Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I read here often but rarely post but I have a question.

I have always run a hypertech program on my truck because it was easy to remove for warranty service. Now that my warranty is over I am open to adding more permanent options.

My buddy sold his 05 6.0 and took off a Edge juice w. Attitude and a Predator performance module. He had no need for them so he gave them to me.

I am happy with the hypertech but not that familiar with the other two. I think he had his stacked but did blow a HG so that may not be the route I would take.

Ideally I would be adding the Edge insight CTS but funds wont allow that now so just want to try to get some opinions on what I have laying around.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I would stay away from the diablo sport predator.. did use one for awhile what came with the truck.
Didnt like what it did to the truck... bought sct live wire with custom tunes and i like it.
Except the size of it..

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
USCTRACK - What year/engine/ trans is your truck? If you have a 6.0, the best option you can do is use the Edge for nothing but gauges and get an SCT with custom tunes!!

·
Registered
7,474 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How is the sct different from the hypertech that I have been running? I don't know a lot about them to compare and contrast. I believe that hypertech does adjust transmission as well, but I've been wrong before.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 06 6.0 4wd Tuscany edition. I don't know what transmission I have. If I were to get an SCT which model would you suggest being that I'm on a tight budget. Thanks.

See previous question as well.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
SCT SF3 is the way I would go. You could easily sell the others and buy a used one and still have money left over to get a custom file written for your truck.

Post a pic of your FTX! I too have one and don't see many out there I love these trucks!

·
Registered
534 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
Ideally I would be adding the Edge insight CTS but funds wont allow that now so just want to try to get some opinions on what I have laying around.

Thanks all.
This is where your screwing up!! A monitor solution should be your TOP PRIORITY before you start adding more power.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
570 Posts
I tested the Dr. Performance modules on my first 04 for OFFROAD magazine back in 04, and ran it for years, good product for what it is, FOLLOW THETRANSMISSION RELEARN PROCEDURES. I ran edge tuning in my cts evolution and did not like the drivability. I liked the hypertech max energy the best of any canned tunes that I ran. I have also run bullydog, Quadzilla, and others over the years. Custom tunes are the best if you have EGR delete, turbo gearing, or trans mods. Contrary to popular belief, the hypertech does correct the speedometer, and tune the transmission, it does not support EGR deletes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I have found a used SCT for $200 locally on craigslist this morning. I am putting the others up for sale.

I am not familiar with what the Predator does specifically but if I am running SCT would I need anything else.

This truck is not my daily driver and is mostly stock. it does have 33" tires but they came on it as part of the FTX package from the dealer. They hypertech is the only engine programming I have ever had on it.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Do you have any sort of monitoring system? If not sell all those programmers and get that. then the SCT. Do not stack programmers!!! you will only be using the edge cts(preferred) for monitoring, not tuning

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Make sure that the SCT device on Craigslist is NOT MARRIED to any other vehicles before buying!!! or you will have to pay SCT a fee of $150 or so to get it unlocked!

Some people put a tune on their truck, then sell their device that is locked to their truck. Make sure that the vehicle it was on before is put back to STOCK programing:nod:

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
Well I have found a used SCT for $200 locally on craigslist this morning. I am putting the others up for sale.

I am not familiar with what the Predator does specifically but if I am running SCT would I need anything else.

This truck is not my daily driver and is mostly stock. it does have 33" tires but they came on it as part of the FTX package from the dealer. They hypertech is the only engine programming I have ever had on it.
You never answered the question, DO YOU HAVE A MONITOR SOLUTION? This should be taken care of BEFORE you run a tuner, you need to know the health of your motor. If you choose to run without a monitor solution, any issue will be self inflicted.

As Eli said, when buying a used SCT, watch out for SCAMMERS. Here is some info.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...603-what-look-when-buying-used-sct-6-0-a.html

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
570 Posts
I 2nd the do not stack tuning devices idea, athough I have done it in the past before custom tuning was available.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I currently do not have a monitor but that is next. I've had the hypertech on there for 4+ years without one so I should be ok for a little while longer. I just want to try to get to a better and safer tuner for the truck since I can do it for $200.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts