Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 F350 SD with a 4r100 transmission. Recently after towing a heavy trailer and the transmission becoming hot, the truck bounces when starting slowly in reverse. This happens only in reverse, not in any other gear. It feels like starting a manual transmission in too high of a gear. It bounces or slips two or three pulses and then smooths out. After the overheating incident I had the filter and fluid changed using a synthetic transmission fluid. When checking fluid level after shop changed it, the level is too high. Is the overfilling of transmission fluid a problem? Did I hurt or burn something in transmission causing the pulsing problem?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Over filling is not a problem up to 2 inches above the full mark.
The most probable cause is the lip seal in the reverse clutch pack. It is marginal at best. Unfortunantly, it is the very last thing to be removed from the trans on disassembly and no trans shop is goeing to replace that seal without doeing an o, haul.
The other possibility is no pressure rise in reverse. This can only be confirmed with a 300 lb guage and someon who knows how to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Over filling is not a problem up to 2 inches above the full mark.
The most probable cause is the lip seal in the reverse clutch pack. It is marginal at best. Unfortunantly, it is the very last thing to be removed from the trans on disassembly and no trans shop is goeing to replace that seal without doeing an o, haul.
The other possibility is no pressure rise in reverse. This can only be confirmed with a 300 lb guage and someon who knows how to do it.
Thanks for the reply. I am currently in northern California but live in Missouri. Do you think I can drive the truck (without towing) back home? It still shakes in reverse but has gotten no worse and the forward gear seem unaffected.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts