Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i'm in the middle of changing my rear brake pads before i leave on a trip in a couple days. I pulled both caliper pins but it was still hung up so i pryed it out. Turns out the piston was stuck on a little stub on the caliper and it pryed a piece of the piston off. what damage could that cause? is there enough missing to cause an uneven pressure on the brake pad? i didn't think that was a friction area...just compression force against the pads so what harm could it cause? do i need to replace the whole caliper now or if i smooth it out will it be ok?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
i am not sure try and smooth it

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
Well im not sure but if you take more off and make it uneven with the other one that will be bad.

·
Registered
597 Posts
need to check and see if you cracked the piston in the process. If piston is not craked, should be ok. But if piston is cracked, then you need to replace it.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I'd be most concerned that would eat up that seal.

·
Registered
74 Posts
brake caliper piston

:icon_ford: :usa:

Piston looks OK, I wouldn't do anything firther to it, except maybe make sure there are no sharp edges. Use a large "C" clamp to compress pistons into caliper, ( you will need to do this SLOWLY), back and forth between pistons until they are both fulling compressed, then re-install onto new pads. Make sure you install silencer shims, and use a disc pad silencer spray. After install, before installing wheels & tires, start truck, push brake peddle several times, hold occasionally, then check for any leaks. If no leaks and brake peddle feels normal, all should be OK.

:thumb: :woot:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'd be most concerned that would eat up that seal.
:icon_ford: :usa:

Hey "TurboSevenThree", any pics on interior? Rest of truck? looks nice, too bad you are in Mi., long way from N. Ca. Does truck run OK? Any problems? I know its not new, but I'm looking for a project truck, and a dually is great. I have a '04 F250 6.0 now. :dunno:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts