Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how does the remote bpd oil cooler perform in cold weather climates? i live in norht west wyoming where it is routinely between 0* - 32* for at least 4 months and between 0* and minus 30* for an additional 2 months of the year. i've read about the cold weather bypass valve and how it is supposed to work but how reliable is it???

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Mine works fine although not nearly that cold here. It does a great job of letting your oil come up to temp.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are there any known issues with the location of the remote canister filter regarding snow build up behind the bumper????

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
VERY good questions. The cold weather kit will do JUST as good as the oem bypass for when the weather is cold. In fact just because they call it "cold weather" doesn't mean that it only works when the weather is cold. The thermostat that they install in the system ALWAYS bypasses the oil cooler when the temperature of the oil is below the operating temp of the thermostat. When it is bypassing the cooler, the oil just flows through an open line from the filter back to the motor and if I am not mistaken, should the thermostat ever fail, it would fail closed so the oil would just be diverted to the oil cooler all the time anyways.

I have ran my oil cooling setup both with and without a thermostat and BELIEVE me, having one in when it is winter out makes everything work just like stock. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Cold weather kit is good and will bring oil up to temp like stock. Also filter gas a plate that protects it from road debris. Can't speak for snow so far it is working

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
I live in Arizona, so I won't be of much help for performance in cold weather, but Nicholas (2006PSDSD) is running the BPD setup in Colorado, and he would have some feedback for you. You might try PMing him a link to this thread or just asking his opinion.

PS. There are also a few folks up in Canada that are also running it, but they aren't on as frequently. (Fishermedic is one of the guys and he has a HUGE thread about his install. It's a GREAT read if you are considering jumping in. :thumb: )

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2,740 Posts
I live in WI, and we generally see temps below 30 for about 5-6 months, January is almost always below zero, and we get plenty of snow (something about a lake effect :dunno: ) I have never had a problem with my bpd system getting the oil up to temp and keeping it in the operating range. Actually, it warms up just like stock, and warms the oil up faster than my clogged stock oil cooler did. I have also never had the issue of snow getting packed up around the filter. The plate that protects it does a good job of keeping the debris away from the filter, but there is some space to get snow lodged between the filter and the plate. The thing is that the oil flowing through the filter is at around 190* and the filter gets pretty warm, so the snow melts off of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts