Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 f250 short bed ext.cab 4X4 with 4in lift and 315/75/16 tires, it has around 77k miles on it. I test vehicles for a living and I can say that it takes some bad breaks to scare me, and mine scare me once in a while. If someone decides to turn at the last minute then I am ready to wet myself depending on how close I am to them, and I try to keep my distance. This is at any speeds over 10 mph at 10mph If I try hard I can get wheel lock. Here is the worst part, When applies at a normal speed (not panic apply) the brakes seem to do OK. At a panic apply the pedal seems to drop further than normal and the brakes seem to do let the harder I press them. I am ready to buy $1200 SSBC from calipers but I am not sure if even that will fix it because I am not sure if that my problem. Do you think the problem is in the friction material or in the hydraulic system? Any ideas would be great, and Yes I know it’s a big truck with big tires but it’s bad when you’re going 25-35 mph, 2 car lengths behind someone and you can’t stop for anything. … Thanks.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Are you loosing Brake Fluid. I ask because if you have a bad master cylinder usually you will loose brake fluid. Also if you have a bad caliper you could be leaking break fluid. The only way to find the problem with the brake system is to do a visual inspection.

Check all calipers and brake pads, check all the lines for leaks, check the mastercylinder to make sure it is working properly and not leaking fluid. Also check the brake booster to make sure that is working properly.

Where in Michigan are you.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you loosing Brake Fluid. I ask because if you have a bad master cylinder usually you will loose brake fluid. Also if you have a bad caliper you could be leaking break fluid. The only way to find the problem with the brake system is to do a visual inspection.

Check all calipers and brake pads, check all the lines for leaks, check the mastercylinder to make sure it is working properly and not leaking fluid. Also check the brake booster to make sure that is working properly.

Where in Michigan are you.
Hey man I talked to you before I don’t have any leaks that I can see, and the master reservoir is full, I do test brakes for a living but it’s hard to narrow down this problem unless I start replacing parts, and I figured I would ask on here first. Thanks for the reply.

I am in carleton MI, not far from you ha.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Hey man I talked to you before I don’t have any leaks that I can see, and the master reservoir is full, I do test brakes for a living but it’s hard to narrow down this problem unless I start replacing parts, and I figured I would ask on here first. Thanks for the reply.

I am in carleton MI, not far from you ha.

Ok I thought you weren't far from me. If you want we can get together and look at the whole brake system this weekend.

May just need to bleed the brake system. You may have gotten air in the system some how.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How does the pedal feel in a emergency/panic breaking situation?? You stated the pedal seems lower but after that I could not understand your description..
the pedal travels further down and the brakes seem less effective then a normal slow apply.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
sounds like you have air..but i am in no way even close to a brake guy. just a break stuff guy :) if you looked at it and dont see any grooves on the rotor, your pads and rotors are probably ok.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts