Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I win....
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coolant leak just popped up the other day, noticed a 3" spot in the driveway.
Traced it back to the water pump where it mounts to the front cover.
Its all dry above that area (I also have no coolant through my intake or through the BPD oil manifold, all rerouted and/or blocked off).

I assume the o-ring gave out, hoping its not a corroded hole or erosion.
Pump has been in for about 3-4 years?
Just hoping its not something to do with the pump itself...

Tearing it apart Monday with a new water pump seal in hand. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I just installed mine. Spent a bit of time cleaning the old seal off the block and in addition to the O-Ring, I used a very light coat of water pump RTV. I don't know if the BPD pumps have a weep hole, but if it does you couldn't see it until the pulley comes out anyway. Hoses can leak also. I have a $80 kit from harbor freight with a hand pump that can pressurize the system to help find leaks. It fits easily over the degas bottle, and if pressure is not lost within a couple minutes, I look at it the next day. My truck held 15 PSI overnight, my other vehicle lost 5 PSI and a few drips showed where the leak was.

I do this in sunny AZ, and CT in January would be a bit more uncomfortable.

·
Administrator
29,357 Posts
I have had my BPD pump on for many years with no issues . Would make sure it is not the bearings before you do an o-ring
I know of only one person who had a failure and of course BPD made it right even though they had no responsibility to do so

·
I win....
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shaft is tight, no play at all.
I verified with a mirror and flash light its leaking at about the 10 o'clock position.

All good, Ill bet its just an o-ring.....

·
I win....
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nah, thats bone dry. I have a freeze out plug in my front cover, and the donut seal loaded with RTV.
Along with the ODawg S3R manifold.

Reactions: ZMANN

·
I win....
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled the pump today, one of the seals is leaking on the pump shaft internally.
Its pushing coolant from behind the freeze plug on the pump housing.
Called BPD hoping to get the pump rebuilt, they are sending me a pump under 'good faith' warranty.
Should have it tomorrow.

How AWESOME are these guys??? @[email protected]

·
Registered
252 Posts
Pulled the pump today, one of the seals is leaking on the pump shaft internally.
Its pushing coolant from behind the freeze plug on the pump housing.
Called BPD hoping to get the pump rebuilt, they are sending me a pump under 'good faith' warranty.
Should have it tomorrow.

How AWESOME are these guys??? @[email protected]
Ah... we were bummed to hear about the leak:(

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to make it right!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Getting ready to do a coolant back flush, replace belt, hoses, tstat and coolant. Engine was bulletproofed, egr delete and other mods. Using Edge gauges to monitor everything. Engine has about 175,000 miles. Thinking about replacing water pump. Thinking I should go ahead and replace the water pump at the same time. See that BPD offers a water pump and the 7.3 clutch mod. Should I go with just the pump, or add the clutch mod as well. My wife and I just retired and soon be on the road pulling our fifth wheel. Trying to get all my ducks in a roll.

·
I win....
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I run the 7.3 clutch adapter, BPD water pump, Mishimoto rad, and a deleted my fan stator. I tow during the summer a few times per week and never have an issue. Even in heavy traffic. Cooling system is never a worry for me.

·
Administrator
21,624 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
You sound like a school bus or old 4runner roaring down the road :lol:
I've run the 3 most popular fan options. If you like the school bus or old 4Runner roar simply install the "snow plow" option. If memory serves, I ran that for like 300 miles or something and couldn't stand it! It cooled well but that friggin noise!! I went back to less than efficient (especially while towing) stock fan, and finally moved to 7.3. I won't be looking further. As for the noise, it lasts about 20 seconds when I pull outta my driveway first thing in the morning. The remainder of the day the fan noise is on par with the stock.

k

·
Administrator
21,624 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ive been reading a few posts about the mishimoto radiators causing high coolant pressure especially with the early version. I wonder if they are effecting the water pump seals and any other cooling system part? I also have a BPD water pump and i think its leaking. There is coolant that hits my fan and splashes everywhere. I have an early mishimoto radiator. Im thinking about swapping it out for the performance radiator that bulletproof sells

1 - 20 of 22 Posts