Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a bullet proof diesel remote oil cooler and filter setup installed on my truck last year. It was the heavy duty air to oil cooler with the cold weather kit. It’s finally getting hot around here in Michigan and I hooked the trailer up the other day to go pick up a car hoist.

Cruising down the freeway at 70mph unloaded with the trailer(2200lbs), ect was 196-198 and eot was around 204-206. Air temp was close to 90*

I pick up the hoist was an added 1500lbs and started back. Bumped the cruise up a little more to around 75mph and the ect was 196-200, eot was close to 210.

I feel like these oil temps are pretty high for no real heavy weight behind the truck.

Truck is studded, deleted, running tow tube on sct x4. On 35x12.5 tires.

Do these temps sound normal? Changing expressways and getting back up to speed seemed to sky rocket the oil temp. All the way up to 218* getting back up to 70 to merge into traffic and it took a long time to cool back down to 208-210.

Stock grill and radiator. Oil has lesas than 1000 miles on it.

Thank you in advance guys.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
IMO that is normal. I have the same set up with the BPD heavy cooler, but not tuned or deleted. These trucks are made to operate with ECT and EOT that high.

I tow an 11k trailer at 210 ECT and 220 EOT flat and level at 70 MPH, going up a 6% grade it will get to 220 and 238. Those temps are consistent from about 90 to 110.

·
Premium Member
4,375 Posts
210 eot? Thats not hot at all, what literature are you basing your concern? If that seems high to you, your probably at more risk of having moisture in your system. Motor oil runs peak efficiency around 220, newer engines are using thermostats to keep engines running closer to that range. Moisture doesn’t completely burn off till about then so at least once in awhile you need to reach those temps.

I towed very heavy with a 6.0 all over SW in summers. Ran EOT 250 for hours straight. Highest seen was 273 the truck kicked into limp mode at that temp climbing up into Flagstaff

Reactions: Patriot

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
210 is nothing that a good synthetic can’t handle. My little diesel Jett runs at 210 all day I’m the summer time. It’s got 299k on oe motor

·
Premium Member
4,375 Posts
Something to note, when you were running the oem oil water cooler, oil temps could effect coolant temps, and pulling the coolant up to 220+ can risk insufficient cooling of the heads but the SD has a very capable cooling system so normally not an issue. But with BPD the systems are seperated so you don’t get the risk or the benefit. But this does allow the oil to run a bit Warner in some circumstances but it is not issue since the lubricantion system works fine at the higher temps

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could just be paranoid. Puts me more at ease hearing that other people on here are seeing the same or higher temps. I know the big wheels and tires don’t help. Going to remove the lift and change wheel tire setup a little since all I really use the truck for is to haul the trailer.

Thank you for the input everyone.

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
Absolutely nothing to worry about. By biggest worry with my BPD HD cooler is getting it warm enough in the winter.

k

·
Premium Member
4,375 Posts
Absolutely nothing to worry about. By biggest worry with my BPD HD cooler is getting it warm enough in the winter.

k
Much more valid concern

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Much more valid concern
Although a valid concern, I see a loss of 1 or 2 MPG in cold weather where the oil temps won't go up. I suspect that can lead to premature engine wear, but I don't think anyone has ever reported that. If it's a concern in the winter, the oil radiator can be blocked from air flow.

Don't want to "scare" anyone searching this thread that the BPD air cooled cooler will ruin the engine if you drive it in cold weather. There was a good thread on someone from Northern Canada driving the BPD cooler up there and the temps he experienced in the dead of winter, but can't find it anymore.

·
Premium Member
4,375 Posts
Just meant more engine wear from sub 170 degree than 210+ (OPs concern).
Yes I used to block the air cooler in AK winters with an aluminum plate. I was never as concerned about low temps engine wear, though there is a lot of internet data out there on that subject. I don’t necessarily buy it all. As per mpg, nothing I could care about less

·
Registered
67 Posts
I also have th BPD oil cooler etc... i ran about +15 or so if the weather was over 85. Someone said i think the oil cooler temps will be +110 over outside air temps... and thats right at what mine were...

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Here is that original thread:

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-performance-parts-discussion/919826-bpd-195-t-stat-review.html

It got a little contentious but ended with Kumbaya.

There was a lot of info in that thread but everything is summarized well here above. @Patriot says run synthetic and leave your high temp worries behind. Very true. The summer/hauling EOT that a BPD air-to-oil delivers is well within the range of synthetic. Follow his lead on this.

@jetjock15 @kcoyner and @ChrisSki all mention not falling into the trap of believing that perpetually low oil temp is good. There have been people on here bragging that their oil temp never gets above 140F. Don't be that guy. A consistently achieved EOT of 200 or more is a good thing for oil health. If it isn't happening due to cold ambient conditions, make it happen. It's not difficult.

...and @wyowolf 's observation is good for planning purposes.

That is pretty much the whole deal, IMHO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts