Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How good do these work, are they worth the 2200 dollars, has anybody ran these, had any problems with them? I wanna start bulletproofing my truck and I've heard about guys putting 2 or 3 factory oil coolers in, it kinda seems like it'd be worth the money for one if they work good.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
There are a few people that have them, and I agree with you that it sounds good but the price is scary.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I would have one if it wasnt 20% of what I actually paid for my truck.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
There are a lot of threads about how well they work and a couple schools of thought on the subject. If you never want to touch an oil cooler again the BPD cooler is definitely the way to go. IPR has an oil cooler relocation kit that makes it easier to change out the oil cooler if you don't mind buying new coolers and swapping them out. Or you can just stick with an OEM cooler and dive back in when it clogs.

Along with the above is the topic of coolant and coolant filters. If you coolant is maintained and filtered some will argue that your cooler will not clog and you won't have to change it. Maybe you will and maybe you won't, really it's a gamble if you ask me.

I usually come out on the losing end when I gamble, I plan on keeping my truck for a long long time and I don't want to have down time to swap a cooler again so my decision was an easy one. :)

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

·
Registered
951 Posts
maintain the cooling system properly and the stock oil cooler is basically fine. If you were really worried, the IPR relocation setup is worth the money since its knocks the cooler change time down to about 30 minutes.

Jason

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Bpd is a nice set up no doubt.
Personally I opted for the ipr kit because its a $1,000 cheaper. And when ran in conjunction with their high flow coolant filter, there's no way the coolant side of the oil cooler will ever get clogged, you would be amazed at how much crap the filter keeps out of the cooler!

·
Registered
737 Posts
maintain the cooling system properly and the stock oil cooler is basically fine. If you were really worried, the IPR relocation setup is worth the money since its knocks the cooler change time down to about 30 minutes.

Jason
From personal experience i disagree with this. With that being said every truck is different. When i got my truck, coming up on 3 yrs now, i did a coolant flush and refilled with ford gold. A few months later i got the wrench light for oil temps. Ford put a new cooler in and did another flush. Within 8 months it was clogged again. This time i switched over to cat elc and did the flush with restore and restore plus. 4 months later clogged again. So i repeated the process again with all new parts and flushing till it was clear as day. Yet again another clogged cooler 6 months later. This time i switched to the BPD cooler and havent looked back. Its been 3 months and 5k and its working perfectly. If i would have done it the first time it would have saved me the money on the next 3. Live and learn.
i do agree the ipr kit is nice but still has the possibility of clogging but does dramatically cut down on repair time. The BPD kit is just that, bullettproof

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
Wow.... is that a coolant filter ??
$2200.00 is crazy money for a oil cooler. I have 74k on my oem egr cooler too still good 4-5 degrees. Get the ipr filter and factory will last if coolant is maintained.
Wished I bought ipr full flow, have sinister but it's doing it's job I suppose. 20k coolant service is easier than the coolers imo?
If money was no issue I would go with it, but still how do they feel it's that good??

·
Registered
737 Posts
Agree the price is alittle steep but in my opinion and case it was worth it. I havent worried about oil temps since the install and i know truck will never be down due to an oil cooler issue. Even towing in 90 degree heat my oil temps havent been more than 10 apart from coolant

·
Registered
951 Posts
113k miles on the original cooler and i have a 7-8* delta tops, was less before the EGR delete, ever since the delete the truck runs much cooler.

I think the chemical flushes cause more problems than they solve since when they are done, the system is almost impossibly dirty to be cleaned completely resulting in a bunch of debris that will continue to clog the cooler.

JMHO

Jason

·
Registered
137 Posts
i just put the ipr coolant reloc. kit on with high flow coolant filter...coulnt be happier...price is steep the first go around...but fix it and forget it...i toyed with the idea of just replacing the stock...but read the horror stories on here about having to replace them after 6 months or so...i ponyed up for the irp kit and love it...unlike other coolant filtration systems that only filter about 15% of the coolant iprs kit filters 100% so in thery there should never be a need to replace the oil cooler again...and if so...its a 20min. job that i can do myself and not have to worry about the truck being down for days...Hoogie

·
Registered
737 Posts
Also ill add that i have a diesel site coolant filter. Ipr's was not out yet when i was doing all this. Theirs seems to be a much better design. My coolant filter probably isnt needed but since i uave it ill leave it and just change it once a year to help the coolant system out.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
I have the BPD oil cooler kit with the cold weather package. Retail at this time, with their egr delete or egr cooler (which is also a huge upgrade) is $2545.00
Trust me, when you open the boxes and lay out everything that you get in the kit, and really LOOK at what you have...you realize that this isn't just another part replacement mod... This is an investment in your truck and gives you peace of mind knowing that you will NEVER have another oil cooler related issue.
If "one and done" has any worth to you, this is what you need to buy.
Worth every penny I spent and every hour it took to install it.

·
Glow Plugs Only
1,378 Posts
There are a lot of threads about how well they work and a couple schools of thought on the subject. If you never want to touch an oil cooler again the BPD cooler is definitely the way to go. IPR has an oil cooler relocation kit that makes it easier to change out the oil cooler if you don't mind buying new coolers and swapping them out. Or you can just stick with an OEM cooler and dive back in when it clogs.

Along with the above is the topic of coolant and coolant filters. If you coolant is maintained and filtered some will argue that your cooler will not clog and you won't have to change it. Maybe you will and maybe you won't, really it's a gamble if you ask me.

I usually come out on the losing end when I gamble, I plan on keeping my truck for a long long time and I don't want to have down time to swap a cooler again so my decision was an easy one. :)

Sent from my iPad using AG Free
I have the BPD oil cooler kit with the cold weather package. Retail at this time, with their egr delete or egr cooler (which is also a huge upgrade) is $2545.00
Trust me, when you open the boxes and lay out everything that you get in the kit, and really LOOK at what you have...you realize that this isn't just another part replacement mod... This is an investment in your truck and gives you peace of mind knowing that you will NEVER have another oil cooler related issue.
If "one and done" has any worth to you, this is what you need to buy.
Worth every penny I spent and every hour it took to install it.
I totally agree with Fishermedic and NYC F-350. When you actually see the kit laid out in front of you and get a sence of the R&D that went into it and quality of this upgrade along with the peace of mind that goes along with it the price is a very reasonable investment. View my thread via the link in my signature and you will see the kit laid out before I installed it. I personally feel it was well worth every cent and the time I spent installing it.
Cheers. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
The Bulletproof Diesel remote oil cooler is the only way to go. I promise you when you open those boxes and get the kit in your hands, it'll be very obvious that you got what you paid for. I went with the Bulletproof oil cooler because......

You'll never have to worry about oil in your coolant.

You'll never clog an oil cooler and have to buy another.

Your oil isn't dependent on your coolant to maintain its temperature, and you'll have lower coolant temps because your coolant isn't trying to regulate your oil temperature.

You'll never have a coolant filter that MUST be cleaned and maintained to have proper coolant flow. The coolant filter on the IPR kit is not a bypass filter (it filters 100% of the coolant), so the effect when it clogs is the same as a clogged oil cooler (bigger difference in EOT and ECT).

There are only 2 hoses introduced into the engine bay with the BPD kit instead of several large parts.

The OEM oil filter is replaced with a canister style filter, which eliminates the issue of the felt on the bottom of the OEM oil filter clogging the HPOP screen.

You add 5 quarts of oil capacity.

Bulletproof has had their kit out for several years and it's been tested and proven in extreme environments.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How hard is it to install, I have basic tool skills and really don't know a whole lot about engine and how they cool. I'm not afraid to tear into anything, but I'm sure there's a lot that could go wrong, and that could cost a lot of money.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Ok I know I have always had a different stand point on this setup. You can call Ken from BPD and ask him yourself lol. He will tell you what I have always said about their oil cooler kit.

As I have stated before I FIRMLY believe that BPD's oil cooler kit is the ONLY solution on the market for the oil cooler problems that the 6.0l powerstroke is plagued with. That said I have also stated in many threads that the price of their product is the only reason I have opted out of installing one in my truck. With that in mind I can tell you that everything in that kit is of the best quality you will find and to pay the personnel required to produce such a work of art and engineering wonder you have to employ the best and have the best manufacturing equipment available. Personally I feel that their price is too high for me to come out of pocket. That's not saying in any way that the kit isn't worth every penny they are asking for it. With that said I don't think that they should drop the price on that kit a single cent as it simply costs to much to produce it to be able to offer it for less money.

Most people who install this kit on their trucks do it for the piece of mind that they will NEVER have to rebuild another oil cooler on their trucks for the lifetime of the truck. That alone is enough for most to justify spending the extra money and getting this kit.

The reason I have had a different view point with the cost of this kit is the fact that I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and dig into mine and swap oil coolers and if you have any doubts of what I just said click on the link in my signature lol. For me I could replace my oil cooler many times over before the cost of the BPD kit would pay for itself. Does that mean that I would never buy or install this kit in my truck? NO I would love to get my hands on this kit and put it on my truck, if I ever get the extra money I may in the future just do it and be done with it.

PortcityGT I agree that Vince's kit is a great idea and a great quality kit. Is it a fix all solution to the oil cooler problems these engines are plagued with? Time will tell. I hope that it does end up being another option as a fix all solution. That way there are other options for people out there whether their deciding factors are money or cooling capabilities or what not just having another option out there is nice.

OP I hope this helps you in your search for a bulletproof option for your oil cooler. Good luck and if you need any help feel free to PM me anytime.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
I am 4 days into my BPD oil cooler with cold weather kit. I dont regret for one second installing it. It is really amazing how much better my oil temps are. And the piece of mind knowing that i wont EVER have to mess with it again or get stuck sleeping in my camper with my wife and 2 daughters in the parking lot of an out of town ford dealer waiting for my truck instead of camping. I am DONE with being stranded

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
The BPD kit is worth every penny it costs and the effort it takes to install it. No it isn't cheap but those that have tried to build something similar on their own have found out they would have been far better just buying the BPD kit to begin with. The level and quality of everything in the kit is first class and it is the ONLY kit that will remove the 6.0 oil cooler issue once and for all. I've had mine in for going on 3 years and never have to worry about it. Plus with the remote mount oil filter and my fuel system mods it let me get rid of the oem engine mounted filter cans. I've never heard anybody complain that they didn't spend their money wisely with the BPD oil cooler.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts