Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done replacing the rotors and pads on all four corners. The left rear was totally trashed, and I had to replace the caliper as well. The other three did not look all that bad, but I went ahead and did them all. Everything went back together smooth till I got to the right front. I pushed the pistons back using the old pads to make sure they did not get racked in the caliper, but the caliper with new pads did not want to slip over the rotor easily. I took the new pads out, made sure the pistons were compressed as far as they could go and all the clips were installed correctly. I ended up banging it on and getting it back together , hoping everything would even out once it was driven a little.

Well I took it out for a test drive, and the right front was a lot tighter than I thought . . . .the truck pulls to the right pretty hard. I took it on the highway for about two miles, and when I got off I could smell the brakes and the right front was smoking.

Anyone have an experience like this? Am I gonna burn up the bearings on that wheel if I try to let it wear down a little bit? As I expected, everything was hot on that right front wheel/hub.

Sorry for the length. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I tore it back down tonight, and it ended up being one of the drift pins frozen into the caliper bracket. Banged it out, cleaned it up, a little fresh grease and everything was good.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That "drift pin" is a "caliper slide pin" and should be cleaned and lubricated every time you work on the brakes. Make sure that you're using caliper slide pin grease (high temp brake grease.) Not doing that got expensive for me on my first Ford diesel!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts