad news but for $1500 you aren't getting an "HD" tranny. For that matter for $2500 you aren't getting a truely "built" tranny. A few extra parts that might be a bit stronger than stock that everyone knows about but that's about it. There is a reason why a BTS or any of the other "built" transmissions cost upward of $4000 and it isn't because they are just inflating the price. All the parts they use cost a lot of money.

If the stocker lasted as long as it did then it's likely you don't abuse it to the point in actually needing a "built" tranny but typically 6 months or so after seeing posts like there where someone found some local shop that says they can built a "bullitproof" tranny there is another post of how their new tranny is busted. I hope that's not the case here.

$500 is well worth a decent TC especially if you are getting the rest of the build for so cheap. I talked to the local Aamco around here and they told me they could build a strong tranny. When I started questioning him about the parts they use he had no idea of most of the upgraded parts I was talking about. I walking out the door chuckling to myself thinking that guy was an idiot and had no clue what it takes to build a tranny to hold up to a souped up diesel.

Like I said goog luck to the both of you and I really hope that the transmissions work out for you guys but don't get your hopes up. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yep, most "heavy-duty" rebuilds are in comparison to a stock tranny at best. If you're really gonna put some torque to the tranny it better be better than "heavy-duty"

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Just my 2cents, but I wouldn't let aamco near my truck, much less the tranny.

·
Registered
959 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
AAMCO is not going to be a heavy duty build. Stock reman is probably more heavy duty than what AAMCO will probably use.

Also, couldn't these guys have borrowed a tool for the rear main? Shouldn't cost too much. Hopefully yours stays leak free

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AAMCO is not going to be a heavy duty build. Stock reman is probably more heavy duty than what AAMCO will probably use.

Also, couldn't these guys have borrowed a tool for the rear main? Shouldn't cost too much. Hopefully yours stays leak free
They said they checked around and everyone just sends them into the local dealer to get the job done, so they couldnt find anyone even with the tool. :dunno:

I hate to be the barer of bad news but for $1500 you aren't getting an "HD" tranny. For that matter for $2500 you aren't getting a truely "built" tranny. A few extra parts that might be a bit stronger than stock that everyone knows about but that's about it. There is a reason why a BTS or any of the other "built" transmissions cost upward of $4000 and it isn't because they are just inflating the price. All the parts they use cost a lot of money.

If the stocker lasted as long as it did then it's likely you don't abuse it to the point in actually needing a "built" tranny but typically 6 months or so after seeing posts like there where someone found some local shop that says they can built a "bullitproof" tranny there is another post of how their new tranny is busted. I hope that's not the case here.

$500 is well worth a decent TC especially if you are getting the rest of the build for so cheap. I talked to the local Aamco around here and they told me they could build a strong tranny. When I started questioning him about the parts they use he had no idea of most of the upgraded parts I was talking about. I walking out the door chuckling to myself thinking that guy was an idiot and had no clue what it takes to build a tranny to hold up to a souped up diesel.

Like I said goog luck to the both of you and I really hope that the transmissions work out for you guys but don't get your hopes up. You get what you pay for.
I talked to the man himself in the shop and he was very knowledgable about the transmission. Maybe it is my own fault for not being tranny savy :doh: but he explained everything that they do to the transmission and it sounded very good to me. But i have 2 years and 50,000 miles to see what happens with it.

But the truck itself is used and abused. well at least the tranny was. Yes a lot of it was freeway miles, but most of the freeway miles is towing. And many of those towing miles was towing more than 15,000 lbs :tard:. So it wasnt an easy life for the tranny. but also the truck was mostly stock for it. no chips/programmers so i guess you could call that being easy on it.

Awesome!:thumb: I plan to have one built too. May use one of two local guys here that have built 4R100 that do well with pullin' sleds.
Too much trouble to get a complete parts list? I for one would love to see it. Keep us posted on how it does on your trip. Good luck.
I will get the list of upgrades that they did to the tranny as i soon as i get a chance and post that up.

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes sir. I love the look of a leveled out truck. they worked perfect. and now i got the tranny to go and have some fun.

·
Registered
497 Posts

Very well said GTS! u are so right about those "other" shops that claim to build "built" trannys. Im going John Wood or BTS, noway am i going with someone else.

·
Registered
959 Posts
They said they checked around and everyone just sends them into the local dealer to get the job done, so they couldnt find anyone even with the tool. :dunno:
I'm a little confused as to what they are talking about a "special tool" to replace a rear main. You can unbolt the plate that it goes in from the back of the engine and replace it that way or just use a seal puller to pull the old one and reinstall like any other seal. If they can't tackle that I'd really be hesitant to let them work on my tranny.

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i dont know the details on the tool. i have personally never replaced the rear main seal. Hopefully it doesnt come back to haunt me later. but i cant complain much, they didnt charge me anything to replace the flexplate, which i can find my thread from that a while ago and show you the troubles that was causing me.

I would like the down play to stop though. i would have loved to go with a johns woods trans but didnt have the time nor the money to do it right now and i needed the trans right now.

This shop does the pg&e ford trucks day in and day out rebuilding the stock transmission to a heavy duty transmission for their fleet trucks. so if pg&e trust them with their trucks, i do to. so that could be a reason why the transmission was a little cheaper here.

thanks

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
I would like the down play to stop though. i would have loved to go with a johns woods trans but didnt have the time nor the money to do it right now and i needed the trans right now.

This shop does the pg&e ford trucks day in and day out rebuilding the stock transmission to a heavy duty transmission for their fleet trucks. so if pg&e trust them with their trucks, i do to. so that could be a reason why the transmission was a little cheaper here.

thanks
Dont think anyone is trying to down play you... just most of us have been there done that...

I paid $3500 for a bullet proof tranny... Blew up in 12k, second in 10k more, third in 25k... then he said "I will build you one more and then I am done..."

That one lasted about 70k and when we tore it down... Nothing more then a warmed up stocker.

Here is the invoice for the new one, just so you know what really goes into one.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
I know many will agree with this. You can tell a shop to do a performance rebuild. If the guy doesn't know how to do it, its gonna be crap. I for one have a trans that came in my truck as "HD rebuilt." I added a JW valve body and its great!

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
I would be interested to hear what all went into the transmission that can handle 1200 ft/lbs. for that price. Parts to handle big power aren't cheap. That being said....Not everyone needs the "strongest transmission ever made". As long as it suits your needs then I don't see a problem. Just realize you don't get a bullet proof transmission and torque converter for $1500 or even $2500. (Unless maybe you do the rebuild on your own). Good luck with it.
-Aaron

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
okay well here is a list of what i know it has right now for those that were curious:

shift kit
code 62 kit ?? not sure what that is
steel rear planet kit
low stall, triple disc, billet lid torque converter

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
I wish you luck with your trans. I have chewed up 3 transmissions over the years. One was said to be built and it puked in 40K.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts