Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Brake Controllers

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  breuer69 
#1 ·
I saw first hand the importance of having a quality, properly adjusted brake controller. Saw a guy in a new Dodge pulling a flat-bed trailer the other day. When he came to a stop the brakes on the trailer locked up. The guy appeared to be having more than his share of problems with it. He headed down the freeway and I followed about 10 minutes later. About 2 miles down the road, I saw his rig had rolled, pretty much totaled the Dodge. The trailer brakes appear to have locked up and threw the truck and trailer out of control causing them to roll. Bad day all the way around.

I had similar problems a couple weeks ago when we took my 5ver on a trip. Two things I can't stand, bad steering and bad brakes. Stopped in and bought a Prodigy, installed it in the RV store parking lot and got the power level adjusted before hitting the road again. Best investment I ever made. Now truck and trailer stop as one. :thumb:

#3 ·
Good advice Gramps. Hope all read and take serious.

#4 ·
Prodigy P-3, I love it, works great, used to have a cheapo that came with the truck, it usually was either all the way on and locked up or jerked hard or it didn’t work at all. Best $120 I ever spent. Took 5 minutes to install and setup.

#5 ·
I hated the P3 that I had in my truck, I scrapped it and went back to the Primus....

#11 ·
Well, I had a chance to pull a trailer with my truck for the first time this weekend, and so far I'm impressed with the ford trailer brake controller. There wasn't much in the way of weight, but once I had the levels adjusted the trailed slowed right down with the truck, and much smoother then the el' cheapo my buddy has on his truck.

So far :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.