Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BPD Oil Cooler 195* T-Stat Review

Posting the review of replacing the 180* BPD cold weather kit t-stat with the 195* t-stat. I'll share EOT data when I've collected it.

Recieved the t-stat this evening. Installation took all of 25 minutes, most of it wasted on finding tools. It's simpler to do than the blue spring mod. I'm sorry for the lack of pictures, wanted to get it done before dark.

The kit came with key/hex adapter to open the housing, the thermostat itself, a replacement cover seal, and a replacement large spring. You will need an 8mm socket wrench for the condensor bracket bolt, a #8 hex wrench for the cover key/adapter, and replacement tabs for the plastic cover. You reuse the brass plug, small spring, and t-stat cover.

The install is quite straight forward, just follow the directions. In summary, remove the plastic cover and passenger side condensor bracket. Use the adaptor and hex key to remove the cover. Discard the old seal. Remove the old assembly, be sure not to drop the brass plug and spring, they may be stuck in the cover nipple and dislodge themselves at an inconvenient time. Pull out the old t-stat and spring. I'm unsure of whether the new spring is required or not, but I replaced it with the assumption that if it wasn't required it wouldn't have been included.

Reinstall is everything in reverse. The instructions have a diagram for how everything goes together. I put the new spring in first, as the whole assembly is too big to fit around the oil cooler mounting bracket. I did lube the new seal before installation. The old one was dried out and frayed.

Overall very easy install. I do have a couple concerns. First is the oil cooler mounting bracket. The lip gets in the way of the t-stat cover and the rest of the assembly. You can work the parts around it, but you do have to force it. I don't like forcing delicate parts. If I had more time I would have cut the bracket so there was no interference. I didn't want to bend the bracket for fear of not being able to re-align it with the bracket mount.

I feel that a torque value for the cover could have been included. I tried turning it to it's previous position, but I was concerned about overtightening it. I think a required tool list could have been included as well, but it only took 2 minutes to figure out what I needed.

Like I said, I'll post the resulting changes in EOT when I have collected enough data.

BPD folks, would you like me to return the old t-stat?

Reactions: michaelaiman

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Oh heck now they are making a bullet proof thermostat?????KEN, you magnificent baztard!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes this is to replace the t-stat in the cold weather kit. I suppose I could have been more clear on that.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not believe so. The purpose of the different t-stats is to raise the limit where you have full flow through the cooler; however, none of them raise this limit enough that it would be dangerous in the summer. Example, towing through the mountains in the summer I regularly see oil temps between 205 and 215 degrees. Regardless of whether I'm running a 180* t-stat or a 195* t-stat, they are both flowing fully through the cooler at this point.

Reactions: cRaZy8

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interested to see the impact. Thanks, CM!
No worries, I've kind of lucked out that I have to drive the same 125 mile route every day. I don't think I could afford the fuel or the time if the driving was purely for ****'s and giggles.

Reactions: djmaguire

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No. But thanks for asking. The wax-stat and spring are actually from a common STANT thermostat that fits pretty much every old school chevy V8.
So where is the adjustment made that affects the opening temperature? Did I need to swap the big springs?

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
So where is the adjustment made that affects the opening temperature? Did I need to swap the big springs?
The wax-stat is the adjustment. It expands at a different rate than the 180* and we recommend swapping the springs, but it would have still worked if you didn't.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
OMG man!! Say it ain't so! A friggin' Chevy part in my FORD?? LOL!!
Technically it's a STANT... While I don't know this for sure, I'd imagine that the wax-stats are common in most of the STANT line of thermostats. We just wanted to design around a wax-stat that was readily available and easy for the end user to acquire. So you're safe.

·
I win....
1,327 Posts
Any updates yet?
This is my first winter with my BPD cooler.
Its been below freezing for the last month or so.
I cant seem to get my EOT above 169*.
And it takes quite a bit to get that hot.
Not too mention it drops right back into the 158-162 range if I sit idle too long.

ECT during this is struggling to stay above 180*.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any updates yet?
This is my first winter with my BPD cooler.
Its been below freezing for the last month or so.
I cant seem to get my EOT above 169*.
And it takes quite a bit to get that hot.
Not too mention it drops right back into the 158-162 range if I sit idle too long.

ECT during this is struggling to stay above 180*.
So far unloaded it's been no change since the swap, which is concerning. I'm still seeing 160-165f unloaded at 65mph on a flat highway at various temperatures. I've tested between 15f-30f and between -5f and 5f so far. I haven't done it over my full spectrum of temperatures I collected data for from the 180* stat, nor have I done the trailer-tow portion of it yet. I'll do a full write up when I'm satisfied I've collected enough info to establish whether there is a significant change or not.

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts
You beat me to it Canadian Mind... I just got my new t-stat today and was gonna do a write up as well. If you dont mind, I'll just post my results here in your thread...

Thanks for the T-stat DieselFab, I'll be sure to notify you personally w my results

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts
No worries, I've kind of lucked out that I have to drive the same 125 mile route every day. I don't think I could afford the fuel or the time if the driving was purely for ****'s and giggles.
LOL, Mine's gonna be for $hits & gigs. No trailer testing though.. The boat is wrapped up and snowed in

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
This is in the interest of science, @michaelaiman. Is you digging out your boat trailer from three feet of snow to drag it around in freezing conditions *really* too much to ask?! I think not... ;)

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts
I know right... However its not just the digging it out thats holding me up... Its the 20 questions I'm gonna get because "somebody" always has to know what I'm doin not understand my explanation and then express why they wished I wasn't doing it.... That alone makes it not worth while.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mike, that's fine to share them here. At the rate my testing is going I hope you have better results. As for the trailer, it's just an empty horse trailer. Wind resistance was enough to get the oil temp at a steady 180-185 degrees.

I'm wondering if something else is dictating the EOT temps, or if my t-stats are the same rating somehow... Whether I did in fact have a 195 stat already, or if I was sent a 180 stat by mistake. If I see no change in all replicable circumstances, I'm going to boil the t-stats together and compare when they action. If they action at the same time, then it will show that one way or the other I have the same stat, if not it means that something else is regulating my EOT to 160-165f unloaded.

BUT... one step at a time. I want to confirm all my data points first before drawing any final conclusions. What I stated above is only a speculation drawn from initial results.

Reactions: michaelaiman
1 - 20 of 158 Posts