Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 02 F350 single wheel that has the passenger rear wheel getting smoking hot.
I tore it down and replaced the caliber and brake hose and even the brake hose that comes over the rear end housing. It still gets smoking hot, the pedal will get so hard its impossible to compress. I can literally just let off the pedal at 60 MPH and it will stop me as if I was stomping on the pedal, but the only one getting hot is the passenger rear.

The funny part is, it doesn't look like it's stuck, the rotor doesn't look like it has hardly been used, but it will have smoke rolling off of it. the hard brake pedal rules out the parking brake, and the bad bearings.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1 more thing, sometimes it acts like it has no vacuum, it won't blow out the vents on AC, just out of the defrost.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had a (dont laugh) Eagle Premier that had one wheel caliper that was sticking. I replaced it. Still sticking. Took it back to parts store and replaced - still sticking. Replaced hoses. Still sticking. This was a front wheel, so no parking brake cable. Replaced master cylinder and problem gone. Of course by then I had spent more than the car was worth, but the problem was solved.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I would inspect all the other brakes and make 100% sure the ENTIRE system is bled. And that vacuum could be hurting you too.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
vacuum should not be causing brake issues. these trucks use hydroboost (power steering assists the brakes)

I would do as jb said. check to make sure you have good fluid and the brakes are properly fed. you also might want to unplug the abs unit and see if that helps clear it up (although the rear should run off the same sensor).

also unless you physically check the parking brake I wouldn't rule it out. I had a problem with mine the parking brake on the right rear was sticking causing it to overheat.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Well if your brake pedal gets hard either your hydroboost is going bad or your mastercylinder maybe bad.

As for the brake that is getting hot. It could be the parking brake. Especially if the service brakes are not showing any wear on them. Remove the rotor and inspect the parking brake.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
it could be trash in the abs module

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What is the tool called that is needed to get the rear rotors off?
The hydro boost, is that what you are calling a power brake booster?

I am going to plug off that brake and see if it still gets hot, If it does then I know for sure where the problem is.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
What is the tool called that is needed to get the rear rotors off?
The hydro boost, is that what you are calling a power brake booster?

I am going to plug off that brake and see if it still gets hot, If it does then I know for sure where the problem is.
The tool to get the brake rotor off. First you have to remove the tire, then the brake caliper, caliper mount. Then the brake rotor should come off with no problem. May have to tap on it with a deadblow, or mallet. Sometimes it will be stuck to the tire lugs.

What ever you do unless you plan on replacing the rotor. Do not hit it with a steel hard hammer. You will damage the surface of the rotor.

The brake booster is the Hydro-boost. These trucks do not have a vacuum powered brake booster. They used a Hyrdo-boost powered brake booster. It is supplied hydraulic pressure from the powersteering pump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts