Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Dieselfab - Oddly enough we're not forecast to get below 20f over the next few weeks. After that it's spring. I don't know what more data I will be able to provide. I hope what I've been able to give you helps you guys come up with a solution. If all else fails, I'll be here next winter if you need more data logged.
I appreciate your efforts. Let me know how the 195* thermostat works as the ambient temps come up.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #142 (Edited)
A bit more data. I haven't been doing as many highway runs recently, so my apologies for the delay. As usual, bold is ambient, black italics is EOT, blue italics is ECT

60f = 185f 196f
55f = 179f 195f
50f = 174f 194f
45f = 170f 192f
40f = 167f 190f

Italics was old numbers. I couldn't find a strikeout feature.

Anywho, I've done several more runs in the 45-60 temp range... I'm not sure if it is due to the reset I did on my edge, or if the law of averages is biting my ***, but I have to revise all of my numbers in this range down. This seems to be supported by a consistent rad temp of 190f and a significant increase in the number of miles over which I recorded the data below compared to the data above.

60f = 180f 190f
55f = 176f 190f
50f = 172f 190f
45f = 169f 190f
40f = 167f 190f

At around 60f is where I reach what I consider to be an acceptable post-cooler/bypass temperature of 180f. I still haven't reached 195f yet, although we have some warmer days coming up so I may finally reach it. I observed a similar temp correlation last spring with the 180f t-stat installed, though I wasn't as diligent about data recording back them.

Secondly, the oil temperature is increasing at higher increments as the temperature goes up. While I leave this open to interpretation, I believe it is because the limited oil flow going through the cooler isn't being cooled as significantly by the ambient temps anymore, and is resulting in higher post-t-stat temps.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
So guys is this gonna do anything to help with high temps in the summer?

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts
What kind of temps are you seeing? Are you sure your fan is working as it should? I see 220* just towing a 21' boat that only weighs 3K plus the trailer. Ive accepted that as normal. I plan on having a tow tune written to with a better fan strategy to compensate.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
My first problem/issue I have is dually (higher rpm's/lower gears), in the mountains with the the basic sized cooler. In the summer heat, at highway speeds, towing or not, I can watch the eot slowly march up wards. Ive never let them get past 220* without easing off the throttle and flipping the manual fan mod. Temps fall quickly so its more of a nuisance than anything else.

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts
If Ken chimes in, he'll most likely tell you "unless its hitting 250* don't worry about it"

At least that's what their respons was to me after my install over 5 years ago. Delta is no longer a factor as you are no longer worried about the health OEM oil cooler. If I was you, just let it be, and see what happens. I think I have the alarm on my CS set at like 135*, that way if it does creep up that far I'll take it a little easier, but Its never gotten that high.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Ya he has, and I know, and I will. I just obsess about the little things.

Reactions: michaelaiman

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
You should be able to run dino oil up to 230* sustained with no issues, a true synthetic could probably go 240* or higher.

Whether the T-stat closes the bypass at 180* or 195,* by the time your oil is at 220* its flowing fully through the cooler because the bypass is completely closed. The difference should be neglible if not completely non existent at that temp.

The point of the bypass and t-stat is to establish a minimum engine oil operating temperature. The cooler's ability to cool in a given situation when temperatures are above this is what dictates the maximum engine oil operating temperature. If you are overheating with a standard cooler, or simply aren't comfortable with the temps, then you should consider swapping in a HD cooler.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
If you are overheating with a standard cooler, or simply aren't comfortable with the temps, then you should consider swapping in a HD cooler.
Thank you,I never thought about that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Kinnisoj I have the Mishimoto stat pulling 10,000 into the mountains north of you I see mine running about 216 - 220 up the steeper passes. I don't notice the fan kicking is as hard as it did last year with the old stat. It will ramp up but not fully then back off rather quickly as the temps come down much faster than they used to. I can only think that the old stat maybe wasn't opening like it should have. Based on what I've observed change it out it isn't that expensive or hard to do. I definitely liked it better during the winter with the extra few degrees it was a warmer ride.

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts
Kinnisoj I have the Mishimoto stat pulling 10,000 into the mountains north of you I see mine running about 216 - 220 up the steeper passes. I don't notice the fan kicking is as hard as it did last year with the old stat. It will ramp up but not fully then back off rather quickly as the temps come down much faster than they used to. I can only think that the old stat maybe wasn't opening like it should have. Based on what I've observed change it out it isn't that expensive or hard to do. I definitely liked it better during the winter with the extra few degrees it was a warmer ride.
This whole thread is pertaining to the thermostat on the BPD oil cooler thermostat, not the cooling system t-stat

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
and Im talking about the oil temps.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Reactions: michaelaiman

·
I win....
1,327 Posts
Quick update for my current setup.
I just installed my BPD 195* oil t-stat.
I was waiting for the temps to cool off a bit before the install.

The last 2-3 weeks, ambient temps have been very consistent- 35-40* at night, 45-55* during the day.
With the 180*stat installed (came like this from BPD), I had a hard time getting my EOT above 160* during my morning commutes (10-15min, with a 5-10min warm up).
This was regardless of the block heater used or not.
My ECT easily climbs to 180*+ on this short commute.

After just 5 days of having the 195* stat installed, my ECT has gone up for the better.
I am consistently seeing 175-180* EOT, with a 180-185* ECT during my commute.
Obviously didnt bring me up to the rated 195* temp, but a very solid 15* bump, just like the stat was designed.

I was confirming my EOT at the end of the my commute with my Dewalt infrared thermometer.
To my surprise, what ever my Edge Insight said, my oil pan & remote mounted oil filter both were within 1-2* of the Edge numbers.

Overall, very pleased with the jump in oil temps.
Will report back when the temps drop more.

·
I win....
1,327 Posts
Reactions: Canadian Mind

·
Registered
185 Posts
I try to not normally bump older threads but this is one I would like to see continue or at least find out if anything solid came out of it.

Canadian, did you ever get to test more at the beginning of this year or narrow anything down?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
I try to not normally bump older threads but this is one I would like to see continue or at least find out if anything solid came out of it.

Canadian, did you ever get to test more at the beginning of this year or narrow anything down?

Thanks

Honestly it never got cold enough to be worth trying to narrow down the numbers with a winter front. Driving without one the temps were consistent with what I've posted before, even with different oil.

141 - 158 of 158 Posts