Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2003 F-250 XL 7.3. I noticed the ride is a little harsh, ecspecially in the rear. It is one of those stripped down ex-fleet vehicles, I'm sure you've all seen them. I was wondering if the ride is due to heavy duty suspension or if it's just normal (I've never driven one with stock suspension). I also noticed the tire pressure settings for the rear seemed a little high. it says to inflate to 80 psi. I'm running 265/75-16 Anybody help please

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Thats probably right on the tire pressure. How many springs you have in the rear? I had a comapany F-350 once that had a service body on the back that was supposed to be a road service tire changing vehicle or something. Made to hold a air compressor, a welder and whatever else. Turns out I had F-550 springs in the rear! Made that truck ride like it had wooden tires or something!! I didnt have near the weight in the back that it could have held!

·
Registered
435 Posts
If you run the rears at 80psi you will wear the center out of your tires, run them 65-70 rear, 65-70 front, I air up the rear to tow to about 75.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Ive got 235's (dually) and I run 'em at 80. That too much for the tire size?

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Thats what I run mine at. 80 PSI. They are seeming to wear ok.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Thats what I run mine at. 80 PSI. They are seeming to wear ok.
Mine do too. I didn't know if 5psi would make that much of a noticeable difference though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm running them at 70 in the rear already but not much change. I've got 5 leaf springs together and one seperate.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
60 in all four corners. The tires I run are rated for 65 psi max. But I like 60 psi gives best tread wear and ride.

Loose the 265x75R16 and get 285x75R16 they give more cushion. Only one size bigger they also look way better on the truck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats probably right on the tire pressure. How many springs you have in the rear? I had a comapany F-350 once that had a service body on the back that was supposed to be a road service tire changing vehicle or something. Made to hold a air compressor, a welder and whatever else. Turns out I had F-550 springs in the rear! Made that truck ride like it had wooden tires or something!! I didnt have near the weight in the back that it could have held!
I've got 5 leaf springs together and one seperate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts