Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago my rear passanger side brake was sticking and then caliper started leaking fluid..I took it apart and the pistons of the caliper were pushed straight thru the pads and basically melting onto the rotor..replaced caliper, rotor, and pads...

Now a few months later out of no where (i live at the beach so I'm pretty sure it's the salt air) my drivers side rear caliper is sticking...its not as bad as before because I can see it's all in tact still, but I'm assuming for whatever reason the pistons of the caliper are not retracting...could this be a bad line clogging up or it's 100% a bad caliper ?

I don't want to drive on it untill I get it apart so I don't cause the same damage as before..but just trying to figure out if I should grab a caliper or a brake line before I get into it..

·
Registered
611 Posts
could be sand or the salty air... just had one of our 06 f350 SRWs rear right caliper do this on an older pad.. well it ate the inside pad and ouside was still ok..

Take ALL the calipers off the brackets, see if the slide pins move at all "Ill assume they dont by hand". Mine i had to bang out, wirebrush clean down, grease the hell out of and reinstall.. then i bought a new caliper for the back pass side and it came with new pins anyway so i used them... but i'd start there, sticking is mainly linked to the slide pins getting seized to the caliper.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had my passenger rear brake lock up last weekend and found my slide pins to be perfect. I tried to compress the pistons with a piston tool and I could barely move them. I went ahead and replaced the caliper and the hose. If you find some nasty fluid go ahead and bleed it all out. It made a huge difference on mine.

Advance Auto has the caliper with bracket, slides pins, hardware for $45 after core.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same problem on my truck twice. My slide pins were perfect but the pistons were corroded and stuck. I changed both calipers and drained and replaced my fluid the second time and havent had a problem since. I think once the fluid gets bad it just eats up the inside of the calipers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 05 is sticking on the right front. Only occasionally, but I'm sure it will get worse. The pins are fine, it slides fine on them, so I assume it's the piston. I've had this issue on nearly every Ford truck I have owned in the past 30 years. In the past I replaced the phenolic pistons with stainless steel pistons and never had it happen again, but I can't find stainless pistons for an 05. I've looked for calipers with stainless pistons & just the pistons themselves, thinking I would rebuild the calipers myself. Anyone know where to get stainless pistons, who makes them, etc. ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts